Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » General Questions

Thread: Paperback option


This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Mar 4, 2017 9:00 AM Last Post By: MR R J LAIDLER
Karin Crous

Posts: 1
Registered: 03/05/16
Paperback option
Posted: Dec 16, 2016 10:45 PM
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I am publishing ebooks and paperbacks through createspace and pulled through to kdp.

Yesterday I was informed that kdp has a new process of publishing paperbacks that is very easy to configure. I have checked for myself and the only process I can find to self publish a paperback, is through createspace, pulled through to kdp.

Is there a seperate proces or is the the process through createspace?

The createspace is relative easy and is working for me. Their support is excellent.
Florrie Person

Posts: 367
Registered: 09/20/16
Re: Paperback option
Posted: Dec 17, 2016 1:39 AM   in response to: Karin Crous in response to: Karin Crous
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Karin Crous wrote:
I am publishing ebooks and paperbacks through createspace and pulled through to kdp.

Yesterday I was informed that kdp has a new process of publishing paperbacks that is very easy to configure. I have checked for myself and the only process I can find to self publish a paperback, is through createspace, pulled through to kdp.

Is there a seperate proces or is the the process through createspace?

The createspace is relative easy and is working for me. Their support is excellent.

Not everyone has the option yet. I only got it myself last week and there are a few important factors missing. For instance, no proof copies available, no author copies at cost price available, and one thing I really don't like is that if you have a wrap around cover, it must be in pdf format. I have always uploaded a jpg wraparound via CS's templates, but there is no option for that. I like the fact that the sales appear on the Amazon dashboard and so do the royalties. I never did quite trust the CS royalties, couldn't make head nor tail of them. There is no reason to change unless you want to.
Donna St Felix

Posts: 5,489
Registered: 09/18/13
Re: Paperback option
Posted: Dec 17, 2016 1:41 AM   in response to: Karin Crous in response to: Karin Crous
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Karin Crous wrote:
I am publishing ebooks and paperbacks through createspace and pulled through to kdp.
Yesterday I was informed that kdp has a new process of publishing paperbacks that is very easy to configure. I have checked for myself and the only process I can find to self publish a paperback, is through createspace, pulled through to kdp.
Is there a seperate proces or is the the process through createspace?
The createspace is relative easy and is working for me. Their support is excellent.

Stay with CreateSpace unless you like headaches.
benarroch

Posts: 969
Registered: 12/16/10
Re: Paperback option
Posted: Dec 17, 2016 2:48 AM   in response to: Donna St Felix in response to: Donna St Felix
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I recommend KDP for paperbacks. To me the uploading was much simpler than any other I have used, you can upload also a doc file, not only pdf.
and You can follow all sales through amazon on one dashboard.

Main probelm, distribution is only on amazon.

Notjohn

Posts: 23,018
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: Paperback option
Posted: Dec 17, 2016 6:25 AM   in response to: Karin Crous in response to: Karin Crous
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Stick with Createspace as long as it exists, or anyhow until Beta gets Better. You don't have nearly as much control, you can't get a physical proof copy, you can't buy copies at a discount, and you can't sell through Barnes & Noble.

Good luck! -- NJ

The book: Notjohn's Guide to Kindle Publishing

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com
Ward Rogers

Posts: 1,308
Registered: 12/02/16
Re: Paperback option
Posted: Dec 17, 2016 8:13 AM   in response to: Notjohn in response to: Notjohn
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Notjohn wrote:
Stick with Createspace as long as it exists, or anyhow until Beta gets Better. You don't have nearly as much control, you can't get a physical proof copy, you can't buy copies at a discount, and you can't sell through Barnes & Noble.

Good luck! -- NJ

The book: Notjohn's Guide to Kindle Publishing

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com


I agree. Anyone who recommends the kdp/print beta is a complete and utter fool. Only a clueless dunce would think it better than cs.
Alex Ryan

Posts: 861
Registered: 06/07/16
Re: Paperback option
Posted: Dec 17, 2016 9:18 AM   in response to: Ward Rogers in response to: Ward Rogers
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Ward Rogers wrote:
Notjohn wrote:
Stick with Createspace as long as it exists, or anyhow until Beta gets Better. You don't have nearly as much control, you can't get a physical proof copy, you can't buy copies at a discount, and you can't sell through Barnes & Noble.

Good luck! -- NJ

The book: Notjohn's Guide to Kindle Publishing

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

I agree. Anyone who recommends the kdp/print beta is a complete and utter fool. Only a clueless dunce would think it better than cs.


I think that is a little bit harsh. I put three of mine out in KPD Print and found the process to be fairly painless, but I have no basis for comparison. I suspect Zon is in the process of phasing out Createspace, which would be a valid reason to consider KDP Print if you're just starting out.
loraininflorida

Posts: 285
Registered: 01/12/11
Re: Paperback option
Posted: Dec 19, 2016 7:03 PM   in response to: Alex Ryan in response to: Alex Ryan
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I'm in the process of switching over too, one book done ten to go. A word of warning, KDP Paperback says this quite clearly: the switch is permanent. Once done, there's no going back to Createspace.
newmansouth

Posts: 363
Registered: 03/29/12
Re: Paperback option
Posted: Dec 23, 2016 3:17 PM   in response to: Karin Crous in response to: Karin Crous
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I personally love the move by the KDP.
I have no problems with it, since most, if not all my CS sales come from Amazon channels.

I would like to move all my books to KDP and close down my CS account if possible.
I had payment issues with CS recently, when they ask me funny questions, even though they had the answers.

Anyway, this is my situation, and I don't say you should do the same thing.

John Monyjok Maluth
John Burger

Posts: 2
Registered: 10/05/12
Re: Paperback option
Posted: Mar 4, 2017 8:03 AM   in response to: Karin Crous in response to: Karin Crous
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I switched over to KDP paperback since the vast majority of my paperback sales come from Amazon.

PROS:
  • I can mark the price of my books lower through KDP than Createspace would allow me to set them. Now instead of $10.99, I can sell it for $8.99 and make the same amount on royalties as I was making before.
  • Reporting is all in one place and easy to track.
  • Uploading it was easier to me than Createspace (not that CS was hard). But it's an identical process to uploading an ebook into KDP.

CONS:
  • No proof copies. They say this is coming, and I hope it comes quick.
  • No author wholesale price. I sell books at signings and conferences, so this is annoying, but they say this feature is coming as well.

Not sure why they can't get the proof copy and wholesale price figured out. I'm hopeful they will have these soon. But the ability to have more control over the price and having the reporting in one place is a big plus.

Edited by: John Burger on Mar 4, 2017 8:04 AM
MR R J LAIDLER

Posts: 773
Registered: 09/26/16
Re: Paperback option
Posted: Mar 4, 2017 9:00 AM   in response to: John Burger in response to: John Burger
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
That's an interesting remark about royalties. There has been a lot of discussion on here about the differences between CS & KDP but that's the first time anyone has mention that.
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums