When I had an indent problem, I realized that what worked for me was saving the Word doc as an html file. The suffix is .htm. It's one of the choices in my Mac OS X Word 2003. You may be using a later version of Word, but have you tried it?
The only other suggestion is to make sure that you are using the first line indent set by Word, not tabs.
I've used MobiPocket only for my first book--the rest went fine via Word saved as html and uploaded to Kindle.
Thank you, Gabriella. I tried saving in web htm, and that did correct the indent problems beautifully........ but then, alas, six or seven graphics did not convert.
When I save the Word doc file in web htm, two files pop out beside it--one with the text and one with the graphics------- and I don't know how to get them together, to merge.
Do you have any graphics/photos in your manuscript, and if so, did the graphics convert to Kindle along with the text when you saved in htm?
My original manuscript is saved as a 2004 version of Word doc that includes both text and graphics, and they are fine on my screen, but I can't get them working together on the Kindle conversion no matter how I save them.
I SO DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO GET A PC WITH WINDOWS JUST FOR THIS! Surely there is some way to convert to Kindle from a Mac.
If you're uploading the htm document to KDP then you need 'zip' the file together with the images. Html files don't contain images, just pointers to the external images - so if you don't upload those images they aren't going to appear in your book.
I don't use a Mac, but I think to Zip on a Mac you right click on the folder containing the htm file and all the images and then select Compress. This should create one 'file' with the extension .zip which you can upload.
Thank you, Matt. It's the "zipping" the two (text file and image file) together that I cannot figure out how to do.
There is no such thing as a "right click" on a Mac mouse. It's just one click for everything.
If I can't figure out how to get the twain to meet, I'm going to have to delete the images so that I can do the "web htm" thing which fixes the paragraph indentations.
The old English teacher in me just cringes when I see the squirrely indents, and given the choice, I'd rather have the paragraph indents right than have images scattered throughout the books.
My TUCKASEEGEE CHRONICLES are 25 or more short novels in a long series/saga, and I have put eight on Kindle already that I must get in better shape (formatting) before I go further. I can see that the writing and story are being well-received by an interested market, but sooner or later I'll get bad reviews for the formatting unless I can figure this out now.
Thank you again, Matt and Gabriella. With your suggestions I have made some progress, although the learning curve is still steep for me.
It's easy, Betty! It's just called something else. Select the folder, and then choose (from the file menu) "compress." That's the same as zipping.
What you need to do is:
1) make an empty folder (give it your book title)
2) save the Word doc as an .htm file
3) put that new file AND the resulting folder (it will say something like "book title files") into that new folder.
4) compress that new folder
5) upload the zipped file to Amazon
That way, you can have images AND paragraph indents! Yay! I learned how to do that from someone in the forums here, and it saved my life. Well, my books' lives, that is.
Thank you for telling me how to compress and zip and upload to Kindle. That took care of all my indent problems and allowed me to keep images, but it created another problem. The font changed from Times New Roman to an entirely different font that looks like Courier (not sure), and now the whole thing looks like a typed manuscript rather than a real book.
Do you have any thoughts on why that happened, and is it fixable?
Oh goodness. What a pain! I'm sure it's fixable somehow, though I've never had that happen.
What I would suggest is making a completely new document, pasting in your content as unformatted, and then re-applying your formatting (have you read Mark Coker's guide on Smashwords--free--on preparing a clean document?) and trying again. The few times that I've had just weird "things" go wrong, making a clean document solved those problems. Sometimes when you fiddle too much, or email something back and forth, weird "things" slip in somehow. I can't explain it.
But yuck, no, you don't want courier! Times New Roman SHOULD work for you. You're working in .doc, right, not .docx?
I unformatted the whole thing and started fresh, so all is good now, I think.
I still don't know how I managed to fix all my squirrely indents and images (compress and zip) but have the ENTIRE document revert back to courier font, but the history on it is that I started this series of novels back in 1990 or so on the first Mac SE in courier font, which at that time was the standard for manuscripts. Then about five computers later (all Macs) I had transferred the novels onto my next new computer and switched over to Times New Roman, which had become the standard font. So somehow that old courier font original was hibernating in there all this time.
Lesson learned. Thanks again. I'm going to leave this posting as "question not yet anwswered" though, in case I run into any more strange things.