Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Ask the Community » General Questions

Thread: Unable to set Price 0 for my book


Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: Jun 20, 2017 9:07 AM Last Post By: Joe Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Tharugasini

Posts: 12
Registered: 12/23/16
Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 5:53 AM
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
I'm unable to set my book as free version with KDP Beta(I'm forced to set a price for it) where I remember I was able to do the same with KDP earlier. Is there a pricing setting limitation with KDP Beta version? Thanks.
cdalebrittain

Posts: 10,394
Registered: 03/05/11
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 6:46 AM   in response to: Tharugasini in response to: Tharugasini
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
You cannot price a print book at zero. This is because it always has costs--paper, ink, the printing process, binding.

You also cannot price an ebook at zero on Amazon, although you can drop the price to zero for up to 5 days every 90 days if you are in Select.
Tharugasini

Posts: 12
Registered: 12/23/16
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 7:23 AM   in response to: cdalebrittain in response to: cdalebrittain
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thanks. I meant ebook. However isn't there any option to mark it as a free version?

Edited by: Tharugasini on Jun 17, 2017 7:23 AM
writerbn

Posts: 4,215
Registered: 05/12/12
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 7:39 AM   in response to: Tharugasini in response to: Tharugasini
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Tharugasini wrote:
Thanks. I meant ebook. However isn't there any option to mark it as a free version?
No. If your book is enrolled in KDP Select, you can do a free promotion for 5 days out of every 90. However, you're wasting your time if this is your only book (search the forum for "free promotion").

Ama*zon wants authors to make money so they make money; therefore, you can't just price your book at zero.
Tharugasini

Posts: 12
Registered: 12/23/16
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 7:52 AM   in response to: writerbn in response to: writerbn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Thank you !
However, you're wasting your time if this is your only book (search the forum for "free promotion").
May be. It is part of learning I think.

Ama*zon wants authors to make money so they make money; therefore, you can't just price your book at zero.

I have seen books where print version is set to a price and kindle version is free or 0.
Donna St Felix

Posts: 4,309
Registered: 09/18/13
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 9:50 AM   in response to: Tharugasini in response to: Tharugasini
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Tharugasini wrote:
I have seen books where print version is set to a price and kindle version is free or 0.

That is for buyers who are in the Prime program.
cdalebrittain

Posts: 10,394
Registered: 03/05/11
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 10:04 AM   in response to: Tharugasini in response to: Tharugasini
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
If you have both a print and an ebook version of the same book, you can enroll it in "Matchbook." This is a program where a person can get a discounted or even free copy of the ebook if they have already bought the paperback. You set up the Matchbook price in the metadata (I believe 3rd page). "Free" is one of the options. I think the idea is "read the one yourself on your Kindle, give away the paperback as a gift."

But as Donna noted, "free" is not a price you can just set on KDP.
Tharugasini

Posts: 12
Registered: 12/23/16
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 10:39 AM   in response to: Donna St Felix in response to: Donna St Felix
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Donna St Felix wrote:
Tharugasini wrote:
I have seen books where print version is set to a price and kindle version is free or 0.

That is for buyers who are in the Prime program.

Thank you !

Tharugasini

Posts: 12
Registered: 12/23/16
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 10:41 AM   in response to: cdalebrittain in response to: cdalebrittain
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
cdalebrittain wrote:
If you have both a print and an ebook version of the same book, you can enroll it in "Matchbook." This is a program where a person can get a discounted or even free copy of the ebook if they have already bought the paperback. You set up the Matchbook price in the metadata (I believe 3rd page). "Free" is one of the options. I think the idea is "read the one yourself on your Kindle, give away the paperback as a gift."

But as Donna noted, "free" is not a price you can just set on KDP.

I got it. Thanks ! That helps.

Notjohn

Posts: 21,136
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 12:28 PM   in response to: Tharugasini in response to: Tharugasini
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
1. Lots of people do this by publishing the free version elsewhere and letting Amazon match the price. However, Jeff Bezos seems to be tiring of this game and won't always oblige.

2. For print editions, figure $3.50-$4 for the cost of the book and 40 percent as Amazon's share. So something like $6.50 would be the absolute lowest price you could set.

3. Giving books away is a mug's game unless you have a compelling series already available that might hook enough readers to make up the monetary loss on the first, free book. And then it would work best if you weren't in Select but were playing the same game on Barnes & Noble, Apple, etc.

Good luck! -- NJ

The book: Notjohn's Guide to E-Book Formatting (and print as well!)

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com
William E. Smit...

Posts: 52
Registered: 05/08/15
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 2:00 PM   in response to: Tharugasini in response to: Tharugasini
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Let me get this straight; you're unnerved because you feel forced to set a price and make money?
Tharugasini

Posts: 12
Registered: 12/23/16
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 8:04 PM   in response to: Notjohn in response to: Notjohn
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Notjohn wrote:
1. Lots of people do this by publishing the free version elsewhere and letting Amazon match the price. However, Jeff Bezos seems to be tiring of this game and won't always oblige.

2. For print editions, figure $3.50-$4 for the cost of the book and 40 percent as Amazon's share. So something like $6.50 would be the absolute lowest price you could set.

3. Giving books away is a mug's game unless you have a compelling series already available that might hook enough readers to make up the monetary loss on the first, free book. And then it would work best if you weren't in Select but were playing the same game on Barnes & Noble, Apple, etc.

Good luck! -- NJ

The book: Notjohn's Guide to E-Book Formatting (and print as well!)

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Thank a lot ! Let me explore those options available.

Tharugasini

Posts: 12
Registered: 12/23/16
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 8:11 PM   in response to: William E. Smit... in response to: William E. Smit...
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
William E. Smith Jr. wrote:
Let me get this straight; you're unnerved because you feel forced to set a price and make money?

Yes. Because I'm a fresher in amazon and fresher in book selling as well. Looks like no one even noticed my book. So I thought to make it a free version to attract audience and I might change my payment option if possible and if it works later though. By doing so at-least I'll be able to receive the royalty payment. That is my understanding. Thanks for trying to help me.

William E. Smit...

Posts: 52
Registered: 05/08/15
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 9:09 PM   in response to: Tharugasini in response to: Tharugasini
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Well, the buyer wouldn't know you were a 'newborn', unless you write like a 'newborn'. I'm not saying your book has problems; I haven't had a chance to view it; but, presentation matters. It could be any number of things; an issue with your cover, the content, or the genre (some sell better than others).
Tharugasini

Posts: 12
Registered: 12/23/16
Re: Unable to set Price 0 for my book
Posted: Jun 17, 2017 9:39 PM   in response to: William E. Smit... in response to: William E. Smit...
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
William E. Smith Jr. wrote:
Well, the buyer wouldn't know you were a 'newborn', unless you write like a 'newborn'. I'm not saying your book has problems; I haven't had a chance to view it; but, presentation matters. It could be any number of things; an issue with your cover, the content, or the genre (some sell better than others).

Yes. That makes sense. I'll have a look on those areas too. Thanks a lot !

Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums