Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » General Questions

Thread: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set


Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 42 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: Dec 10, 2017 1:04 PM Last Post By: writerbn
DDKimberley

Posts: 912
Registered: 10/16/15
Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 2, 2017 6:02 PM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Anybody ever used Scrivener for a bundled book set?

I've spent the last few days bundling my first series into one file for a bundled ebook, formulating as 'novel with parts'. But I wanted to get a look at how Scrivener separates those parts--i.e. is there a title page for each book (based on the 'folder' title) or do I have to create one for each book...so on the first attempt at compile I asked for a 'novel with parts' as a PDF. It took so long I finally had to force quit. Granted, it's probably gonna come up with over 3K pages, but my longest book was nearly 700 and it only took a few seconds. This little wheel spun for nearly 2 minutes before I gave up
.
If you've done a bundled ebook with Scrivener, and can tell me how the parts are defined for the readers, maybe I can skip the PDF compilation.
George

Posts: 108
Registered: 10/13/14
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 2, 2017 10:24 PM   in response to: DDKimberley in response to: DDKimberley
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi. I haven't created a box set yet but plan to. Why did you compile into PDF rather than epub or mobi? Or maybe a .doc file. My bet would that any of these would be much faster and be ready for upload. Maybe testing in the Kindle Previewer first.

Hopefully you will post your experiences.
George

Posts: 108
Registered: 10/13/14
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 2, 2017 10:51 PM   in response to: DDKimberley in response to: DDKimberley
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
To acknowledge but probably not answer your question, I planned on inserting a title page at the beginning of every book and the ToC would go to that page. You could try it and just compile the first two books.
DDKimberley

Posts: 912
Registered: 10/16/15
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 1:38 AM   in response to: George in response to: George
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
George wrote:
Hi. I haven't created a box set yet but plan to. Why did you compile into PDF rather than epub or mobi? Or maybe a .doc file. My bet would that any of these would be much faster and be ready for upload. Maybe testing in the Kindle Previewer first.

Hopefully you will post your experiences.


I'm on a Mac, which means no way to create a mobi file (Kindle creator for Mac does not work) and no way to use the Kindle Previewer to view Zon's converted file prior to making the book available for download in the Kindle Store. PDF for paperback seemed the most end-user 'finished' way to see what goodies Scrivener would deliver to the project on its own.
DDKimberley

Posts: 912
Registered: 10/16/15
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 1:39 AM   in response to: George in response to: George
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
George wrote:
To acknowledge but probably not answer your question, I planned on inserting a title page at the beginning of every book and the ToC would go to that page. You could try it and just compile the first two books.

So... you do your final formatting with a program other than Scrivener?
Notjohn

Posts: 23,805
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 2:37 AM   in response to: DDKimberley in response to: DDKimberley
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
You're planning to upload a PDF to the KPD? Not a good idea. In fact, a terrible idea, unless you're planning to use KIndle Textbook Creator or some other fixed-format tool, which is merely not a good idea.

(Don't trust KDP to publish a print edition. Don't trust CreateSpace to publish an ebook. Each does one thing well and the other thing poorly.)

Good luck! -- NJ

Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting

The blog:
http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com
DDKimberley

Posts: 912
Registered: 10/16/15
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 3:12 AM   in response to: Notjohn in response to: Notjohn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
No, NJ--the PDF was just a way to get a look at how Scrivener would display the books as separate.
writerbn

Posts: 5,656
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 5:01 AM   in response to: DDKimberley in response to: DDKimberley
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
DDKimberley wrote:
I'm on a Mac, which means no way to create a mobi file (Kindle creator for Mac does not work) and no way to use the Kindle Previewer to view Zon's converted file prior to making the book available for download in the Kindle Store.

You can do both of those things on a Mac. Download the latest version of the Kindle Previewer (3.something). However, there's no need to submit a .mobi. A validated ePub file works perfectly well.

Scrivener won't insert anything that you haven't already put there. If you want a title page for each book, you should set one up in the binder and include it in the compile list.
DDKimberley

Posts: 912
Registered: 10/16/15
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 6:16 AM   in response to: writerbn in response to: writerbn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
writerbn wrote:
DDKimberley wrote:
I'm on a Mac, which means no way to create a mobi file (Kindle creator for Mac does not work) and no way to use the Kindle Previewer to view Zon's converted file prior to making the book available for download in the Kindle Store.

You can do both of those things on a Mac.


Couldn't last time I tried, year or so ago I guess. Frankly not inclined to fight with it anymore - too sick and too tired.
I went ahead and made title pages, tucked them into the front of each book's folder. I just thought maybe the 'novel with parts' format might automatically insert a page to separate the parts.

Thanks, y'all.
robert d dorazi

Posts: 641
Registered: 04/20/14
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 6:40 AM   in response to: DDKimberley in response to: DDKimberley
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi

Have you tried to use the zamzar site to convert your file into a MOBI file?

Robert Dorazi

Diana Persaud

Posts: 2,714
Registered: 10/07/13
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 11:39 AM   in response to: DDKimberley in response to: DDKimberley
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Don’t have a Mac but I’ve done two box sets with scrivener. I’m not home but IIRC, I created three folders, one for each book. Then each book had one chapter per text file.

I compile as mobi and ePub with no problem.

I don’t use Scrivener’s templates. I make my own.
DDKimberley

Posts: 912
Registered: 10/16/15
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 1:19 PM   in response to: DDKimberley in response to: DDKimberley
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
PS - the mobi, if I had the energy to learn something new right now, would be a way to get a look at what the file does without uploading it to ZON. Presumably, according to what's been said here, I could side load it onto my own Kindle to get a look at it.
I'm only setting this bundle up for the person who'll inherit the rights to my books, in case SHE wants to use it. Just looking for the easiest way I can make it easier for her, lol.
writerbn

Posts: 5,656
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 1:29 PM   in response to: DDKimberley in response to: DDKimberley
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
DDKimberley wrote:
PS - the mobi, if I had the energy to learn something new right now, would be a way to get a look at what the file does without uploading it to ZON. Presumably, according to what's been said here, I could side load it onto my own Kindle to get a look at it.
Seriously, just download the current version of Kindle Previewer for Mac. It doesn't use Java, so it runs just fine. It will convert your ePub to a mobi, if you want one; however, there's absolutely no reason to create one if you're publishing to KDP.

I'm only setting this bundle up for the person who'll inherit the rights to my books, in case SHE wants to use it. Just looking for the easiest way I can make it easier for her, lol.
In that case, make sure to save an ePub. It's an international standard format for e-books.
DDKimberley

Posts: 912
Registered: 10/16/15
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 3, 2017 1:39 PM   in response to: writerbn in response to: writerbn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
writerbn wrote:
DDKimberley wrote:
PS - the mobi, if I had the energy to learn something new right now, would be a way to get a look at what the file does without uploading it to ZON. Presumably, according to what's been said here, I could side load it onto my own Kindle to get a look at it.
Seriously, just download the current version of Kindle Previewer for Mac. It doesn't use Java, so it runs just fine. It will convert your ePub to a mobi, if you want one; however, there's absolutely no reason to create one if you're publishing to KDP.

Thank you. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. The reason is so that I can SEE it, to see what I need to do to make it navigable for the readers. I KNOW I don't need to upload a mobi--all ten of my books have been uploaded as ePub files, and that's how I intend to leave this file ready for her. I'd just like to know I've got the bugs out of it first. I've never done a bundle with Scrivener before and I don't want her to run into frustrations with it.
Patrick A. Smith

Posts: 1,880
Registered: 04/27/13
Re: Scrivener for Bundled ebook set
Posted: Dec 4, 2017 12:12 PM   in response to: DDKimberley in response to: DDKimberley
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
DDKimberley wrote:
writerbn wrote:
DDKimberley wrote:
PS - the mobi, if I had the energy to learn something new right now, would be a way to get a look at what the file does without uploading it to ZON. Presumably, according to what's been said here, I could side load it onto my own Kindle to get a look at it.
Seriously, just download the current version of Kindle Previewer for Mac. It doesn't use Java, so it runs just fine. It will convert your ePub to a mobi, if you want one; however, there's absolutely no reason to create one if you're publishing to KDP.

Thank you. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. The reason is so that I can SEE it, to see what I need to do to make it navigable for the readers. I KNOW I don't need to upload a mobi--all ten of my books have been uploaded as ePub files, and that's how I intend to leave this file ready for her. I'd just like to know I've got the bugs out of it first. I've never done a bundle with Scrivener before and I don't want her to run into frustrations with it.


2 questions. I guess I don't understand why you're even creating an e pub? All you need is a word doc.

I've never used scriv. I've only heard that it lets you move chapters around etc. I can do that with word. Does it do anything that word don't?

Edited by: Patrick A. Smith on Dec 4, 2017 12:13 PM
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums