I've been perfectly happy with the bullet points that have resulted from my tests once I started using alt+0149 to create them. They look great on the Kindle and I'm happy with the spacing, indents, yada yada yada.
But I've been running experiments on new Word documents (saved as html and converted to Kindle), copying text from my novel that includes the bullet points and checking out the results. It looks great.
So I incorporate the bullet points into the full text of the book and take a look at it on my Kindle. All of a sudden, the lines with the bullet points on them have shrunk. They are tinier than the rest of the text. They respond to changing the font size on the Kindle but always smaller than the rest of the normal text, when of course they are the same in the Word document.
So when I isolate the sections with bullet points (including the surrounding, regular text), it looks great.
When I do it with the full novel, everything looks great - except that the bullet point lines are shrunk.
I haven't been able to find this problem anywhere else. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!
Your problem is Word. Since you have saved as html, you are halfway to a solution.
Open the html file in a web browser and in a text editor (Notepad++ is free and excellent). The tag for a bullet is & bull; (but close up the space after the ampersand). If you can't find that with a search, then Word has done something ugly, so find what it did do and replace it. At the same time, look for a tag that's changing the font size and remove it.
I know so little about html that I don't know if this is significant enough, but I used Notepad++ to compare the code from my experiment document that worked to the code from the same portion in the novel and they were different. I tried copying the paragraph of code that worked onto the paragraph that didn't...but it made no difference in the end result.
I don't understand, if Word is simply the blanket problem, why my experiment documents consistently work but the entire manuscript doesn't...?
In any case, this is basically what the code looks like (with some added spaces so I can put it here...). Can you please tell me where to put the bullet tag?
Here's a link to an image of the code. Don't know how else to show you:
Thank you for your help but the problem is fixed! I removed all formatting from the lines in question and then reapplied what I needed and it cleared it up perfectly. The simple bullet symbols - alt+0149 - appear to work just fine on every device I've tested it on.
Glad you got it sorted, but where did you remove the formatting, in the text editor or in Word?
A simply search & replace can fix most of the damage, but here the problem can be that Word creates html so incredibly complicated that a paragraph tag can take a line and a half when it should be a simple <p>. Taking a deep breath, having the html open in Notepad++ and also in the web browser, working on a copy in case you blow it up, and taking it slowly can mend most such problems. In the browser you see where the formatting goes wrong, then you navigate to that spot in Notepad++ and see where the anomaly lies.
Personally, I find Word such a bad creator of html (never mind that the bloat will increase the size of the book by fifteen percent or more, hence the download fee) that I simply run the Word doc through word2cleanhtml.com online. That then requires some tweaking in the form of a template and a style sheet, samples of which are on my blog.