Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » General Questions

Thread: Selling outside of Amazon


This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Nov 1, 2017 2:35 PM Last Post By: Jonathan B
tom surbaugh

Posts: 4
Registered: 11/07/16
Selling outside of Amazon
Posted: Oct 31, 2017 12:31 PM
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
My book is on Amazon and has done surprisingly well. (ebook and paperback) Has anyone published outside of Amazon after they have been on Amazon for a while? I would like to stay on Amazon but my book is niche' true story that is specific to a certain region.I think my sales on Amazon are going to slow and I have been approached through social media from a few book stores about whole selling the book. After the upfront money to format, it is not too bad to have large numbers printed. I wonder if I need to take my book off Amazon completely if I am going to have a new ISBN on the book printed on my own.? Haven't found anything guidelines on kdp outlining what is cool to do. Any help appreciated. ts
Donna St Felix

Posts: 5,444
Registered: 09/18/13
Re: Selling outside of Amazon
Posted: Oct 31, 2017 12:34 PM   in response to: tom surbaugh in response to: tom surbaugh
Helpful
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
tom surbaugh wrote:
My book is on Amazon and has done surprisingly well. (ebook and paperback) Has anyone published outside of Amazon after they have been on Amazon for a while? I would like to stay on Amazon but my book is niche' true story that is specific to a certain region.I think my sales on Amazon are going to slow and I have been approached through social media from a few book stores about whole selling the book. After the upfront money to format, it is not too bad to have large numbers printed. I wonder if I need to take my book off Amazon completely if I am going to have a new ISBN on the book printed on my own.? Haven't found anything guidelines on kdp outlining what is cool to do. Any help appreciated. ts

If your digital book is in the Select program you cannot sell that elsewhere until your 90 days are up.
Otherwise, for both paperback and digital you can sell it elsewhere AND on Amazon at the same time.
Jonathan B

Posts: 4,492
Registered: 10/23/12
Re: Selling outside of Amazon
Posted: Oct 31, 2017 12:39 PM   in response to: tom surbaugh in response to: tom surbaugh
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Nice cover, and I don't think it is a niche book. From the blurb, I think that more people out of th emining community would like it. As such, I think you are limiting yourself by the categories. I think some others would give you some broader visibility.

As far as publishing, you do not have to have the book out of Amazon to whoesale it. First, you can simply purchase them for yourself via CreateSpace (if you used them and not KDP's paperback option) and then sell them to the store or put them on consignment. Second, you can go through Ingram Spark. That will require a new ISBN, if I'm not mistaken. Going through IS will cost $49 if you can't find a coupon, but any book retailer will be familiar with how to order from them.

You can also do a print run for yourself if you are confident on selling out. I don't know the number of books you would need to make that worthwhile, but it is an option worth looking into.
Diana Persaud

Posts: 2,553
Registered: 10/07/13
Re: Selling outside of Amazon
Posted: Oct 31, 2017 12:39 PM   in response to: tom surbaugh in response to: tom surbaugh
Helpful
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
tom surbaugh wrote:
My book is on Amazon and has done surprisingly well. (ebook and paperback) Has anyone published outside of Amazon after they have been on Amazon for a while? I would like to stay on Amazon but my book is niche' true story that is specific to a certain region.I think my sales on Amazon are going to slow and I have been approached through social media from a few book stores about whole selling the book. After the upfront money to format, it is not too bad to have large numbers printed. I wonder if I need to take my book off Amazon completely if I am going to have a new ISBN on the book printed on my own.? Haven't found anything guidelines on kdp outlining what is cool to do. Any help appreciated. ts

Congratulations. Very few people can report the same.

You don't need to remove it from Amazon or go with another printer. Create Space or other POD printers are probably your best option because you don't have to pay upfront. Personally, I wouldn't shell out money to print books when there is no guarantee they will sell.

If bookstores are asking for your book, why not direct them to CS? Or check out other POD options (Ingram spark).

You also don't need to pay for a formatter IF you learn how to do it correctly. It's really not that hard.

My only concern is that you might shell out more than you will make in profit and that's no way to run a business.

If you go through another POD, you will have to buy an ISBN. But you don't need to take off the existing copy you have on Amazon. Hope that helps.
tom surbaugh

Posts: 4
Registered: 11/07/16
Re: Selling outside of Amazon
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 6:24 AM   in response to: Jonathan B in response to: Jonathan B
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thank you so much for the response! Yes I have been on Amazon since last November, so well past 90 days. Thanks again and I really appreciate you taking the time! Tom
tom surbaugh

Posts: 4
Registered: 11/07/16
Re: Selling outside of Amazon
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 6:41 AM   in response to: Diana Persaud in response to: Diana Persaud
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thanks the cover was well done by an artist outside the US. I am going to look at other category options. Any ideas?? I published ebook and paperback through Amazon kdp. I struggle with formatting etc. I had an author copy made through CreateSpace. Problem is it doesn't have a back cover and it was all white. (which looked terrible.) Do you know if you can migrate from kdp directly to CreateSpace and keep the cover and back cover the same? And stay on Amazon? Want to keep the reviews coming...

I am looking at Ingram Spark now. Did not know about it. Looks promising. I do have an option of getting formatted and printing.(actually here at where I work. We have a division that publishes books/programs.) 1000 copies would be about 2.25/per. Not terrible and if I deduct formatting it is $1.62/per. Which leaves room for profit. But that leaves me in the red upfront and would have to move many books. Not easy. Have you had stores use Ingram Spark to order from you?

Thanks so much for replying and I really appreciate you taking the time. Sincerely,
Tom Surbaugh
cdalebrittain

Posts: 11,125
Registered: 03/05/11
Re: Selling outside of Amazon
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 6:56 AM   in response to: tom surbaugh in response to: tom surbaugh
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I would recommend unpublishing the paperback from KDP-print and going to CreateSpace. You can't do a "direct migration," but you would upload the same cover and the same pdf of the contents, so it's relatively easy. CS has an excellent "cover wizard" that makes sure you don't have a weird blank back cover. They also have live phone help if you get stuck.

It's probably not worth going with Ingram Spark. Yes, bookstores can order from them, but stores can also order through CS. And realistically stores are not likely to order from either unless a customer specifically requests a copy.

Do NOT pay for 1000 copies of your book. A thousand books take up a whole lot of room. You're very unlikely to move that many. You'd have to set up a seller's account on Amazon to sell them through the Zon, and that costs money, and is a very slow process. Realistically, indies sell far, far more ebooks than print books. I had a book printed 17 years ago, back in the pre-POD era, through a small press that had its own distribution system, and I already had a pre-existing fan base. And yet it took me 17 years to move 2000 books. The press has now gone into retirement, so I've got the rest of them in my garage and an Amazon Advantage account that is most definitely NOT moving books quickly.

Go with CS. Save yourself innumerable headaches.
tom surbaugh

Posts: 4
Registered: 11/07/16
Re: Selling outside of Amazon
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 7:16 AM   in response to: cdalebrittain in response to: cdalebrittain
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
If I can create a back cover in CS then I should be good to go. Thank you so much for your help. I'm not crazy about getting 1k books printed and having the pressure of moving them! Thanks again! ts
Jose Madruaga

Posts: 6
Registered: 08/11/15
Re: Selling outside of Amazon
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 1:33 PM   in response to: tom surbaugh in response to: tom surbaugh
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
For a $5.99 ebook I receive a $4.00 royalty on another platform. On Amazon for a 5.99 ebook I receive a $2.10 royalty. Amazon DOES NOT do any authors a favor, EVER! You do the work, and Amazon rips you off! I’m at a lost as to why writers go out of their way schmoozing Amazon when we as authors are getting shafted by Amazon. DON’T get me started on how out of touch Jeff Bezos is, with his company and life...
writerbn

Posts: 5,241
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Selling outside of Amazon
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 1:48 PM   in response to: Jose Madruaga in response to: Jose Madruaga
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Jose Madruaga wrote:
For a $5.99 ebook I receive a $4.00 royalty on another platform. On Amazon for a 5.99 ebook I receive a $2.10 royalty. Amazon DOES NOT do any authors a favor, EVER! You do the work, and Amazon rips you off! I’m at a lost as to why writers go out of their way schmoozing Amazon when we as authors are getting shafted by Amazon. DON’T get me started on how out of touch Jeff Bezos is, with his company and life...
There's a simple solution: don't publish on Amazon.
Jonathan B

Posts: 4,492
Registered: 10/23/12
Re: Selling outside of Amazon
Posted: Nov 1, 2017 2:35 PM   in response to: tom surbaugh in response to: tom surbaugh
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
tom surbaugh wrote:
Thanks the cover was well done by an artist outside the US. I am going to look at other category options. Any ideas?? I published ebook and paperback through Amazon kdp. I struggle with formatting etc. I had an author copy made through CreateSpace. Problem is it doesn't have a back cover and it was all white. (which looked terrible.) Do you know if you can migrate from kdp directly to CreateSpace and keep the cover and back cover the same? And stay on Amazon? Want to keep the reviews coming...

I am looking at Ingram Spark now. Did not know about it. Looks promising. I do have an option of getting formatted and printing.(actually here at where I work. We have a division that publishes books/programs.) 1000 copies would be about 2.25/per. Not terrible and if I deduct formatting it is $1.62/per. Which leaves room for profit. But that leaves me in the red upfront and would have to move many books. Not easy. Have you had stores use Ingram Spark to order from you?

Thanks so much for replying and I really appreciate you taking the time. Sincerely,
Tom Surbaugh


I have one book on Ingram-Sparks. I wanted to compare it to the books I get from CS. I also kept that book on CS to I could compare apples with apples, and I think the IS books looks better, but that alone wouldn't make me pick IS given the $49 fee (although if you sell a certain number of books within the first 90 days, they refudnd that). I have sold through bookstores through IS, enough to pay back the $49 over the last nine or ten months. but not much more. I did have one expereince that was revealing, though. I friend of mine introduced me to a retailer at DragonCon. He told her she needed my books, and she agreed to buy five to give them a shot--until she found out I was only with CS at the time. She then declined, telling me I had to have them available through IS for her to order them.
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums