Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Voice of the Author / Publisher » Voice of the Author / Publisher

Thread: When do you call a book a bestseller.


Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 24 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: Jan 25, 2018 1:06 PM Last Post By: C. Gold
andreea danciu

Posts: 24
Registered: 10/27/17
When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 23, 2018 10:46 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello everyone.
If you got in top 100 bestsellers in one category. Can you call your book a bestseller for that category?
For exemple if a book was around place #55 for a few days in top 100 paranormal romance bestsellers in UK, can it be considered one?
Sorry if this question seems stupid, but I need to understand how things work.
Donna St Felix

Posts: 6,387
Registered: 09/18/13
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 12:04 AM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
andreea danciu wrote:
If you got in top 100 bestsellers in one category. Can you call your book a bestseller for that category?
For exemple if a book was around place #55 for a few days in top 100 paranormal romance bestsellers in UK, can it be considered one?
Sorry if this question seems stupid, but I need to understand how things work.

I don't think that would count and actually, #55 in one country for one category (or sub-category) isn't really a mind blower.
andreea danciu

Posts: 24
Registered: 10/27/17
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 1:53 AM   in response to: Donna St Felix in response to: Donna St Felix
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Is not about blowing someone's mind. Is about me understanding how things work, because I keep seeing advertising like " some country's Bestseller" and if you look that book up is not in top 100 on that country Amazon page, but it might have been at some point.
That is what I am confused about.
raggedcover

Posts: 136
Registered: 02/08/10
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 2:26 AM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
It's only a play on words. Just because it's on a papers or booksellers 'Best Seller' list means nothing if no one is buying it. If you have only two books one must be the best seller of the two.

Claim what you want for example 'Best Seller in 2017'. For you, it would be. Although the purchaser may ask on who's list. Better to say 'My Best Seller for 2017' or just 'My Best Seller'.

Don't claim best seller for another party, then it is fraud, or be prepared to have the party confirm the fact..

So 'Ranked 55 in Amazon's Best Seller category in Paranormal' providing you can show it did, is not deceiving the reader. Whether there is any value, that is another question.
writerbn

Posts: 5,816
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 5:17 AM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
andreea danciu wrote:
Hello everyone.
If you got in top 100 bestsellers in one category. Can you call your book a bestseller for that category?
For exemple if a book was around place #55 for a few days in top 100 paranormal romance bestsellers in UK, can it be considered one?
Sorry if this question seems stupid, but I need to understand how things work.

People claim all sorts of things, but any time I see a claim to be an "Amazon bestseller" I ignore the book. As others have said, being #1 in an obscure subcategory has no meaning.

For me, the only bestseller lists that count are the NYT, WSJ, or USA Today lists.
Ralph E Vaughan

Posts: 3,604
Registered: 12/01/12
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 7:56 AM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
You'll see almost anything in advertising, but Amazon has very strict rules, especially when showing stuff on the cover or making claims in the blurb. Books that appear on the bestseller list for USA, NYT, WSJ, Locus and the like can be called and advertised as bestsellers because they are and those lists are significant, either in the industry or the genre. Being in the Amazon Top Hundred might get you noticed by readers, but not necessarily by Amazon. Getting in the Top Hundred is not impossible for many, perhaps even most, writers, and it's far easier in the U.K. than in the U.S. But, merely getting into the Top Hundred for a sub-genre for a few days probably won't result in a bestseller ribbon from Amazon, if only because it's not significant. Even the All-Amazon bestseller list is not an important industry signifier, possibly because it's not mass media based. Exactly how the bestseller ribbon is awarded is just one more Amazonian mystery in a universe of mysteries.
Jonathan B

Posts: 4,612
Registered: 10/23/12
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 8:56 AM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
We had a poster where when I first joined who constantly trumpeted his "best seller" as proof of his rather outlandish advice with which he was blessing the rest of us low-lifes. Turned out he had some sort of soccer hooligan book in a category where there were two books. I don't remember his overall ranking but I think it was over a million.

The Amazon best-seller ribbon is put ona book when it reaches #1 in a given category. As soon as it drops to #2, the ribbon is removed. So, if you get a ribbon for one on your books, better take a screen shot. :)

Claiming best-seller status is a risky move if it is for an Amazon sub-category. In previous forum threads, the concensus was to claim that only if a book was on the overall Top 100 list, and even then, it might not be a good idea.
Patrick A. Smith

Posts: 1,927
Registered: 04/27/13
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 12:07 PM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
andreea danciu wrote:
Hello everyone.
If you got in top 100 bestsellers in one category. Can you call your book a bestseller for that category?
For exemple if a book was around place #55 for a few days in top 100 paranormal romance bestsellers in UK, can it be considered one?
Sorry if this question seems stupid, but I need to understand how things work.

The only time best seller means anything to me is if its my best seller, which means nothing to anyone else. Many times books become best sellers because they have a lot of paid advertising and many people will read what they're told to read! Not me. Many times if you look up reviews on those same books there are thousands of them that say they don't like the book.
Ned Kelly

Posts: 1,179
Registered: 09/05/15
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 12:11 PM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
In 2006 I had a book published by a trad house and to my surprise in bookstores across the country there were posters claiming it was a best seller even before it was released...

So the phrase is definitely subject to interpretation (I didn't complain mind you)

I'd suggest that just maybe you could use "best seller" if in genre it rose to number one, and then be honest, use the term "No 1 Seller in Amazon (country & genre)" or similar. The real measure is the overall Amazon rating.

Trying to fool the public with false claims can cause more trouble than its worth

Cheers

Ned
Simon Farrance

Posts: 50
Registered: 03/10/16
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 12:34 PM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have had several books reach number one in subcategories. It’s given rise to some amusement in our family, but I always knew it wasn’t the same as a real bestseller. I used to take the screenshot, but these days I rarely even look at the rankings.
Mary Peebels

Posts: 592
Registered: 01/07/16
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 12:52 PM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
andreea danciu wrote:
Hello everyone.
If you got in top 100 bestsellers in one category. Can you call your book a bestseller for that category?
For exemple if a book was around place #55 for a few days in top 100 paranormal romance bestsellers in UK, can it be considered one?
Sorry if this question seems stupid, but I need to understand how things work.

I only have two books so far, so I’m no authority on this subject. Both are sometimes in the 100 best sellers in three sub-categories of teen and young adult.

I don’t consider them best sellers. It’s Amazon that chooses to refer to books as best sellers in sub-categories. It’s called smart marketing.

I don't think it's a good idea to focus too much on what your book is doing compared to other books. The only reason my books don't sink to the #one-million rank or worse is because I'm always running some type of promotion. I've seen excellent books in the #two-million rank or worse.
andreea danciu

Posts: 24
Registered: 10/27/17
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 1:19 PM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thank you for all your answers.
The reason why I am interested is not for advertising. I was trying to understand if it can be considered a bestseller because there is someone I need to prove wrong.
This person is someone who discouraged me ever since I discovered my passion for writing, who turned my mother against my ( at that time) hobby, who threw away my first notebook with stories and all the others that followed. A person with whom I had great trust and who did not trust me in return.
He used to tell me to give up on such stupid dreams because people these days ( 15 years ago) don't have time to and are not interested to read books anymore. I should focus my attention on something that will bring money, loads of them.
Money was more important to him than my happiness.
Mary Peebels

Posts: 592
Registered: 01/07/16
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 2:48 PM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
andreea danciu wrote:
Thank you for all your answers.
The reason why I am interested is not for advertising. I was trying to understand if it can be considered a bestseller because there is someone I need to prove wrong.
This person is someone who discouraged me ever since I discovered my passion for writing, who turned my mother against my ( at that time) hobby, who threw away my first notebook with stories and all the others that followed. A person with whom I had great trust and who did not trust me in return.
He used to tell me to give up on such stupid dreams because people these days ( 15 years ago) don't have time to and are not interested to read books anymore. I should focus my attention on something that will bring money, loads of them.
Money was more important to him than my happiness.

Andreea, there's people who delight in breaking another person's spirit. Please realize that what he said indicates more about him than it does about you.

Someone once said the same thing about my enthusiasm with writing. It hurt at the time, but I soon observed that he used 'verbal road rage' on others when he felt like a failure.

Look, here's the way I see it: If Amazon chooses to show your book in a list of 100 Top Best Sellers, it's how Amazon sees your book, no matter what the reason.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off. New day, new opportunities.
C. Gold

Posts: 1,312
Registered: 02/17/15
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 3:01 PM   in response to: andreea danciu in response to: andreea danciu
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
What a #$#$#. A person like that probably wouldn't care if you achieved best selling status, they'd still make snide remarks about how much that earned you. There is this person on Facebook who posted his Book Report (a tool for KDP reporting) that showed him earning a million dollars over the years he's been selling books. If you could shove something like that in that dude's face, that would be awesome. Even if it had a few less zeroes.
andreea danciu

Posts: 24
Registered: 10/27/17
Re: When do you call a book a bestseller.
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 11:28 PM   in response to: Mary Peebels in response to: Mary Peebels
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I know what you say Mary, but tell those things to a child and hope it won't be messed up.
I know I shouldn't mind it anymore, but I still want to shove a report in his face and tell him that he was wrong and he can f*** off.
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums