So I've been working away on my fixed layout picture book. I'm almost finished but have a problem with one font.
I have two embedded fonts. After conversion from epub, they both display properly in the KindleGen Previewer, but only one of them displays on the Fire (mobi conversion through KindleGen).
I assume that my Fire wouldn't display either font if this was down to user preferences (it's still running factory-settings).
Anyone seen this before?
Is it a font compatibility issue?
Finally, before you beat me up for using embedded fonts; yes I definately want embedded fonts, specifically because I'm creating a fixed layout picture book and I need to be sure that the text block is contained within a page and not spilling on to another ...which would knock all the subsequent fixed layout elements out of position.
They're both true type fonts. I embedded them in the CSS of my html, made an epub which I put through KindleGen to get a MOBI.
I've spent a couple of days trying to nail this, and eventually reached the conclusion that it must be the font, as I've checked the code works by substituting other fonts.
With this in mind, I've used another similar font. It's a compromise that I'd have preferred to avoid, but I have to be pragmatic about it. There have been quite a few compromises made over the last week or so, but I guess the Kindle Fire version was always going to be more of a compromise than the iPad.
For me the biggest pain is magnification. That's a clunky html code-based solution which in my view should be handled by the Fire.
Good luck with your ebook and please keep in mind that there are bugs in all of Amazon's publishing software, especially the KDP processor (if you try to upload an HTML file to KDP in order to obtain a mobi file).
If you're building a FF mobi file for the Fire, then you are setting the precise positioning for the text blocks, including the text popup, so there's no danger that the text will "flow over" to the next "page." FF in KindleFire mobi uses near-absolute positioning. The entire point is "non-reflowability." The font you choose has really nothing to do with that.
Nor do I see why anyone would "beat you up" about embedded fonts. Who cares? As long as, in a non-FF book, there are fallbacks that make the K7 version readable or the intent inferrable, so what?
We produce ebooks
Listed as an Amazon Professional Conversion Service: http://bit.ly/uFwMwb
An INScribe Preferred Conversion Partner http://www.booknook.biz/
Follow me on Twitter: @BookNookBiz
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
**(if you try to upload an HTML file to KDP in order to obtain a mobi file)**
That's exactly what I have done for 21 successful titles.
My impression, after four and one-half years of the KDP (formerly DTP), is that the bugs are mostly in the heads of the author-publishers. With a little help from Hitch and Mrlasers, there is nothing I can't do with html.
David, I'm not entirely sure, but I think you have to stick to the same fonts that Fire allows users to switch to on the device menu which would be Georgia, Caecilia, Trebuchet, Verdana, Arial, Times New Roman, Courier, and Lucida.
bkhitch: Thanks. Not sure that I agree with your take on this. The theory goes a bit like this: let's say I choose to use an embedded 'compacted' font, and let's say that the user's Kindle is set-up to use an 'expanded' font. When I set the font size and define a space for a block of text IF I don't provide an embedded font that fits inside that text block; in theory the user's font choice could mean that the text (using their font at the same size) doesn't fit inside the space I have defined. To the best of my knowledge when that happens the text spills on to another page and the whole fixed layout design falls apart. At least that's what's happened to me when I've been working on this. Am I wrong?
notjohn: Thanks. I'm new to KDP and can easily believe that much of the obstacles that I have come across are down to my early position on the learning curve. That said there does seem to be an Amazon bug in relation to the 'sample code' they attach to downloaded samples, as it doesn't handle landscape fixed layouts very well at present.
punchygonzales: Thanks for your input. It is possible to embedded other fonts (I've done it). Some seem to work while others that should also work don't. I'm not sure why, but that's my experience of the situation.
Thanks to everyone for your feedback and views on this. I'm in the process of getting my first three fixed layout picture books on to Amazon, and I'm about to start on a couple of reflowable titles. Hopefully they'll be a bit easier to code.