Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Publisher Support » Account Issues

Thread: Any Kindle Unlimited users out there?


This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Nov 13, 2017 3:00 AM Last Post By: thrasherll
Mrs Julia Evans

Posts: 892
Registered: 05/22/16
Any Kindle Unlimited users out there?
Posted: Nov 12, 2017 1:40 PM
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Evening all,

While checking my reports this fine Sunday evening, I just noticed something bizarre on the KENP report. Pages were showing as being read on one of my books!

Ok, that isn't strange in and of itself, as generally pages are read daily on almost all of my books. But the 'almost' is the key word.

Two of my books were in Select for 90 days between May and August 2016, but have been out ever since.

Yet today, some 15 months after they were withdrawn, someone has read one of the books, and the KENP pages have been reported.

I double-checked my Bookshelf to make sure I hadn't clicked and signed the wrong book up for Select when I did a recent release, and nothing has changed. It's still not registered for Select.

Has anyone else come across this phenomena before, where a book is read so long after coming out of Select?

Don't get me wrong, I'll happily take the money, as it's more than I'd get for a sale, but it certainly seems a long time for it to be hanging around on someone's kindle, especially as I thought people were limited to 10 books at a time.

Are there any Kay-yu users out there who can shine a light, or any authors who have experienced the same delays?

I know we sometimes complain that there's a lag on the Zon's reporting times, but 15 months is ridiculous! ;)

Thanks,

J
writerbn

Posts: 5,645
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Any Kindle Unlimited users out there?
Posted: Nov 12, 2017 1:48 PM   in response to: Mrs Julia Evans in response to: Mrs Julia Evans
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Mrs Julia Evans wrote:
Yet today, some 15 months after they were withdrawn, someone has read one of the books, and the KENP pages have been reported.
My record is a little over a year after the book was out of Select, so you have me beat by a few months!

As to why it happens, nobody knows. I have a Kay Yu sub*scription; I decided to get one when I was researching a new genre. Once you have 10 books checked out, you have to return one before you can borrow another. I typically return the last one I read, and I never borrow more than 2-3 at a time, so the oldest one on there might be sitting on my bookshelf for quite some time.
thrasherll

Posts: 5,078
Registered: 06/27/12
Re: Any Kindle Unlimited users out there?
Posted: Nov 12, 2017 1:53 PM   in response to: Mrs Julia Evans in response to: Mrs Julia Evans
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Mrs Julia Evans wrote:
Evening all,

While checking my reports this fine Sunday evening, I just noticed something bizarre on the KENP report. Pages were showing as being read on one of my books!

Ok, that isn't strange in and of itself, as generally pages are read daily on almost all of my books. But the 'almost' is the key word.

Two of my books were in Select for 90 days between May and August 2016, but have been out ever since.

Yet today, some 15 months after they were withdrawn, someone has read one of the books, and the KENP pages have been reported.

I double-checked my Bookshelf to make sure I hadn't clicked and signed the wrong book up for Select when I did a recent release, and nothing has changed. It's still not registered for Select.

Has anyone else come across this phenomena before, where a book is read so long after coming out of Select?

Don't get me wrong, I'll happily take the money, as it's more than I'd get for a sale, but it certainly seems a long time for it to be hanging around on someone's kindle, especially as I thought people were limited to 10 books at a time.

Are there any Kay-yu users out there who can shine a light, or any authors who have experienced the same delays?

I know we sometimes complain that there's a lag on the Zon's reporting times, but 15 months is ridiculous! ;)

Thanks,

J

Once a person downloads a KU book, it's a KU book until they delete it. If they keep it years before reading it, you'll see the pages.

I have a couple of KU books that I've had for probably close to six months and have read very few pages. I downloaded them to use for research on a project but the project had to be postponed. Eventually, I'll get back to the project and read those books. In the meantime I read and return the other 8 KU books I'm allowed to have at one time so I don't need the space those two books take up.

Not pertinent to the discussion, but I also have Kindle books I purchased and haven't opened since. Most of them are old favorites that I keep handy to have something to read on airplanes, in hospital waiting rooms, and other boring places. I also own print books that I occasionally open to read a few poems, reread a short story I like, look at some art work, check a grammar rule, etc.

L. L. Thrasher
Mrs Julia Evans

Posts: 892
Registered: 05/22/16
Re: Any Kindle Unlimited users out there?
Posted: Nov 12, 2017 1:59 PM   in response to: writerbn in response to: writerbn
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
writerbn wrote:
Mrs Julia Evans wrote:
Yet today, some 15 months after they were withdrawn, someone has read one of the books, and the KENP pages have been reported.
My record is a little over a year after the book was out of Select, so you have me beat by a few months!

I expected it for a few weeks, but when the pages dried up after about a month, I thought that was it. I certainly didn't expect it after all this time!

J :)
Mrs Julia Evans

Posts: 892
Registered: 05/22/16
Re: Any Kindle Unlimited users out there?
Posted: Nov 12, 2017 2:40 PM   in response to: thrasherll in response to: thrasherll
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I have a few dozen that have been gathering dust for I don't know how long, but then I actually paid for them, so they can jolly well sit there until I get around to them! ;)

I didn't imagine Kay-yu users would apply the same logic though. I would simply read all ten and then swap for another ten.

Each to his/her own, I guess.

J
thrasherll

Posts: 5,078
Registered: 06/27/12
Re: Any Kindle Unlimited users out there?
Posted: Nov 12, 2017 4:24 PM   in response to: Mrs Julia Evans in response to: Mrs Julia Evans
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Mrs Julia Evans wrote:
I have a few dozen that have been gathering dust for I don't know how long, but then I actually paid for them, so they can jolly well sit there until I get around to them! ;)

I didn't imagine Kay-yu users would apply the same logic though. I would simply read all ten and then swap for another ten.

Each to his/her own, I guess.


I know people who download KU editions of books (if available) as soon as the book list for a monthly book club comes out, and it's not uncommon to know in June what book will be discussed at the December meeting. I'm sure most of people wait until a week before a meeting to read that month's book so it will be fresh in their minds. The authors get their "pages read" when their contract states they'll get them: when the customer reads the pages. And KU readers "actually pay for" those books, in accordance with Amazon policies.

L. L. Thrasher
Mrs Julia Evans

Posts: 892
Registered: 05/22/16
Re: Any Kindle Unlimited users out there?
Posted: Nov 12, 2017 6:13 PM   in response to: thrasherll in response to: thrasherll
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi Thrasher,

I guess I'm surprised that anyone would download a book so far ahead when they have a limit on how many they can have. Especially when you can download any time. It's not like the old days when you had to go to the library and hope they had a copy of the book you wanted.

My 'paid for' comment was in reference to specific books I've bought. I appreciate that Kay-yu members pay per month for their membership, regardless of whether they download anything or not. That was the distinction in my mind.

Best wishes. J
thrasherll

Posts: 5,078
Registered: 06/27/12
Re: Any Kindle Unlimited users out there?
Posted: Nov 12, 2017 7:53 PM   in response to: Mrs Julia Evans in response to: Mrs Julia Evans
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Mrs Julia Evans wrote:
Hi Thrasher,

I guess I'm surprised that anyone would download a book so far ahead when they have a limit on how many they can have. Especially when you can download any time. It's not like the old days when you had to go to the library and hope they had a copy of the book you wanted.

My 'paid for' comment was in reference to specific books I've bought. I appreciate that Kay-yu members pay per month for their membership, regardless of whether they download anything or not. That was the distinction in my mind.

Best wishes. J


People in book clubs usually read a lot and some of the ones I know also own a lot of books. Using KU for the ones chosen by someone else makes sense to me. I don't belong to a book club myself, but after working in a library for 20+ years, I'm acquainted with a lot of long-time book club members. Some of them prefer print books, of course.

I have also read KU books that impressed me so much that I watch for the author's next one so I can buy a copy and keep it forever. I firmly believe that KU is valuable to Kindle authors because people who give their books a try can read past the Look Inside, which probably makes a big difference with some books.

L. L. Thrasher
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums