Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » General Questions

Thread: SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold


This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Apr 6, 2017 8:40 PM Last Post By: cdalebrittain
Kelly

Posts: 5
Registered: 09/23/16
SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 3:28 PM
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

I'm new here so please be patient. I've searched the forum and can't find a relevant thread.

But here's the situation. I published my first ebook under KDP Select late last month under the pen name K K Ness. The paperback version became available on Amazon last week (published by CreateSpace).

Now, here's the problem. According to my CreateSpace dashboard, I have had zero paperback sales. However, this morning on Amazon, you can now buy a 'used' copy of the paperback via SuperBookDeals at the astonishing price of $123.30. And to add to the confusion, the book isn't available for purchase on superbookdeals.com itself.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? I know I might be uniquely positioned to catch them out because of the lack of sales. I read somewhere that SuperBookDeals is owned by Amazon but I can't find any info on subsidiary ownership, so I might be completely wrong there. Either way, I'm confused. How can a company sell a 'used' paperback on Amazon that has never been printed/sold?
B.L. Alley

Posts: 997
Registered: 06/14/14
Re: SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 3:49 PM   in response to: Kelly in response to: Kelly
Helpful
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
If you went to the CreateSpace community you would have found dozens of threads about this. It's not relevant to Kindle
Kelly

Posts: 5
Registered: 09/23/16
Re: SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 4:11 PM   in response to: B.L. Alley in response to: B.L. Alley
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thanks, but I did search on the createspace community. Clearly under the wrong search parameters. What keywords do you recommend?
Kelly

Posts: 5
Registered: 09/23/16
Re: SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 4:13 PM   in response to: B.L. Alley in response to: B.L. Alley
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Actually, don't worry. I found it. Thanks for the heads up.
Ward Rogers

Posts: 1,022
Registered: 12/02/16
Re: SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 4:18 PM   in response to: Kelly in response to: Kelly
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Kelly wrote:
Hi,

I'm new here so please be patient. I've searched the forum and can't find a relevant thread.

But here's the situation. I published my first ebook under KDP Select late last month under the pen name K K Ness. The paperback version became available on Amazon last week (published by CreateSpace).

Now, here's the problem. According to my CreateSpace dashboard, I have had zero paperback sales. However, this morning on Amazon, you can now buy a 'used' copy of the paperback via SuperBookDeals at the astonishing price of $123.30. And to add to the confusion, the book isn't available for purchase on superbookdeals.com itself.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? I know I might be uniquely positioned to catch them out because of the lack of sales. I read somewhere that SuperBookDeals is owned by Amazon but I can't find any info on subsidiary ownership, so I might be completely wrong there. Either way, I'm confused. How can a company sell a 'used' paperback on Amazon that has never been printed/sold?

OMG! A bookseller selling a book they don't actually stock ... welcome to the 21st century, luv. Do you think people need your permission to sell a printed book? Or what price to ask? Really? Ever been in a bookstore? Ever seen stacks of permission slips from authors?

It's POD. If someone actually wants it (don't hold your breath) it'll be ordered and you'll get your pennies. All POD books are used...ain't no such thing as a first edition anymore.

Sure, you're new, but a little research (very little really, since it's asked here at least twice a week...along with "My book is being ravished by pirates!") would have put you in the know. Even googling a little look-see into the publishing and retail bookselling industries would have given you an inkling of the mechanisms of commerce. If you didn't want people to sell your book, why'd you publish it?

Kelly

Posts: 5
Registered: 09/23/16
Re: SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 4:27 PM   in response to: Ward Rogers in response to: Ward Rogers
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
All of my searching was done about 'SuperBookDeals' not about how 'used' in the publishing world doesn't actually mean 'used' like in the real world. Clearly, I have a lot to learn.

Appreciate the input (as sarcastic as it may be).

I won't apologise for asking for help and knowledge.
Joseph M Erhardt

Posts: 3,867
Registered: 12/21/15
Re: SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 4:47 PM   in response to: Kelly in response to: Kelly
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Kelly wrote:
All of my searching was done about 'SuperBookDeals' not about how 'used' in the publishing world doesn't actually mean 'used' like in the real world. Clearly, I have a lot to learn.

Appreciate the input (as sarcastic as it may be).

I won't apologise for asking for help and knowledge.


Just wait until people go after you for your "misspellings." ;)

Not excusing the snippy tone of some replies, but sometimes even the most laid-back of us get caught in a bad mood once in a while.
Kelly

Posts: 5
Registered: 09/23/16
Re: SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 5:16 PM   in response to: Joseph M Erhardt in response to: Joseph M Erhardt
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I am indeed today's newbie cliché :)

Will endeavour to do better next time!

(And my spelling is Australian English...please, no one go at me for that ;) )
Joseph M Erhardt

Posts: 3,867
Registered: 12/21/15
Re: SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 5:34 PM   in response to: Kelly in response to: Kelly
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Kelly wrote:
I am indeed today's newbie cliché :)

Will endeavour to do better next time!

(And my spelling is Australian English...please, no one go at me for that ;) )


Lord stone the crows. Should be "Strine English." Get it right! :)
solutionsetc

Posts: 81
Registered: 02/24/09
Re: SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 7:36 PM   in response to: Ward Rogers in response to: Ward Rogers
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Your response to Kelly is so wrong! I recently demanded that a seller remove a "Used copy" of one of my books that he was selling for three times the new price
No copy had ever sold so he could not be selling a used copy on Amazon. It was removed immediately.

Maybe it was on his drug price list.
cdalebrittain

Posts: 10,607
Registered: 03/05/11
Re: SuperBookDeals selling 'used' copy of a paperback that hasn't sold
Posted: Apr 6, 2017 8:14 PM   in response to: solutionsetc in response to: solutionsetc
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
solutionsetc wrote:
Your response to Kelly is so wrong! I recently demanded that a seller remove a "Used copy" of one of my books that he was selling for three times the new price
No copy had ever sold so he could not be selling a used copy on Amazon. It was removed immediately.

You're getting unnecessarily worked up. A lot of third-party sellers like to say they have "everything" in stock. Now of course they don't. But if they see a new book for sale they add it to their stock list. They price it ridiculously high, knowing no one will buy it at that price because they could buy it at list from Amazon. But in the meantime it makes your book look "valuable." If someone was foolish enough to pay the high price, the vendor would buy a copy from Amazon and resell it as "used."

If the vendor actually got a used copy in, he'd drop the price to something below list. It happens to everyone and isn't worth worrying about.
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums