Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » General Questions

Thread: How can an author give a free ebook?


Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 18 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: Sep 15, 2017 4:22 PM Last Post By: Notjohn
Grow More Loving

Posts: 2
Registered: 01/13/14
How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 13, 2014 7:30 AM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
What is the best way for an author to gift an eBook to a friend? Thanks.
Bethany

Posts: 72
Registered: 08/25/13
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 13, 2014 8:07 AM   in response to: Grow More Loving in response to: Grow More Loving
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Below the purchase with 1 click button there is a button that says give as a gift. You click that and enter the persons email address and complete the purchase. Or you can send them a mobi or epub version of the book and let them download it to their device themselves.
lsburton337

Posts: 974
Registered: 10/29/11
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 13, 2014 9:02 AM   in response to: Bethany in response to: Bethany
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
And doing it this way counts as a sale ;)

~ Lee

Editing Service: http://www.oceansedgeediting.com/
Site: http://www.paperseraglio.com/
Twitter: @PaperSeraglio
Grow More Loving

Posts: 2
Registered: 01/13/14
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 13, 2014 9:47 AM   in response to: Grow More Loving in response to: Grow More Loving
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thanks. Makes perfect sense. I appreciate your counsel.
jtbigtoad

Posts: 9,274
Registered: 08/01/10
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 13, 2014 10:13 AM   in response to: Grow More Loving in response to: Grow More Loving
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Note the process is simple for the USA store for the UK store, You have to create a gift card in the value of the book:

UK Gift cards:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/gc/order-email?ie=UTF8&design=kindle_treeboy_uk_10

JT

;)

(You have to open a Amazon.UK account -- it is easy.)

J

Edited by: jtbigtoad on Jan 13, 2014 10:16 AM
OK, I can't type!

pdsinger1

Posts: 1,637
Registered: 06/01/12
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 14, 2014 6:13 AM   in response to: lsburton337 in response to: lsburton337
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
And doing it this way counts as a sale ;)

It may also prevent them from either leaving a review or may remove a review they've left, because you now have established a gift giving relationship = personal relationship with them. Not to mention they don't have to use the gift on the book you intended them to have: they can use it for anything.

Just email them a file.
Emily Veinglory

Posts: 3,575
Registered: 04/25/13
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 14, 2014 7:50 AM   in response to: Grow More Loving in response to: Grow More Loving
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I prefer to just download one copy and give it to whomever I wish via email. It has the advantage of being free.
Onecraft

Posts: 1
Registered: 01/15/14
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 11:08 AM   in response to: Grow More Loving in response to: Grow More Loving
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
But can't an author get a discount with KDP as is the case with a print book sold through Create Space? -- Celeste
Emily Veinglory

Posts: 3,575
Registered: 04/25/13
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 12:59 PM   in response to: Onecraft in response to: Onecraft
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
You get it at cost, to the extent that you earn back the royalty you pay.
pdsinger1

Posts: 1,637
Registered: 06/01/12
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 6:17 PM   in response to: Onecraft in response to: Onecraft
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
As in a coupon code for a free book or reduced price? No, though you can do that through Smashwords.

With Createspace you are buying a physical object at wholesale. Not the same. You can email a copy of your archive mobi to anyone you like. Getting Amazon in the middle is making this harder than it needs to be.
killerjer

Posts: 248
Registered: 03/12/12
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 15, 2014 6:52 PM   in response to: Grow More Loving in response to: Grow More Loving
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've done this thru Amazon, so let me tell you my experience. (I did it thru Amazom.com, dunno re UK.)

As someone else mentioned, there's an option on the book product page to Give As A Gift. NOTE - you need to get the
e-mail address that your gift recipient uses to log into Amazon - many people have multiple e-mail addys, make sure you get the right one, I expect could be probs otherwise.

Giftee will get an e-mail from Amazon telling them of the gift. They CAN use this money for anything on Amazon - including MY book, as someone very cleverly suggested to me when i first asked.

You can go back and check the status of your gift, to see whether it's been downloaded by the giftee. You will get your normal royalties on the book, when the giftee downloads it, so, it will cost you the remainder of the book price. (I.e, if you get 70% royalties, you will 'lose' the remaining 30%; if you get 30% royalties, you will 'lose' the remaining 70%.) You will pay for the book as soon as you buy it, like any other; you will get your royalties on that sale down the road, like any other sale. If the giftee never downloads the book, you lose the whole purchase price.

Giving book as a gift thru Amazon does NOT prevent the giftee from writing a review; I've done it, they wrote review, was no problem. The only catch is that the giftee / reviewer will not show on the book product page as a 'confirmed' purchaser of the book. (The woman I gifted to was on top of this; she very nicely added to her review, 'I was given a copy of this book in return for a candid and honest review.')

Sorry, I don't know anything re the other suggestions, mobi files or whatever they were.

Hope that helps.

http://www.jrichmond.net
whiteorchidpub

Posts: 3
Registered: 07/23/10
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Jan 20, 2014 8:09 AM   in response to: pdsinger1 in response to: pdsinger1
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi - It sounds like you're on the same track I am and wanted to get your feedback.

I've been offer my ebook at a discounted price on my website and have used Smashwords coupon code to send the buyer there, but it remains an issue because most people don't want to create an account in Smashwords in order to get the book they paid for. SOOO, I started sending two-three versions epub, mobi, and sometimes pdf. What stops a person from sending that to all their friends? Is that a big concern for you or do you have a fix for that?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Kim Mitchell
Loving with Purpose
Ryan Hess

Posts: 1
Registered: 10/07/14
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Oct 6, 2014 7:34 PM   in response to: killerjer in response to: killerjer
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, I have a question about your experiment with gifting ebooks to people as an author. I am wondering if this could be done as part of a promotion where the book was priced at $0.99, then I purchased and gifted it as desired. Then (perhaps the next day), I raised the price to whatever I intend to charge as normal list (say $4.99). Would the receiver of the gift be able to download the book I gifted/sent to them, or would they only have a $0.99 gift card and need $4 more for the book -- since the price was now higher?
cdalebrittain

Posts: 11,585
Registered: 03/05/11
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Oct 6, 2014 7:41 PM   in response to: Ryan Hess in response to: Ryan Hess
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
If you're giving them a 99c gift card, no, they won't be able to buy a $4.99 book with it. I think you just figured this out yourself. As long as you keep in mind that you are "gifting" a gift card, not the book itself, it all makes sense.
Andy McKell

Posts: 4
Registered: 07/31/13
Re: How can an author give a free ebook?
Posted: Oct 25, 2016 10:25 AM   in response to: Grow More Loving in response to: Grow More Loving
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
As a UK resident, I cannot buy an ebook from amazon.com, so cannot send a copy to US-based people.
As they are US-resident, they cannot use the voucher I send from the amazon.co.uk site.
Any suggestions?
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums