Account & Taxes
- Create a KDP Account
- Manage Your KDP Account
- Sign in to Your KDP Account
- CreateSpace Account
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
- Format Your eBook
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- What is KDP?
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Kindle Vella
- Create a Series
- Orders & Book Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
- Payments & Reports
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Marketing & Distribution KDP Select KDP Select Benefits Kindle Unlimited Royalties in Kindle Unlimited
Royalties in Kindle Unlimited
|You're eligible for royalty payment from Kindle Unlimited (KU, or Abonnement Kindle in France) for pages an individual customer reads in your eBook for the first time.||
A guide to publishing on Amazon
RoyaltiesYou'll get one royalty payment for Kindle Unlimited (KU). We’ll pay according to the same payment schedule and payment method you selected for your other KDP sales. We review the size of the KDP Select Global Fund each month in order to make it compelling for authors to enroll their eBooks in KDP Select. We announce the fund monthly in our community forum. The share of fund allocated to each country varies based on a number of factors, such as exchange rates, customer reading behavior, and local subscription pricing. Author earnings are then determined by their share of total pages read, up to a total of 3,000 pages per customer per title.
For example, here's how we'd calculate royalty payout if $10 million in funds were available in a given month with 100 million total pages read (Note: Actual payouts vary and may be less; check your Prior Month's Royalty Report to see your earnings):
- Author with a 100 page eBook that was borrowed and read completely 100 times would earn $1,000 ($10 million multiplied by 10,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).
- Author of a 200 page eBook that was borrowed and read completely 100 times would earn $2,000 ($10 million multiplied by 20,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).
- Author of a 200 page eBook that was borrowed 100 times but only read halfway through on average would earn $1,000 ($10 million multiplied by 10,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).
We do not permit authors to offer, or participate in marketing that incentivizes Kindle Unlimited customers to read their eBooks in exchange for compensation of any kind. This includes payment (whether in the form of money or gift certificates), bonus content, entry to a contest or sweepstakes, discounts on future purchases, extra product, or other gifts.
Because we're always looking to improve our authors' experience, we have systems in place to monitor for potential manipulation.
Kindle Edition Normalized Page Count (KENPC v3.0)To determine an eBook's page count in a way that works across genres, devices, and display settings, we developed the Kindle Edition Normalized Page Count (KENPC). KENPC is calculated using standard formatting settings (font, line height, line spacing, etc.). We use KENPC to measure the number of pages customers read in your eBook, starting with the Start Reading Location (SRL) to the end of your eBook. Amazon typically sets SRL at chapter 1 so readers can start reading the core content of your eBook as soon as they open it. Non-text elements within eBooks including images, charts and graphs will count toward an eBook’s KENPC.
We released KENPC v3.0 to improve the way we measure how many pages of each eBook Kindle Unlimited customers read. We're constantly working to improve our programs and increase fairness of how we allocate the KDP Select Global Fund. These changes continue to improve the program and reward authors whose eBooks are being borrowed and read the most by customers.
The KENPC v3.0 update applies uniformly to all KDP Select eBooks and all versions of those eBooks. Regardless of which version a customer may be reading, all future royalties will be paid using KENPC v3.0. If a customer previously borrowed your eBook and is still reading it, any new pages read will be based on KENPC v3.0.
Authors are able to earn a maximum of 3,000 Kindle Edition Normalized Pages (KENPs) read per title per customer. This means that each time your eBook is borrowed and read, you will receive credit for up to 3,000 pages. We believe this results in an equitable distribution of the KDP Select Global Fund.
Your eBook's KENPC
You can see your eBook's KENPC v3.0 listed on the "Promote and Advertise" page in your Bookshelf, and you can also see total pages read on your Sales Dashboard report. Because it's based on default settings, KENPC v3.0 may vary from page counts listed on your Amazon detail page, which are derived from other sources.
KDP Select Global Fund
Our total payout from the KDP Select Global Fund will be unaffected by the transition to KENPC v3.0, and the amount you earn from the global fund will continue to be determined based on your share of total KENP read. The new KENPC version will be applied uniformly to all KDP Select eBooks and used to measure all pages read.
ReportingYou can see your Kindle Edition Normalized Pages (KENP) read in your Sales Dashboard report by marketplace and title. To see historical pages read, click "Generate Report" from your Sales Dashboard and go to the Orders Report tab.
If you're enrolled in KDP Select, you will also see the following data on your reports:
Month-To-Date Unit Sales Report: The number of pages Kindle Unlimited customers read of your eBooks, under the "Kindle Edition Normalized Pages (KENP) Read" column.
Prior Months' Royalties Report: For every title, there are five possible transaction types:
- Standard: Amount a title earned under the 35% or 70% royalty option.
- Kindle Edition Normalized Page (KENP) Read: Amount every KDP Select-enrolled title earned monthly through Kindle Unlimited (KU). If a customer reads pages in your eBook for the first time through KU, you will see a separate line item indicating the accumulated number of pages read under the column "Kindle Edition Normalized Pages (KENP) Read," and the royalty earned through KU under the "Royalty" column.
- Free - Promotion: Free downloads due to Free promotion campaign(s) through KDP Select.
- Free - Price Match: Free downloads due to competitor free price match.
- Pre Order: Units ordered for books you have made available for pre-order.