Bookshelf | Reports | Community | KDP Select

Home » Amazon KDP Support » Publisher Support » Feedback

Thread: Paperback showing wrong categories


This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Reply to this Thread Reply to this Thread Search Forum Search Forum Back to Thread List Back to Thread List

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Jul 1, 2017 7:02 PM Last Post By: Joseph M Erhardt Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Kay Castillo

Posts: 1
Registered: 05/31/17
Paperback showing wrong categories
Posted: Jul 1, 2017 5:51 AM
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Amazon has replied several times that they would be in touch within 5 business days. It's been almost a month, and my clean, wholesome book is still classed in erotica on the web page. August Noir: Dallas 1940. Amazon, are you reading this? Thank you.
Joseph M Erhardt

Posts: 4,461
Registered: 12/21/15
Re: Paperback showing wrong categories
Posted: Jul 1, 2017 6:22 AM   in response to: Kay Castillo in response to: Kay Castillo
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, and welcome to the forums. A couple of things to note:

1. This is a forum for authors. KDP almost never reads this stuff.

2. If your response from KDP is inadequate, reply to the e-mail, do NOT start another Contact Us at the bottom right, as that will push things right back to square one.

Best of luck.
Ward Rogers

Posts: 1,308
Registered: 12/02/16
Re: Paperback showing wrong categories
Posted: Jul 1, 2017 8:05 AM   in response to: Kay Castillo in response to: Kay Castillo
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Your sales page classes it as mystery/historical, mystery/spies and mystery/espionage. No erotica tag in sight, but if you want people to think of it as "clean and wholesome" you shouldn't use noir in the title...wrong connotation. Words matter.
Joseph M Erhardt

Posts: 4,461
Registered: 12/21/15
Re: Paperback showing wrong categories
Posted: Jul 1, 2017 12:08 PM   in response to: Ward Rogers in response to: Ward Rogers
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Ward Rogers wrote:
Your sales page classes it as mystery/historical, mystery/spies and mystery/espionage. No erotica tag in sight, but if you want people to think of it as "clean and wholesome" you shouldn't use noir in the title...wrong connotation. Words matter.

Er, since when did noir have any kind of erotica connotation? Film noir, e.g., features menace and melodrama, stark contrasts, often night scenes, and a general lack of optimism (it also works best in B&W and not color). Has nothing to do with erotica.

Merriam Webster defines "noir" alone as:

"crime fiction featuring hard-boiled cynical characters and bleak sleazy settings"

which is in line with my understanding.
beachgardener

Posts: 373
Registered: 06/13/11
Re: Paperback showing wrong categories
Posted: Jul 1, 2017 12:31 PM   in response to: Joseph M Erhardt in response to: Joseph M Erhardt
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Am afraid Noir does indeed edge on the erotic to many minds. I give you Veronica Lake. A Noir star with an exotic, even erotic air about her and the parts she played. It may be an extension of the dictionary meaning of the word but the viewing public got the message. Nor was she the lone exotic/erotic lady The erotic comes in under the definition of sleazy. A lady of the Noirs was never any better than she had to be. At any rate, if an author wants to send the message wholesome, dark and sleazy doesn't do it.
Notjohn

Posts: 23,002
Registered: 02/27/13
Re: Paperback showing wrong categories
Posted: Jul 1, 2017 12:53 PM   in response to: beachgardener in response to: beachgardener
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Just so. Dictionary definitions, esp the abbreviated ones online, do a disservice when they don't deal with connotations.

Good luck! -- NJ

The book: Notjohn's Guide to E-Book Formatting (and print as well!)

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com
Ward Rogers

Posts: 1,308
Registered: 12/02/16
Re: Paperback showing wrong categories
Posted: Jul 1, 2017 5:03 PM   in response to: Joseph M Erhardt in response to: Joseph M Erhardt
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Joseph M Erhardt wrote:
Ward Rogers wrote:
Your sales page classes it as mystery/historical, mystery/spies and mystery/espionage. No erotica tag in sight, but if you want people to think of it as "clean and wholesome" you shouldn't use noir in the title...wrong connotation. Words matter.

Er, since when did noir have any kind of erotica connotation? Film noir, e.g., features menace and melodrama, stark contrasts, often night scenes, and a general lack of optimism (it also works best in B&W and not color). Has nothing to do with erotica.

Merriam Webster defines "noir" alone as:

"crime fiction featuring hard-boiled cynical characters and bleak sleazy settings"

which is in line with my understanding.


You've misread the post. "Noir" has no intrinsic connection with "erotica," and I made none. The OP wants people to think of her book as "clean and wholesome." Anyone seeking that sort of reader identification should never use the term "noir" in any form. Where in the definition you yourself cited is the inference of clean and wholesome? Cynical? Bleak? Sleazy? Noir ain't got room for either Pollyanna or Paddington.
Joseph M Erhardt

Posts: 4,461
Registered: 12/21/15
Re: Paperback showing wrong categories
Posted: Jul 1, 2017 6:54 PM   in response to: Ward Rogers in response to: Ward Rogers
 
Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this thread Reply
Ward Rogers wrote:
Joseph M Erhardt wrote:
Ward Rogers wrote:
Your sales page classes it as mystery/historical, mystery/spies and mystery/espionage. No erotica tag in sight, but if you want people to think of it as "clean and wholesome" you shouldn't use noir in the title...wrong connotation. Words matter.

Er, since when did noir have any kind of erotica connotation? Film noir, e.g., features menace and melodrama, stark contrasts, often night scenes, and a general lack of optimism (it also works best in B&W and not color). Has nothing to do with erotica.

Merriam Webster defines "noir" alone as:

"crime fiction featuring hard-boiled cynical characters and bleak sleazy settings"

which is in line with my understanding.

You've misread the post. "Noir" has no intrinsic connection with "erotica," and I made none. The OP wants people to think of her book as "clean and wholesome." Anyone seeking that sort of reader identification should never use the term "noir" in any form. Where in the definition you yourself cited is the inference of clean and wholesome? Cynical? Bleak? Sleazy? Noir ain't got room for either Pollyanna or Paddington.


Okay, I just looked at the product page, and you're right--the blurb even self-contradicts when you add "Nazi assassin" to "fun, clean read." Before you even consider the implications of "Noir". Gotcha.

BTW, there's no listing of this work in any erotica categories, at least not on the web page I saw. So if that was the case before, someone's corrected the issue.

Whoa! Hold on--the PAPERBACK edition is certainly mis-listed. I'd fuss over that, too! It's also listed in textbooks and romance. And, its a KDP ppb, not CreateSpace, so maybe the O.P. needs to double-check her keywords for the e-book vs. the keyword settings (if separate) for the paperback. Weird.

To the O.P.: Get a screen cap of the correct categories for the e-book. Then get a screen cap of the categories for the paperback. Attach the screen caps to the e-mail you got from KDP when you reply to them next, assuming they don't wind up fixing the problem. Two pics are worth 2000 words. Best of luck.

Edited by: Joseph M Erhardt on Jul 1, 2017 7:00 PM
Legend
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums