I’m having a bit of trouble with the cover for my book and I’m really hoping someone can help me.
First, a sincere and upfront thanks to anyone who can give me a hand! Thank you!
I’ll start out by admitting that I must be missing some very basic understanding here. I have lots of experience programming in html and css, but this situation has really got me stumped.
I’ve been coding my book up in Sigil and, using the Kindle previewer to convert to mobi and then opening the resulting file in Kindle for PC to get an idea of what it looks like. But, no matter what I do, my cover image doesn’t show up as a thumbnail in my Kindle for PC library.
I believe the content.opf is coded up correctly. I’ve stared at it for hours and can see no problem:
And, as another way to troubleshoot, I took another epub file that I know works (when I convert it to mobi and then look at it in Kindle for PC, the cover image shows up as a thumbnail in the library view), copied it to another name (using the ‘Save as’ function in Sigil) and replaced the original cover image with my cover image (same filename). So, the filenames for the two cover images are exactly the same, but the original image file has been replaced with my cover image. I didn’t touch anything else in the epub. But, when I convert this edited epub to mobi and then view in Kindle for PC, the thumbnail that shows up is the original image! How can that be? The original image doesn’t exist anywhere in the new epub file. (BTW, the new cover image shows up if I view the epub in Calibre.)
Ugh! I’m so frustrated!
Does anyone have any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong here?
First, let me say that you are a genius! You are my hero...!
I made the coding changes that you suggested and it worked! Very excited, but then...
BUT, and I know that you are going to think that I a bit off here, as soon as I change the author name from 'Mary', it no longer works! Seriously, I'm not joking! And, I was very careful in my typing!
So, I changed the name to my full name and it didn't work. I changed it to a number of other names, thinking that there may be a limit to the number of characters I can use. None of those worked either. I changed the name back to 'Mary' and it worked again. How weird is that? And, I tried it both using the Kindle Previewer and Kindlegen (using only the opf file)
Here are the names that I tried, in order:
<dc:Creator>Mary</dc:Creator> ---->Works! Yeah!
<dc:Creator>Mary Kenkel</dc:Creator>---->doesn't work!
<dc:Creator>Mary</dc:Creator> ---->Works again!
BTW, even when it works, I still get the following warning at conversion:
Warning(prcgen):W14016: Cover not specified
Do you have any other thoughts?
Also, can I ask what the P.S. from your previous reply meant? YOu said that it looked like I'm also trying to insert an HTML cover into your ebook. By this, you mean a separate page in the book for my cover? Yes, I am doing that. Aren't we supposed to? You suggest that I remove it from the manifest and spine. Can I ask why?
Part of the problem seems to be that I was using initials (and therefore periods) in my author name. I don't understand why, but taking that out, along with your other suggestions seemed to do the trick. Thank you again so much!
BTW, I've moved to editing in Oxygen Author because Sigil was adding and/or changing my coding when I saved the file. Very annoying.
But I'm still puzzed by the P.S. in your original reply to my question. Can you explain that to me?
glad that it worked finally and thanks for the compliment. If I am not mistaken, the author should be listed in metadata as follows: Kenkel, Mary
It is strange that the <EmbeddedCover> tag did not work. It always works for me in all versions of KindleGen. But your coding for cover.jpg is correct too.
In my P.S. I meant that you are going to insert a second cover into your book. This is unnecessary. The .xhtml file for the cover will not give you a native cover, I mean this second cover won't work as a full-screen image on Kindle devices, it will have margins all around. I would delete <item href="Text/cover.xhtml" id="cover.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/> from the manifest and <itemref idref="cover.xhtml"/> from the spine.
P.P.S. If you want to have a full-screen cover on most Kindles I would recommend that your cover.jpg file be 600 x 800 pixels. Also upload the same image in the KDP section "upload your book cover" (ignore Amazon's product image guidelines).
If you are using KindleGen 2.4, your cover image won't work as a full-screen cover in Kindle for PC and possibly on the Kindle Fire (according to Kindle Previewer). If you use KindleGen 1.2 instead, then you will have a full-screen cover in all Kindle reading apps and on all Kindle devices. (You can find KG1.2 easily on the Web.)