Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » Formatting

Thread: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer


Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 52 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: Dec 5, 2017 8:48 AM Last Post By: Salamander Mall... Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Strangelove

Posts: 236
Registered: 01/28/14
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Apr 12, 2015 1:54 AM   in response to: Chas in response to: Chas
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
dp
Jeremy Vaeni

Posts: 1
Registered: 07/02/13
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Sep 4, 2015 2:49 AM   in response to: booknookbiz in response to: booknookbiz
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
As someone who is having this problem right now, I'm glad to see it is at least limited to the Look Inside feature. But how can you guys say it's the author's/publisher's fault when the KDP previewer we're using to proof the books is telling us it's perfect? I clicked 'publish' based on their reviewing tool, which is supposed to be the final word on formatting. Based on this, I published my book and then dropped a hundred bucks on advertising. Now potential customers are going to look at the hot mess that is my Look Inside preview and I'm likely out a hundred bucks. And that's my fault?

That's my fault because I should have guessed that by previewing the book to approve it as the final step, there was a 50/50 chance it might not work?

Say what you will about this being for publishers, the fact of the marketplace is that there are more self-published, not-necessarily-HTML-savvy authors like me publishing books than ever before. If it's going to be up to me to learn code then it's up to Amazon to tell me that their previewer doesn't always work and I won't know until I've published it. Which is, in a word, stupid.
Notjohn

Posts: 23,788
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Sep 4, 2015 3:06 AM   in response to: Jeremy Vaeni in response to: Jeremy Vaeni
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
There is no preview for Look Inside. It's up to you to make sure your html is correct. Save it as html (web page) and look at it in your web browser. That should show the errors. (Note that the paragraphs will display differently, in all likelihood. Don't worry about that.)

This is why it's best to work in html. If you are using Word, there are some tips on my blog (first post).

Good luck! -- NJ

The book: Notjohn's Guide to Kindle Publishing: Ten Steps to Formatting Your E-book for Amazon (Or Any Other Retailer) now $3.99

The blog: Notjohn's KDP Guide
Doug Srock

Posts: 8
Registered: 11/13/14
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Sep 15, 2015 2:40 PM   in response to: Chas in response to: Chas
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
You are absolutely correct that WORD produces garbage outdated HTML.
So, I stripped all the garbage added correct CSS references for Div floating and Page Breaks
and the Look Inside still rendered GARBAGE.

Don't blame the coder when it is obviously an Amazon issue.

Like everyone else, my book looked exactly as I wanted in Kindle Previewer.
Look Inside should be rendering the same results.

Otherwise get rid of Look Inside. It's hurting sales, not helping them.
William Thompson

Posts: 1,144
Registered: 07/06/14
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Sep 16, 2015 3:37 AM   in response to: Chas in response to: Chas
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi Chas...One thing is certainly true -- the Look in Side conversion uses stricter conversion rules than Kindle ebook conversion.

For more on this and how to perhaps overcome these problems with Look Inside, see this link:

Amazon’s Look Inside
lloyd274

Posts: 2
Registered: 01/23/08
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Jan 31, 2016 1:44 PM   in response to: Notjohn in response to: Notjohn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
You don't upload a comic book in HTML. You upload it as a PDF, and it looks totally terrible in the Look Inside feature. I bet Amazon is losing tons of sales because of this glitch.
William Thompson

Posts: 1,144
Registered: 07/06/14
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Feb 3, 2016 6:59 AM   in response to: Notjohn in response to: Notjohn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Here's the way I see this Look Inside issue:

There are clear and proper guidelines and rules laid down by Kindle describing, in detail, how to properly format your ebook.

There are also clear rules to follow concerning image and ebook cover formats.

But there are no rules at all laid down by Kindle to assure a properly formatted Look Inside capability.

What's more, Look Inside is definitely a different HTML format to the sold ebook.

Is it therefore to much to expect for Kindle to produce accurate and simple guidelines to enable indie authors to produce trouble-free Look Inside versions?

That's why, in my opinion, this complete failure or inability to produce any proper format guidelines for a well-formatted Look Inside version, which seems to have caused so many problems and so much confusion, lies squarely with Kindle.
Notjohn

Posts: 23,788
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Feb 3, 2016 11:24 AM   in response to: William Thompson in response to: William Thompson
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
But there are no rules at all laid down by Kindle to assure a properly formatted Look Inside capability.

Actually, there is a rule. Validated html will display perfectly in Look Inside (though be aware that there are html tags that, while valid, are not supported by KF7 or KF8). Every one of my books displays as I want it in the LI sample.

(Though of course that are no chapter/section breaks.)

This is one of the many reasons why I haven't uploaded a Word doc to the DTP/KDP since 2009. Word creates awful html. You don't see the errors, and Amazon has kindle built a system that will suppress many of them But Look Inside renders them as written. A lot of us had to re-format our books when Look Inside debuted on the Amazon store.

Good luck! -- NJ

The book: Notjohn's Guide to Kindle Publishing 2016 (now in KU)

The blog: Notjohn's KDP Guide
booknookbiz

Posts: 4,205
Registered: 03/04/10
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Feb 3, 2016 3:30 PM   in response to: lloyd274 in response to: lloyd274
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
lloyd274 wrote:
You don't upload a comic book in HTML. You upload it as a PDF, and it looks totally terrible in the Look Inside feature. I bet Amazon is losing tons of sales because of this glitch.

You didn't use the Kindle Comic Creator, to make a formatted eBook? If you're uploading it as a PDF, then, yes--it will look horrible in the LI. All you need to do is to use the free Kindle Comic Creator, that Amazon built for folks like you. It's practically drag-drop. Frankly, if you loaded a PDF to create a MOBI, without using KCC, the book itself probably isn't very good, either. At least with KCC you can have panel magnification, etc., to aid in the reader being able to see magnified panels and text, for readability.

Hitch
We produce ebooks
See our real customer reviews here: http://bit.ly/1Jz4EKz
An INScribe Preferred Conversion Partner
http://www.booknook.biz/
Follow me on Twitter: @BookNookBiz
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
  • Red Adair
William Thompson

Posts: 1,144
Registered: 07/06/14
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Feb 3, 2016 4:33 PM   in response to: Notjohn in response to: Notjohn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi NotJohn....Sorry, you're wrong. Even if you have a perfectly valid and complete ebook file -- you can still get errors in your Look Inside.

As Hitch has already said in a past post, she had to correctly format a customer ebook that had bad Look Inside errors. What's more, when she checked the ebook file, the actual ebook file itself was perfectly formatted according to Hitch. Hitch then when on to say that she eventually discovered that all the errors in the Look Inside were actually caused by incorrectly formatted HTML in the author profile in Author Central. And because the Kindle conversion happens sequentially in one block and the ebook conversion happens last of all, any html errors in the Author Central text(such as open HTML tags) will automatically be carried over into the Look Inside version. This appears to be the main reason for errors appearing in the Look Inside version. Therefore if you clean up the HTML in Author Central and do it properly then your Look Inside errors should disappear.

With apologies to Hitch for any errors in the description(I read your post quite a while ago)
Notjohn

Posts: 23,788
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Feb 4, 2016 1:12 AM   in response to: William Thompson in response to: William Thompson
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
William, I don't think you know what "validated" means.

There are no errors in my files, and there are no errors in my Look Inside samples. (And neither are there, I venture to say, in the books Hitch turns out.)

And neither are there any errors in the html in my Author Central entries.

Good luck! -- NJ

The book: Notjohn's Guide to Kindle Publishing 2016 (now in KU)

The blog: Notjohn's KDP Guide
William Thompson

Posts: 1,144
Registered: 07/06/14
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Feb 4, 2016 1:54 AM   in response to: Notjohn in response to: Notjohn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
You are really coming from a very strange direction NotJohn.

"William, I don't think you know what "validated" means."

Yes, I think I do know what validate means. Do you know what HTML means?

"There are no errors in my files, and there are no errors in my Look Inside samples. (And neither are there, I venture to say, in the books Hitch turns out.)"

Well Bravo NotJohn!! -- and please read my last post again. My post wasn't even about the Look Inside in your book. Funny how you always mention things in your odd replies that have absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed. As a refresher(in case you missed it in my last post) I was relating Hitch's own solution to the Look Inside issue. Would you then disagree with Hitch's own experience and advice?

"And neither are there any errors in the html in my Author Central entries."

When did I ever mention your precious but irrelevant Author Central entry? Redux.

In your own strange and wholly irrelevant answer, you tend to remind me of a rather playful but confused and guilt-ridden mule, who doesn't know whether to turn left or right. Just muse for a while and munch on a carrot or two NotJohn and perhaps, with the patience of Job, your confusion will eventually pass.
booknookbiz

Posts: 4,205
Registered: 03/04/10
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Feb 5, 2016 12:21 AM   in response to: William Thompson in response to: William Thompson
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
William Thompson wrote:
Hi NotJohn....Sorry, you're wrong. Even if you have a perfectly valid and complete ebook file -- you can still get errors in your Look Inside.

As Hitch has already said in a past post, she had to correctly format a customer ebook that had bad Look Inside errors. What's more, when she checked the ebook file, the actual ebook file itself was perfectly formatted according to Hitch. Hitch then when on to say that she eventually discovered that all the errors in the Look Inside were actually caused by incorrectly formatted HTML in the author profile in Author Central. And because the Kindle conversion happens sequentially in one block and the ebook conversion happens last of all, any html errors in the Author Central text(such as open HTML tags) will automatically be carried over into the Look Inside version. This appears to be the main reason for errors appearing in the Look Inside version. Therefore if you clean up the HTML in Author Central and do it properly then your Look Inside errors should disappear.

With apologies to Hitch for any errors in the description(I read your post quite a while ago)


Gentlemen, Gentlemen:

Firstly, yes, William, you are, by and large, recollecting my post correctly. The original post, on my blog, is here: http://www.booknook.biz/news-events/is-your-book-on-amazon-all-in-italics . An editor friend of mine, who creates her books herself, suddenly called me in a swivet--her LITB was all in italics! It took me a bit of poking around, but I stumbled on the pointer, that the text on the LI pop-up, even the "next" and "back" tags--were also all in Italics. This led me to consider HOW the Amazon sales page for a book is rendered...which led me to the solution. She'd left OPEN (unclosed) italic tags on her Author Central book description field. And so...yes, her LITB was corrupted.

However, I don't believe that I said that this is the primary cause of LITB issues. William, I think you've inferred that, yourself, either from what I wrote, or due to your investigations, or both. If I were to be asked, I'd say that the majority of LI display issues are indeed caused by bad HTML--but that would be bad HTML in the book file itself. And, of equal importance, as somebody in this discussion mentioned, (nj, perhaps), not all HTML tags, even those that are perfectly legit, may not be recognized, or may be overridden, for the LITB. Let's not forget:

The LITB has override properties. The CSS that Amazon has for each web page, overrrides, by and large, most of the HTML present in the MOBI file. So, if you have something--let's say, an image, set to appear at 50% of the width of the Kindle screen, in the LI, it may well be quite a bit larger, or smaller, than you intended, because the override, well, overrides it. ;-)

What you said here, William:
William Thompson wrote:
But there are no rules at all laid down by Kindle to assure a properly formatted Look Inside capability.

What's more, Look Inside is definitely a different HTML format to the sold ebook.

is right.

notjohn wrote:
Actually, there is a rule. Validated html will display perfectly in Look Inside (though be aware that there are html tags that, while valid, are not supported by KF7 or KF8). Every one of my books displays as I want it in the LI sample.

NJ: I'm not actually sure that's right. I can think of a lot of things I could slap in a book, with perfectly valid HTML, that wouldn't display correctly in the LI. The icon for a publishing house, for example. And we all already know that fonts, divs, etc., won't necessarily display. What would happen, I wonder, if an HTML table is in the front of the book? Hmmm. I'm not saying you're wrong, nj; but I'd have to test this. And I think you need to be fair about one thing--almost all your books are fiction or formatted like fiction. All your pages, Chapter heads, and paragraphs are pretty straightforward. So, if you think about more complex books, having things go TU (Tango Uniform) in the LITB, even if the book is correctly formatted...that's not impossible. Even with perfectly valid HTML.

When you say this, nj:

notjohn wrote:
There are no errors in my files, and there are no errors in my Look Inside samples. (And neither are there, I venture to say, in the books Hitch turns out.)
And neither are there any errors in the html in my Author Central entries.

You remind me of the Caterpillar and his hookah! You are drawing a conclusion ("there are no errors in my Look Inside") from a set of facts ("There are no errors in my files," and "my HTML is validated"), and thinking that the former conclusion is the direct result of the two (logic set) statements. However, as the sets of ""There are no errors in my files," and "there are no errors in my Look Inside" don't constitute all of the books on Amazon, you can't be certain that you have cause and effect, there. You have what is likely cause and effect for your books, or other books created just like yours, that have the same basic and general set of HTML markup and CSS. Do you see what I mean? If we beg the question, in this debate, we corrupt the outcome and conclusions.

So, can we all agree that while we know that the LITB has its own CSS; we know that that CSS can, to some extent, be overridden by the HTML in the Author Central pages; we all agree that validated HTML and epubchecked files are better than those that are not...but we do NOT have the magic key by which we can a) always say WHY the LITB on a given book has gone wonky; b) we don't know everything about what Amazon does for that section (the LITB); and c) we don't know what codes are set to be overridden, and which aren't. Not for everything.

You guys are arguing unnecessarily. I mean it. Neither one of you has the answer about this specific topic. For that matter, neither do I. And with all due respect, and I mean that, gents, for you both--I've had 3,000 books fly past my eyes over the years, and I've seen enough LITB pages to wallpaper my home with, and I don't know, for sure, what would make an LITB display the interior of a book perfectly, with ALL the formatting put in by the creator/producer. I'm still surprised by stuff that Amazon does, every single day. Okay, well, maybe not daily, but often.

So...kiss and make up. Really. There are a lot of things on this forum that folks can fight about, but this one is not worth the fight, because there isn't an easy (or even hard) way to get The Answer. We're all just guessing. Educated guesses, yes. Informed guesses, based on experience--yes. But we have no way to confirm, from the big Z, what's right and what isn't. Sure, we can put up various books, and try this or that, but that's all we can do. Right? Right.

Hitch
Accredited as a Feefo GOLD Trusted Merchant, 2016!
We produce eBooks
www.Booknook.Biz

booknookbiz

Posts: 4,205
Registered: 03/04/10
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Feb 5, 2016 12:22 AM   in response to: William Thompson in response to: William Thompson
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Buggeration!

Long reply, modded, of course. When it is de-modded, hopefully, it shall be useful.

Hitch
Notjohn

Posts: 23,788
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: LOOK INSIDE preview not the same as on Kindle Previewer
Posted: Feb 5, 2016 6:58 AM   in response to: William Thompson in response to: William Thompson
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I was relating Hitch's own solution to the Look Inside issue. Would you then disagree with Hitch's own experience and advice?

"And neither are there any errors in the html in my Author Central entries."

When did I ever mention your precious but irrelevant Author Central entry?

Hitch was warning us against unclosed html tags in our book des*cript*ion. Get your html validated, and you will have no problems.

Good luck! -- NJ

The book: Notjohn's Guide to Kindle Publishing 2016 (now in KU)

The blog: Notjohn's KDP Guide
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums