You know, I have been through many of the issues and responses for formatting and uploading. In all honesty, I have followed every direction attempting to upload my work, and
upon preview, the page numbers (breaks) are still incorrect. Actually they are non-existent. It's all there, just jumbled together.
I am using Open Office, and I have uploaded it as HTML as well as in pdf form (which I understand is bad juju as far as a proper transfer).
It should not be this difficult to simply transfer a file.
Page numbers don't work (at least not for those of us going the KDP route), so always get rid of those along with headers and footers.
If you like working in OpenOffice, I can suggest downloading the free trial of Jutoh and let it do most of the work for you. It will import and convert your ODT files to both ePub and Mobi formats, though not without some work on your part, but it makes constructing the TOC and NCX files a cinch and you don't need to learn HTML.
HTML will remove page numbers (headers / footers) correct? Perhaps that is what is causing the work to jumble up?
Perhaps if I just removed the header and evened the text out, that would solve the issue?
It USUALLY will remove that stuff, but I've seen a few people come through here over the past year with stories of page numbers showing up randomly on pages and that sort of thing. It certainly would be better to rmove it yourself to make sure it's done.
Thought that I'd mention that I did a book last week for a guy who had written it in WordPerfect (I don't know which version), and all his hyphens came out as little squares of junk code. It was easy enough to search & replace them, but WordPerfect users might want to watch out for that.
Since WordPerfect users cannot upload their files without converting them to html first, they need to understand that WP can insert way too much junk code for an e-book. Pay very close attention to font-family codes that it inserts during conversion. And be sure to check for charset=utf-8 in the html file. Any weird boxes appearing instead of something like a hyphen usually means the author more than likely used an off-beat font or symbol family inside WP. WordPerfect authors need to really keep it simple AND verify the code conversion in their html files. By trimming the code bloat you can cut the size of some WP generated html files by two-thirds.