Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » General Questions

Thread: Hitch? Can you help me?


Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 26 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: Nov 20, 2017 1:54 PM Last Post By: writerbn
Walter L Miller

Posts: 14
Registered: 10/27/17
Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 9, 2017 12:51 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello there. Notjohn suggested I use that subject line and perhaps you might respond.

Here's the original post:
https://kdp.amazon.com/community/post!reply.jspa?messageID=1888130

I converted my friends printed book into a Kindle book using KindleTextBookCreator (it has many, many images, photos etc). I have an iPad and the hyperlinks don't work. I tap on a link and the page navigation appears at the bottom of my Kindle reader. My author friend has an Android (Verizon Ellipsis) and all the links work fine in his Kindle reader. Does anyone know if this is a Safari issue? I'm using the latest Kindle Reader app on my iPad.

Thank you.
Notjohn

Posts: 22,956
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 10, 2017 4:05 AM   in response to: Walter L Miller in response to: Walter L Miller
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Is this the Table of Contents or some other hyperlink in the text? (It's not, by any chance, a link to your book on the Amazon store? That's a no-no in the Apple world.)
Walter L Miller

Posts: 14
Registered: 10/27/17
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 10, 2017 9:49 AM   in response to: Notjohn in response to: Notjohn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
It's both the TOC and external links. The external links have nothing to do with book sales. They are research sources.

Edit: Well, Notjohn, I think you've provided the answer. There is, in fact, a link at the very end of the book to the paperback edition. So I'm assuming all links have been disabled - how petty of Apple. Thank you for the time you spend here helping out in the community.

Edited by: Walter L Miller on Nov 10, 2017 9:56 AM
writerbn

Posts: 5,233
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 10, 2017 11:52 AM   in response to: Walter L Miller in response to: Walter L Miller
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Walter L Miller wrote:
It's both the TOC and external links. The external links have nothing to do with book sales. They are research sources.

Edit: Well, Notjohn, I think you've provided the answer. There is, in fact, a link at the very end of the book to the paperback edition. So I'm assuming all links have been disabled - how petty of Apple. Thank you for the time you spend here helping out in the community.


I have external links to my author page, social media sites, etc. in my books. The links work just fine on my iPad, running the latest version of iOS 11.
Walter L Miller

Posts: 14
Registered: 10/27/17
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 10, 2017 12:02 PM   in response to: writerbn in response to: writerbn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
That's interesting. Do you have any links to the Amazon store?
Walter L Miller

Posts: 14
Registered: 10/27/17
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 9:50 AM   in response to: Notjohn in response to: Notjohn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I've removed the link to the Amazon store. There are four links to external web sites (research sources) None are remotely connected to Amazon. The links still to not work on my iPad. It's an older iPad that cannot be upgraded to iOS 11. The links do work on Android devices (Kindle Fire and Verizon Ellipsis). I would appreciate any help with this. If you know that the issue is the iOS version I would really appreciate knowing - then I can stop trying to find a solution. Thank you.

Edited by: Walter L Miller on Nov 15, 2017 9:50 AM

Edited by: Walter L Miller on Nov 15, 2017 9:51 AM
writerbn

Posts: 5,233
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 10:38 AM   in response to: Walter L Miller in response to: Walter L Miller
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Walter L Miller wrote:
That's interesting. Do you have any links to the Amazon store?
I don't link directly to the Ama*zon page, because I sell my books at many retailers, and I use one ePub file for all of them. That's why it pays to have your own website.

Edit: I just checked one of my books on my iPad, and the links work fine. It's running iOS 11; however, I recall that they also used to work with older versions of iOS. Maybe it's the Kindle app that's causing the problem; do you have the latest version?

Edited by: writerbn on Nov 15, 2017 10:41 AM
Walter L Miller

Posts: 14
Registered: 10/27/17
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 11:48 AM   in response to: writerbn in response to: writerbn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Yes, I'm using the latest version of Kindle Reader. (Boy under tree etc). Also, I used TextBookCreator - it's fixed format. If there's a way, I would be glad to gift you a copy - definitely worth $3 to see if it works on your iOS 11 device. The sample won't work - it doesn't include the links.
writerbn

Posts: 5,233
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 1:59 PM   in response to: Walter L Miller in response to: Walter L Miller
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Walter L Miller wrote:
Yes, I'm using the latest version of Kindle Reader. (Boy under tree etc). Also, I used TextBookCreator - it's fixed format. If there's a way, I would be glad to gift you a copy - definitely worth $3 to see if it works on your iOS 11 device. The sample won't work - it doesn't include the links.

Ah, I didn't realize it was a fixed-format book. All bets are off, then; I have no experience with them. Maybe Hitch will chime in.
booknookbiz

Posts: 4,003
Registered: 03/04/10
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 3:52 PM   in response to: writerbn in response to: writerbn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
writerbn wrote:
Walter L Miller wrote:
Yes, I'm using the latest version of Kindle Reader. (Boy under tree etc). Also, I used TextBookCreator - it's fixed format. If there's a way, I would be glad to gift you a copy - definitely worth $3 to see if it works on your iOS 11 device. The sample won't work - it doesn't include the links.

Ah, I didn't realize it was a fixed-format book. All bets are off, then; I have no experience with them. Maybe Hitch will chime in.


I shall.

Outbound links, in a MOBI, on an iPad, ARE disabled, on all types of books. Someone here claimed that their links do work--but they don't. Not on an iPad, not unless something's changed in the last week.

This is because of Apple, indeed. About 5 years ago, they INSISTED that Amazon had to pay them 50% of all sales that were made from "in app purchases." That meant that if an Amazon customer browsed to buy a book, from within the "Kindle for iOS" app, Apple thought that they were entitled to 50% of the money.

Amazon had a few words for them, and they weren't "happy birthday." They disabled ALL, repeat, ALL outbound links from within a Kindle book on the official "Kindle for iOS" reader. (nb.: if you read the MOBI file or KPF, etc., on the "Kindle Cloud reader" on your iOS, those will work, because that's a browser and Apple can't claim the money from sales.)

That's why they don't work. @Writerbn: I seriously doubt that your outbound links work. Perhaps they are newly allowed to work for something like FB, Twitter, etc.--that may have changed quite recently--but anything else is a non-starter. At least, that's how it's been for at least 5 years, regardless of whether we're talking fixed-layout or reflowable.

Hope that helps.

Hitch
We produce eBooks
An Amazon Professional Conversion Service : http://amzn.to/29pWZSg
www.Booknook.biz
Walter L Miller

Posts: 14
Registered: 10/27/17
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 5:29 PM   in response to: booknookbiz in response to: booknookbiz
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hitch, thank you very much. I'll stop worrying about it now.
Walter L Miller

Posts: 14
Registered: 10/27/17
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 6:15 PM   in response to: booknookbiz in response to: booknookbiz
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Update. The Kindle Cloud Reader would not open the KPF formatted book. It invited me to download the Kindle Reader App. I went through that process with an iPhone, registered it etc, downloaded the book. And of course, the links would not work. So apparently for KPF books there is no work-around for external links (at this time).
booknookbiz

Posts: 4,003
Registered: 03/04/10
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 8:42 PM   in response to: Walter L Miller in response to: Walter L Miller
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Walter L Miller wrote:
Update. The Kindle Cloud Reader would not open the KPF formatted book. It invited me to download the Kindle Reader App. I went through that process with an iPhone, registered it etc, downloaded the book. And of course, the links would not work. So apparently for KPF books there is no work-around for external links (at this time).

Walter:

OK, so: you made a KPF in KTC, right? And the PDF or source document that you used has live links. You are friends with someone who has a tablet, Droid, and the links WORK on his reader? His Kindle 4 Droid reader? That's what you said?

No, wait--you're STILL trying to view the file, on an iPhone? That's STILL an iOS device--NO links, for ANY iOS device, will work. That's what I tried to explain, earlier. I didn't mean "on the iPad only," I meant, on iOS devices--all of them. iOS=NO LINKS WORK. It has nothing to do with KTC/KPF.

Hitch
We produce eBooks
An Amazon Professional Conversion service : http://amzn.to/29pWZSg
www.Booknook.Biz
Walter L Miller

Posts: 14
Registered: 10/27/17
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 15, 2017 10:52 PM   in response to: booknookbiz in response to: booknookbiz
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi Hitch,

I'm sorry, I didn't express myself very well. You mentioned external links would work by reading the KPF on the Kindle Cloud reader. I was merely trying to say that the Kindle Cloud Reader won't open the KPF book. It directed me to download the Kindle Reader instead. I followed that procedure through just in case it was something different than the Kindle Reader for iOS. Of course it was not. Yes, I understand about iOS across various Apple devices. I used the iPhone because there's never been any kind of an e-book reader on it.

Perhaps the Kindle Cloud reader will be able to open a KPF book in a future version - I hope so.

Thank you again for your kindness in taking the time to respond to my request.
writerbn

Posts: 5,233
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Hitch? Can you help me?
Posted: Nov 16, 2017 4:41 AM   in response to: booknookbiz in response to: booknookbiz
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
booknookbiz wrote:
That's why they don't work. @Writerbn: I seriously doubt that your outbound links work. Perhaps they are newly allowed to work for something like FB, Twitter, etc.--that may have changed quite recently--but anything else is a non-starter. At least, that's how it's been for at least 5 years, regardless of whether we're talking fixed-layout or reflowable.

All my outbound links work on the iPad Kindle app, but I don't link to the Ama*zon store. The links are to my author website, Goodreads, etc. They've worked as long as I can remember, but my memory doesn't stretch very far these days :)

Maybe it has something to do with uploading ePubs, but I doubt it.
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums