Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » General Questions

Thread: REVIEW COPIES - best/cheapest way to provide them?


This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Oct 1, 2017 10:07 AM Last Post By: booknookbiz
Hilary Coombes

Posts: 1
Registered: 08/27/17
REVIEW COPIES - best/cheapest way to provide them?
Posted: Sep 30, 2017 8:57 AM
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I am plodding through this minefield of finding out the best or cheapest way to provide a reviewer with a copy of my book. I've never done this before. if you can help or advise me PLEASE PLEASE do. I'd be really grateful.
Donna St Felix

Posts: 5,125
Registered: 09/18/13
Re: REVIEW COPIES - best/cheapest way to provide them?
Posted: Sep 30, 2017 9:06 AM   in response to: Hilary Coombes in response to: Hilary Coombes
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hilary Coombes wrote:
I am plodding through this minefield of finding out the best or cheapest way to provide a reviewer with a copy of my book. I've never done this before. if you can help or advise me PLEASE PLEASE do. I'd be really grateful.

Paperback? Buy a copy, get the royalty and mail it to the reviewer.
cdalebrittain

Posts: 10,964
Registered: 03/05/11
Re: REVIEW COPIES - best/cheapest way to provide them?
Posted: Sep 30, 2017 9:45 AM   in response to: Hilary Coombes in response to: Hilary Coombes
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
If you mean an ebook, Donna's advice still holds. You can buy a copy to "gift" to the reviewer (assuming you are both in the US), and you get your normal royalties.

Or you can email them a mobi of your book if you think they'll know how to side-load to their Kindle. Or, for either ebook or print, you can (for free) email a pdf of your book.

But it's always necessary to contact the reviewer first and ask what they'd prefer and in what format. Good luck!
Emily Veinglory

Posts: 3,297
Registered: 04/25/13
Re: REVIEW COPIES - best/cheapest way to provide them?
Posted: Sep 30, 2017 11:13 AM   in response to: Hilary Coombes in response to: Hilary Coombes
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
It is easiest IMHO to email them a copy. If the want it on kindle and can't/won't side load it you can gift it. But not everyone uses kindle or uses only kindle. I generally prefer review copies in PDF.
Notjohn

Posts: 22,630
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: REVIEW COPIES - best/cheapest way to provide them?
Posted: Sep 30, 2017 1:20 PM   in response to: Hilary Coombes in response to: Hilary Coombes
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
If it's a print edition, and you use CreateSpace, buying 10 copies at a time and resending a copy by Media Mail comes out to about $6 a copy in the US.

I will accept a PDF of a book I really want to read, but I much prefer a print edition. I always say that I'll take the print edition, Kindle edition, or PDF, but only one publisher ever opted for the PDF. I read it on my Fire tablet held horizontally, and that worked out all right, but it's still not as good as print.

Cheapest way is rarely the best way IMHO.

(Don't trust KDP to publish a print edition. Don't trust CreateSpace to publish an ebook.)

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting

The blog:
http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com
booknookbiz

Posts: 3,950
Registered: 03/04/10
Re: REVIEW COPIES - best/cheapest way to provide them?
Posted: Sep 30, 2017 6:25 PM   in response to: cdalebrittain in response to: cdalebrittain
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
cdalebrittain wrote:
If you mean an ebook, Donna's advice still holds. You can buy a copy to "gift" to the reviewer (assuming you are both in the US), and you get your normal royalties.

Or you can email them a mobi of your book if you think they'll know how to side-load to their Kindle. Or, for either ebook or print, you can (for free) email a pdf of your book.

But it's always necessary to contact the reviewer first and ask what they'd prefer and in what format. Good luck!


Not to mention, when they redeem the gift cert for the book and then review it, it's a verified purchase. And yes, I've done this, so I know it works.

The problem with gifting the print books is this: if you try to do it through Amazon, they're fine with that, but to send the book AS A GIFT, you have to have their phone number. Yup. When you order it, you MUST have the recipient's phone number, to send it. Well, suffice to say, top reviewers, etc., aren't that keen on the idea of desperate er, anxious authors having their phone numbers. So, you end up sending them a gift cert for the print book, thinking, okay, that will handle it--but wait! Each one has different shipping costs AND state taxes. It's a massive headache.

You can do the "gift them something on their wish list," w/o a phone number, but they have to have LINKED it with an address in their address book, and it's not intuitive to do, and I have not met ONE reviewer that could do it. And you're not giving away TV sets, they're not that motivated to spend 30 minutes figuring out how to do it.

Trust me, trying to gift print books is a damn nightmare. Do eBooks; you can gift them with one simple thing, an email address. Take the verified purchase review, and be happy.

Hitch
We produce ebooks
An Amazon Professional Conversion Service: http://amzn.to/29pWZSg
www.booknook.biz/
Notjohn

Posts: 22,630
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: REVIEW COPIES - best/cheapest way to provide them?
Posted: Oct 1, 2017 3:11 AM   in response to: booknookbiz in response to: booknookbiz
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
trying to gift print books is a damn nightmare

I buy my books at printing cost + shipping from CreateSpace, put a note on the title page, stick the thing in a padded bag, buy Media Mail postage from PayPal, and put it in the mailbox on my way to the gym. What could be easier, for me and for the recipient? The final cost per book, including book, postage, bag, and mailing label, is a dollar or three less than the retail price of the book.

Which reminds me -- I have to order more padded bags!

(Don't trust KDP to publish a print edition. Don't trust CreateSpace to publish an ebook.)

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting

The blog:
http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com
booknookbiz

Posts: 3,950
Registered: 03/04/10
Re: REVIEW COPIES - best/cheapest way to provide them?
Posted: Oct 1, 2017 10:07 AM   in response to: Notjohn in response to: Notjohn
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Notjohn wrote:
trying to gift print books is a damn nightmare

I buy my books at printing cost + shipping from CreateSpace, put a note on the title page, stick the thing in a padded bag, buy Media Mail postage from PayPal, and put it in the mailbox on my way to the gym. What could be easier, for me and for the recipient? The final cost per book, including book, postage, bag, and mailing label, is a dollar or three less than the retail price of the book.

Which reminds me -- I have to order more padded bags!

(Don't trust KDP to publish a print edition. Don't trust CreateSpace to publish an ebook.)

Good luck! -- NJ


NJ:

Yes, well, let's face it--you're old skool. ;-) Most of the posters on this thread don't want to ship their review copies themselves, AND, in fairness, I'd like to point out that doing it your way won't get a "verified purchase" tag, either, right?

You're an established, also-trade-pubbed writer. Most of the poster aren't, and those verified reviews are gold to them. :-)

Hitch
We produce eBooks
An Amazon Professional Conversion Service : http://amzn.to/29pWZSg
www.Booknook.Biz
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums