Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » General Questions

Thread: Which has the better chance of success?


Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: Nov 9, 2017 4:45 PM Last Post By: Patrick A. Smith Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Traveler321

Posts: 207
Registered: 10/01/16
Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 7, 2017 4:44 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
So if someone wanted to do well, which has the better chance of success in the current market.

Becoming a painter or an author?
resteasy

Posts: 785
Registered: 07/02/12
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 7, 2017 4:53 PM   in response to: Traveler321 in response to: Traveler321
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
That's tricky choice between two types of poverty.
Diana Persaud

Posts: 2,560
Registered: 10/07/13
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 7, 2017 6:16 PM   in response to: Traveler321 in response to: Traveler321
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
It depends on the person's talent and business acumen.
writerbn

Posts: 5,249
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 8, 2017 5:01 AM   in response to: Traveler321 in response to: Traveler321
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Traveler321 wrote:
So if someone wanted to do well, which has the better chance of success in the current market.

Becoming a painter or an author?


Frankly, standing on a street corner with a tin cup in your hand would pay off better than either one.
chris

Posts: 58
Registered: 09/26/14
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 8, 2017 5:19 AM   in response to: Traveler321 in response to: Traveler321
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Author. At least you can make a couple bucks. From what little I know about painters, they don't have a venue like online publishing to help them get anything for their art.
STEPHEN W BENNETT

Posts: 310
Registered: 10/12/12
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 8, 2017 5:40 AM   in response to: Traveler321 in response to: Traveler321
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
If the painter does houses, that's the winner. (On average.)
Patrick A. Smith

Posts: 1,753
Registered: 04/27/13
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 9, 2017 5:15 AM   in response to: Traveler321 in response to: Traveler321
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Traveler321 wrote:
So if someone wanted to do well, which has the better chance of success in the current market.

Becoming a painter or an author?


It all depends on what you want to accomplish. If you have determination and work hard, you can eventually earn money by writing.
Jonathan B

Posts: 4,495
Registered: 10/23/12
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 9, 2017 6:21 AM   in response to: chris in response to: chris
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
chris wrote:
Author. At least you can make a couple bucks. From what little I know about painters, they don't have a venue like online publishing to help them get anything for their art.

There are quite a few, even if they don't have the reach of an Amazon. Deviant Art is one, for example.
cdalebrittain

Posts: 11,132
Registered: 03/05/11
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 9, 2017 6:48 AM   in response to: Traveler321 in response to: Traveler321
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
A really good graphic artist who can turn out genre covers quickly would probably do well by marketing to KDP authors who want a professional cover.
writerbn

Posts: 5,249
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 9, 2017 7:05 AM   in response to: cdalebrittain in response to: cdalebrittain
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
cdalebrittain wrote:
A really good graphic artist who can turn out genre covers quickly would probably do well by marketing to KDP authors who want a professional cover.
Except that they're being undercut by the amateur artists on Fiverr who don't mind selling their work for USD 5-10, which may be a lot in their local currency. Graphic design, like web design, is largely a commodity these days.
Patrick A. Smith

Posts: 1,753
Registered: 04/27/13
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 9, 2017 9:09 AM   in response to: writerbn in response to: writerbn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
writerbn wrote:
cdalebrittain wrote:
A really good graphic artist who can turn out genre covers quickly would probably do well by marketing to KDP authors who want a professional cover.
Except that they're being undercut by the amateur artists on Fiverr who don't mind selling their work for USD 5-10, which may be a lot in their local currency. Graphic design, like web design, is largely a commodity these days.

Does does fiverr make good covers? Several years ago i paid $100 for a cover to be made, then changed it myself. I always make my own covers in photo shop but I would think about looking at some $5.00 ones. Do they have some you can look at?
Moshe Ben-Or

Posts: 466
Registered: 12/28/15
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 9, 2017 10:36 AM   in response to: Patrick A. Smith in response to: Patrick A. Smith
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
fiverr is a freelance marketplace. Buyer beware, and Your Results May Vary.
writerbn

Posts: 5,249
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 9, 2017 11:18 AM   in response to: Patrick A. Smith in response to: Patrick A. Smith
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Patrick A. Smith wrote:
Does does fiverr make good covers? Several years ago i paid $100 for a cover to be made, then changed it myself. I always make my own covers in photo shop but I would think about looking at some $5.00 ones. Do they have some you can look at?

Plenty of indie authors (here and elsewhere) use them, because they're simply looking for "good enough" and not "professional", and they have no desire to learn how to make their own covers. The quality can vary widely, depending on the individual artist, but the graphic designers I know hate sites like Fiverr with a passion and would never sell their services on them.
Mary Peebels

Posts: 421
Registered: 01/07/16
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 9, 2017 1:36 PM   in response to: Traveler321 in response to: Traveler321
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
In my experience, exactly what Diana said. I have several businesses, including publishing my books, and having a good product is one part of being successful. But you must advertise as well, and learn what marketing does and doesn't work for your book or art.
Jonathan B

Posts: 4,495
Registered: 10/23/12
Re: Which has the better chance of success?
Posted: Nov 9, 2017 3:12 PM   in response to: Patrick A. Smith in response to: Patrick A. Smith
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Patrick A. Smith wrote:
writerbn wrote:
cdalebrittain wrote:
A really good graphic artist who can turn out genre covers quickly would probably do well by marketing to KDP authors who want a professional cover.
Except that they're being undercut by the amateur artists on Fiverr who don't mind selling their work for USD 5-10, which may be a lot in their local currency. Graphic design, like web design, is largely a commodity these days.

Does does fiverr make good covers? Several years ago i paid $100 for a cover to be made, then changed it myself. I always make my own covers in photo shop but I would think about looking at some $5.00 ones. Do they have some you can look at?

I was roundly criticized for my covers early on, and now I pay pretty good money for both the original art and graphics for my main covers. However, I'm not going to fork out $800 for a 2k short that might earn back $500, so I've dipped my toes into Fiverr on occassion. I've received one pretty good cover for $40, a usuable one for $25, and I've had two or three that I refused delivery they were so bad.

Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums