I've been with KDP for 18 months now and recently things have gone a bit strange. Nothing seems to update. I uploaded a new file for a book but it didn't update. When I emailed support, they said it could take a couple of days. It's been a week now, and it still hasn't updated. Yesterday, I got anew US based bank account (I live in Australia) and tried to update my details but they wouldn't save. I emailed support and they said it's because I'm Australian, but the community service person at Payoneer where I set up the account says several Aussies use the service with no problems at all.
The question is, has anyone ever suffered an account siezing up?
I think that I may be contacting support about the wrong things. Maybe it's an account wide problem?
I agree with your concern. I just went onto this forum this morning to mention the fact that when I change the description in "enter your book details" nothing ever happens. The paperback version has no problem in updating details and even though I have both kindle and e versions linked, the e book refuses to update. I am only trying to add a couple of sentences and have done this several times and it never seems to work.
I changed the price and that seems to work ok. I used the "contact us" support and never even got an answer.
Typically I will make a change, submit it, and get an answer back by email stating "Congratulations, you've successfully published on the Kindle Store!". But there are no changes. This is very frustrating.