These problems are often related to "kernel drivers" in this case, possibly a java related driver.
While issues come when a given application needs to install kernel drivers which are 32bit and therefore will not run on a 64bit system, there may be 64bit versions that can be installed separately that the legacy app will use.
I've had no problems running it on Win7, 64-bit; what I can't do is run it with IE9 installed. Worked fine with IE8, and Amazon IS looking at the issue.
It's not an XP versus Win7 (or the dreaded Vista) issue; nor is it 32 v. 64; it's IE9, which I hope goes back to ruling in hell soon. We have it here for development purposes, of course, and as soon as we plopped it on one of the systems, MBPCreator crashed and burned as expected,as this behavior has been reported for a while now.
I produce ebooks
www.booknook.biz | @booknookbiz | @kimberlyhitch
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
I was about to object that I have the latest IE on my computer and it works okay, but I thought I should check before I opened my mouth, and sure enough: it's IE8.
I rarely use it, though. (Mostly to open the Kindle Publishing Guidelines, which are invisible to my Firefox.) It's a dreadful piece of software. Supposedly Microsoft and Mozilla are supposed to leapfrog one another, but it's been years since I used an iteration of IE that impressed me half as much as Firefox.
Actually I figured out the problem. Evidently the 64 bit version of MobiPocketCreator on Windows 7 insists that your table of contents tag has an element and attribute. In other words, if you used h1 for your table of contents tags, and you put just h1 in the tag field - the program crashes.
The only way around this is to change all of your h1 tags to something like < h1 class="chapter">Chapter Title</h1>. I was able to make this work without declaring the class in css (although that is a real no-no).
Then when I did the table of contents wizard - I put in h1 (tag) class (element) chapter (attribute). It works every time.
I would love nothing better. But I have not been able to get it to work. I have formatted all the files exactly as specified. Line by line. Built the entire opf file from scratch.
When I run KindleGen, I get some strange error about xls template may not contain stylesheet. It doesn't. When I run the opf file through MPC - suddenly it works. And no change has been made to the file.
However, it doesn't end there. The "altered" opf file works fine, but it chokes on the ncx file. The error message at that point says "root tag <ncx> not found." That's ridiculous - it most certainly IS there.
It would be nice to be able to skip MPC altogether but KindleGen will not work on my machine. It possibly might have to do with the fact that it is a 64 bit version of windows since that causes strange things to happen to MPC as well.
[i]It would be nice to be able to skip MPC altogether but KindleGen will not work on my machine[/i]
I used MPC when it was needed to upload books to Mobipocket ebookbase, but never for a Kindle edition. I have never used Kindlegen. These were not options in the first two (three?) years of the Kindle platform. Instead we uploaded Word docs or html files, and that's what I still do (html for me).
From what I have been able to deduce from these forums, MPC and KG are traps for the newcomer. No doubt they work well for those who use them every day. I'll stick with html, since it works for me.
I don't bother with NCX and OPF files. I build a plain vanilla table of contents using html links. Others use Word for that.
If you have a clean Word doc, I think you should try uploading that and seeing what you've got.
If you are able to build the sample book successfully, there is something wrong with your adaptation of the OPF. If you attach it to a message, it's possible that one of us might be able to spot the problem by reading it.