Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » Formatting

Thread: Word 2013 Language settings


This question is answered.

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jan 16, 2017 3:50 AM Last Post By: newmansouth
Elodie

Posts: 620
Registered: 03/23/14
Word 2013 Language settings
Posted: Jan 11, 2017 4:11 PM
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I know this has been answered before (I think it was 2 to 3 months ago), but I can't find the thread back.

I'm running Word 2013, on a Windows 10 machine - not sure if that's relevant...
I'm in the UK, and always write UK English, as apposed to American English.
Yet today, Word has started underlining words like endeavour and colour to be changed to endeavor and color.
I've gone to 'Review' - 'Set Proofing Language' and 'Language Preferences' to English (United Kingdom), but for some reason it keeps underlining UK English as wrong and telling me to change it to the US version.

Just as an FYI.
Today Windows ran a compulsory update (hence the mention of my Windows version earlier), could this be the culprit?
I can't figure out what else to change.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
cdalebrittain

Posts: 10,849
Registered: 03/05/11
Re: Word 2013 Language settings
Posted: Jan 11, 2017 5:40 PM   in response to: Elodie in response to: Elodie
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Yes, your Windows update could be the culprit. Computers have a basic "operating system language" that they assume you are using unless told differently.

In Word itself, "Language" is one of the choices on the Tools menu (or at least it is on my version of Word). If you don't find it, go to word help and enter "language" in the search box, and it should tell you where to go to keep those spellings you want. Good luck with your endeavor! (I'm American)
Notjohn

Posts: 22,271
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: Word 2013 Language settings
Posted: Jan 12, 2017 2:45 AM   in response to: Elodie in response to: Elodie
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I had the same problem after I got a degree at King's College London in 2010. I had of course set Word to Britlish spelling (that was a requirement), and for a year or two thereafter kept getting those underlines. As C Dale says, the corrective setting was in Word itself.

Good luck! -- NJ

The book: Notjohn's Guide to E-Book Formatting (revised and updated for 2017)

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com
Alex Ryan

Posts: 865
Registered: 06/07/16
Re: Word 2013 Language settings
Posted: Jan 12, 2017 9:49 AM   in response to: Notjohn in response to: Notjohn
Correct
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Another annoying trait is that if you copy a string of foreign text, which you might want to do to preserve the accents, if you do a simple default paste it will reset the proofing language to the language of your text from that point forward. Paste as text only avoids the issue.
Elodie

Posts: 620
Registered: 03/23/14
Re: Word 2013 Language settings
Posted: Jan 13, 2017 11:17 AM   in response to: cdalebrittain in response to: cdalebrittain
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
cdalebrittain wrote:
Yes, your Windows update could be the culprit. Computers have a basic "operating system language" that they assume you are using unless told differently.

In Word itself, "Language" is one of the choices on the Tools menu (or at least it is on my version of Word). If you don't find it, go to word help and enter "language" in the search box, and it should tell you where to go to keep those spellings you want. Good luck with your endeavor! (I'm American)

Thank you CDale, 'Tools' is now named 'Review' in Word 2013, and I've changed all I could to try to revert it to the original language -even double checking what I'd already changed, unfortunately nothing worked, but luckily, someone else here replied, and it made me take a closer look at things.
Elodie

Posts: 620
Registered: 03/23/14
Re: Word 2013 Language settings
Posted: Jan 13, 2017 11:23 AM   in response to: Alex Ryan in response to: Alex Ryan
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Alex Ryan wrote:
Another annoying trait is that if you copy a string of foreign text, which you might want to do to preserve the accents, if you do a simple default paste it will reset the proofing language to the language of your text from that point forward. Paste as text only avoids the issue.
Alex, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart!
You came with an answer just before I was ready to pull my hear out!

At the start of my new document, I'd copied and pasted a few notes from Wikipedia and other places as research notes, but while all of my settings indicated UK language, it kept underlining things that I knew were right.
Opening a new document also showed as being in the usual UK setting, and I just couldn't figure out what was happening with this one document.

Upon deleting all the copied content from wiki and other various sources, (after seeing your post), the document reverted back to UK English.

You've made my day, Alex.
Alex Ryan

Posts: 865
Registered: 06/07/16
Re: Word 2013 Language settings
Posted: Jan 13, 2017 12:25 PM   in response to: Elodie in response to: Elodie
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Glad to hear it worked out.
newmansouth

Posts: 363
Registered: 03/29/12
Re: Word 2013 Language settings
Posted: Jan 16, 2017 3:50 AM   in response to: Elodie in response to: Elodie
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Elodie wrote:
I know this has been answered before (I think it was 2 to 3 months ago), but I can't find the thread back.

I'm running Word 2013, on a Windows 10 machine - not sure if that's relevant...
I'm in the UK, and always write UK English, as apposed to American English.
Yet today, Word has started underlining words like endeavour and colour to be changed to endeavor and color.
I've gone to 'Review' - 'Set Proofing Language' and 'Language Preferences' to English (United Kingdom), but for some reason it keeps underlining UK English as wrong and telling me to change it to the US version.

Just as an FYI.
Today Windows ran a compulsory update (hence the mention of my Windows version earlier), could this be the culprit?
I can't figure out what else to change.
Does anyone have any suggestions?


Just got surprised to see Office 2010 functions on my Office 2007 version today.
This happened because I allowed an update (2010) to install a few days ago.

Now, the text, design functions, which were not found in Office 2007 are here.
I don't like 2010 and I removed it 4 years ago after I installed it for testing purposes. It was difficult to remove.

I hope I will not have the same issues, or else I will rewind Windows Updates as soon as issues arise.

John Monyjok Maluth
Blog: discipleshippress.com
Book: Payoneer MasterCard Card
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums