Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » My Account

Thread: How do I change my username?


This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 18 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: Feb 10, 2018 9:59 AM Last Post By: cdalebrittain Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Carolyn Hamilto...

Posts: 4
Registered: 01/19/15
How do I change my username?
Posted: Jan 18, 2015 7:37 PM
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I don't know what I was thinking when I set up my account. I need to change my username to match the name on my books and Amazon Author Central account. But "edit" won't let me do that.

Should I dump this account and start a new one? or is there a way to change the name?

All advice much appreciated.
Carolyn V. Hamilton (the "real" me)
cdalebrittain

Posts: 11,829
Registered: 03/05/11
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Jan 18, 2015 7:55 PM   in response to: Carolyn Hamilto... in response to: Carolyn Hamilto...
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, Carolyn, and welcome to KDP.

Your forum handle is one of the few things you cannot change. Why? Many have wondered.

The only way around it is to set up a new account with probably a new email address. Wait! you say. Aren't multiple accounts forbidden? Yes indeed they are.

However. You are allowed to have a different buy-stuff-from-Amazon account and publish-on-Amazon account. You are also allowed to have a different post-on-forum account and publish-on-Amazon account. They key point is to make sure that you have no more than one publishing account.

It is tricky as you have to remember to switch accounts. Come on the forum with your publishing account, and you're Carolyn. Try to check your Bookshelf with your non-Carolyn account, and you'll see no books, leading to panic--but of course there will be no books, as that account never published any.

Anyway, good luck! If you want to stay Carolyn, that's fine too.
--Dale
Rose King

Posts: 1,421
Registered: 11/30/14
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Jan 22, 2015 3:28 AM   in response to: Carolyn Hamilto... in response to: Carolyn Hamilto...
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Carolyn Hamilton Proctor wrote:
I don't know what I was thinking when I set up my account. I need to change my username to match the name on my books and Amazon Author Central account. But "edit" won't let me do that.

Should I dump this account and start a new one? or is there a way to change the name?

All advice much appreciated.
Carolyn V. Hamilton (the "real" me)

As Dale has explained, there is no way to change your username on here but you can have a second account for posting. I would like to just add a warning though; it is not a good idea to have your author name as your username on this forum. It may sound unlikely, but many people have experienced negative reviews on their books by people they have either upset on this forum or people who are jealous of either your success or your writing ability. I know it is childish, but it happens, a lot. There are currently one or two people who have discovered how to delete posts on here and are having a great time doing just that to people who disagree with them. Those same irresponsible idiots will also leave negative reviews on their books; I know that from experience. It is your decision, but at least you have the facts.
Jonathan Racioppi

Posts: 87
Registered: 03/02/15
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Mar 3, 2015 4:13 PM   in response to: Rose King in response to: Rose King
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Rose King wrote:
Carolyn Hamilton Proctor wrote:
I don't know what I was thinking when I set up my account. I need to change my username to match the name on my books and Amazon Author Central account. But "edit" won't let me do that.

Should I dump this account and start a new one? or is there a way to change the name?

All advice much appreciated.
Carolyn V. Hamilton (the "real" me)

As Dale has explained, there is no way to change your username on here but you can have a second account for posting. I would like to just add a warning though; it is not a good idea to have your author name as your username on this forum. It may sound unlikely, but many people have experienced negative reviews on their books by people they have either upset on this forum or people who are jealous of either your success or your writing ability. I know it is childish, but it happens, a lot. There are currently one or two people who have discovered how to delete posts on here and are having a great time doing just that to people who disagree with them. Those same irresponsible idiots will also leave negative reviews on their books; I know that from experience. It is your decision, but at least you have the facts.

I did a search and found this thread in fear of the same thing. My amazon account is way old and has my name, however I just published my first book and would have used my pen name if I had the chance. Your post really puts me at ease, though. I certainly don't want to deal with anything childish such as that. Especially when I know my book (and my future planned one) could be considered controversial. Anyway, just saying thanks. :-)
Elizabeth Shaw

Posts: 2
Registered: 11/22/14
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Dec 5, 2017 7:13 PM   in response to: Carolyn Hamilto... in response to: Carolyn Hamilto...
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Is the username the name used on the left hand corner?
Donna St Felix

Posts: 6,355
Registered: 09/18/13
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Dec 5, 2017 7:22 PM   in response to: Elizabeth Shaw in response to: Elizabeth Shaw
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Elizabeth Shaw wrote:
Is the username the name used on the left hand corner?

The left-hand corner of what?
If you mean on these forums, the username is the name that shows on the left side next to the post.
Elizabeth Shaw

Posts: 2
Registered: 11/22/14
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Dec 6, 2017 3:59 PM   in response to: Donna St Felix in response to: Donna St Felix
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thanks, yeah that's what I meant.

Just trying to work it out for setting up payment details and I seem to have so many name options I couldn't work out which one was the actual username! lol

Thanks
Donna St Felix

Posts: 6,355
Registered: 09/18/13
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Dec 6, 2017 5:49 PM   in response to: Elizabeth Shaw in response to: Elizabeth Shaw
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Elizabeth Shaw wrote:
Just trying to work it out for setting up payment details and I seem to have so many name options I couldn't work out which one was the actual username! lol

Payment should go to your legal name, the one on your bank account and IRS records.
Notjohn

Posts: 24,144
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Dec 7, 2017 2:41 AM   in response to: Elizabeth Shaw in response to: Elizabeth Shaw
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Elizabeth, you don't want any payments to go to your forum log-in account!

This isn't a true Amazon account -- you'll notice the website is kdp.amazon.com. The same is true with Author Central: if you use a pen name, you can set up an Author Central account under that name, as I have done for my Guide and for two other books published under a pen name, plus a third one under my own name.

However, there's nothing wrong with using your real name here. (Or indeed writing under a pen name and using that pen name here!)

(Don't trust KDP to publish a print edition. Don't trust CreateSpace to publish an ebook. Each does one thing well and the other thing poorly.)

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting

The blog:
http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com
Salamander Mall...

Posts: 1,014
Registered: 10/16/17
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Dec 7, 2017 7:55 AM   in response to: Elizabeth Shaw in response to: Elizabeth Shaw
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Elizabeth Shaw wrote:
Thanks, yeah that's what I meant.

Just trying to work it out for setting up payment details and I seem to have so many name options I couldn't work out which one was the actual username! lol

Thanks


You use the name on your birth certificate. If you can't remember what that is or can't find the document, you can always request a copy from the County Registrar.
ABDUL SALEEM PN

Posts: 2
Registered: 08/10/17
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Dec 25, 2017 9:04 AM   in response to: Carolyn Hamilto... in response to: Carolyn Hamilto...
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
By reading the above discussion, I could find it is impossible to change the username once created. I was also planning to change my username, Thanks, guys.
Donna St Felix

Posts: 6,355
Registered: 09/18/13
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Dec 25, 2017 12:27 PM   in response to: ABDUL SALEEM PN in response to: ABDUL SALEEM PN
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
ABDUL SALEEM PN wrote:
By reading the above discussion, I could find it is impossible to change the username once created. I was also planning to change my username, Thanks, guys.

Your main account should be the name on your bank account, that being the name you file your taxes under.
You can publish a book under any name you want and those sales will show on the above account.
Where do you want to change your username at? This forum?
lekhanhdai

Posts: 1
Registered: 12/21/17
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Dec 26, 2017 11:55 PM   in response to: ABDUL SALEEM PN in response to: ABDUL SALEEM PN
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Can not change your name after you agree
Bunny Anderson

Posts: 9
Registered: 08/10/15
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Feb 7, 2018 6:09 AM   in response to: lekhanhdai in response to: lekhanhdai
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
If you were willing to scrap all the things that you had published and start again with a new account, then is that allowed? Would you then be able to republish some of the previously submitted books? I've been using my account to experiment and while I've sold a few books there's nothing I'd mind getting rid of, but I have nearly ready some things that I will want to keep long term. My first postings were erotica, since that seemed like the easiest thing to churn out a few of and see how the system worked, I don't feel like the main pen name and account is really representative of where I'd like to go in the future, more seriously (non-fiction and sci-fi). I'm also lairy of people connecting the pen names, as I haven't written anything yet that I would promote to family and friends, but when I get to that point I don't really want it all to start recommending some years old crappy erotica stories! Has anyone been in a similar situation?
cdalebrittain

Posts: 11,829
Registered: 03/05/11
Re: How do I change my username?
Posted: Feb 7, 2018 7:14 AM   in response to: Bunny Anderson in response to: Bunny Anderson
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Bunny--

This thread is about changing your username for the forum (where you can stay Bunny just fine), but I think your particular question is about changing your pen name.

Changing your pen name is super easy. Don't try to delete your account! Amazon will be very peeved with you and could ban you.

You've already got a perfectly good account set up. Just publish your new, more serious works, through the same account, but under a new pen name. When you're setting up the metadata, just put Nom de Plume (that is, whatever new pen name you choose) in for Author name. Make sure the cover, the title page, and the copyright slug all match. That's it! No one looking at this new book by this new author, Nom de Plume, will know that she also once published as Bunny Anderson.

The only people who will know are Amazon, who are putting N de P's royalties into the same account as ol' Bunny's go into. Amazon isn't telling (short of a court order, which seems unlikely).

If you want to delete your erotica from your account, do so. If you want to leave it up, that's fine too. But there's no way anyone will draw an equation between the two pen names unless you tell them yourself. Good luck!
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums