Over the last several weeks, my sales have been slumping, which is not surprising as the book that was scheduled to come out at the end of last month is not finished yet. The sales are down, but still fairly robust.
I am somewhat anal in keeping stats. At midnight PST, I record my month-to-date total, so I know how many of each book I've sold each day.
There has always been a small difference between the daily total as determined by the month-to-date unit sales and the sales as indicated on the dashboard. I attributed that to reporting procedures. The difference varied, but was probably less than 2% one way or the other.
SInce the beginning of October, my sales have dipped to the low 100's per day (not including KU/KOLL numbers). Yesterday was no different, according to my Sales Dashboard. However, when I tallied my daily sales from the Month-to-Date Unit sales, that tally was less than half of that figure. One book, for example, had 29 sales for the day according to the dashboard, yet the month-to-date tally only increased by four from the previous day. (That book also has sales recorded for Oct 6 on the sales dashboard, but the number in the month-to-date sales has not changed.)
I know most people don't keep such close track of their sales, but I was wondering if anyone that does keep track also noticed some weird numbers.
My print sales are far more frequent than my Kindle sales (at least 10x overall). So my Kindle figures aren't as statistically meaningful as yours. But for me, my Kindle sales for yesterday were more than double any other day so far this month.
Like you I keep a daily check on my stats and the kindle sales are woefully bad at the moment. although borrows are fine. The graph is showing sales that aren't in my figures and the red line has dipped over the last couple of days. Usually I put this down to someone flooding the market with cheap old books ie: Saul's back catalogue being released, but that doesn't tally with where I am on the author's list.
I have also noticed that books aren't going through the review process as promptly and can take over twenty four hours to hit the live status. My last book took fifteen hours to hit the UK, and other markets, but in the US it was nearly twenty four. Uploaded a new book last night and it's still in review thirteen hours later. They aren't replying to emails promptly and I'm wondering how many sales might be getting lost in the system if they've overstretched themselves with KU.
I am seeing the same thing. MAJOR discrepancy between the sales dashboard and the month to date report. I use the MTD because it seems to be more accurate when compared to the monthly reports, but yesterday's figures are not adding up at all. My MTD report is showing only 32% of the sales that the dashboard is showing.
Me too. My dash has been registering sales which have not shown up on my MTD for two days now. If they show up eventually that's fine but I can't help worrying that it's the MTD figures that are accurate and not the dashboard figures. Yes - I'm definitely a half glass empty sort of person
What I've seen so far is that the dashboard shows all sales, even those that haven't finalized yet whereas the MTD shows only the finalized sales, which, yes, makes it more accurate. Also, I've noticed that weird things with reporting seem to happen when around the time the monthly sales reports are prepared and released, when payments are prepared, and also when KDP or Amazon are implementing a new program. Makes me wonder what they're up to now.
When I purchased an eBook last week, I noticed that it took about 3 days before the charge showed up on my credit card activity. Slower processing of charges may account for the more noticeable differences between the dashboard and the MTD; in the past the charge usually appeared within a few hours. I just checked my dashboard vs. MTD, and there was a pretty big discrepancy there.
I did query Amazon, and I received the response that the Sale Summary occurs when an order is placed while the month-to-date is tallied when the charge is recorded.
However, my sales summary numbers have been pretty steady for over a week, and they were at a plateau about 20% higher for the week prior to that (and much higher for the previous couple of months).
So if it is taking Amazon, say, a couple of days to process orders, then for Oct 5, for my month-to-date, I should be seeing orders placed on Oct 2 or 3. Those days had almost the exact same number of orders on the sales summary as Oct 5, so the numbers should even out. Instead, the discrepancy for Oct 5 was by more than 50%.
The only way this makes sense is if Amazon suddenly had some processing problem which started a day or two ago. I will look closely at today's (Oct 6) numbers in about six hours and see what happens.