Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
Proofs are different from regular copies. They have a "Not for Resale" watermark on the cover and no ISBN. During printing, we place a unique barcode in the lower right-hand corner of the back cover. If you have images or text on this part of the cover, the barcode will cover them.
Ordering proofs isn't mandatory. If you order a proof, you can submit your book for publication right away or wait until you receive and review the proof. It's up to you. However, if your submission doesn't pass our quality review, you'll need to edit your files and resubmit them.
- Placing an order for proof copies
- Problems ordering proof copies
- Shipping proof copies
- Shipping times and delivery estimates
- How to order by Amazon marketplace
- Shipping rates
- Shipping to multiple addresses
- How to check your order status
- Pricing and discounts
Placing an order for proof copies
You can order proofs for books in "Draft" status, and you need to approve the book in Print Previewer first.
- Go to your KDP Bookshelf.
- Find the paperback or hardcover book you want to order.
- In the ellipsis ("...") menu, click Request Printed Proofs.
- Choose the order quantity. You can order up to five copies at a time.
- Choose the Amazon marketplace closest to your shipping location.
- Note: There are some regions where you may need to order your proof or author copy from a different marketplace. You'll be notified at checkout if we can't ship copies to the address you entered. To check which marketplace to select, review How to order by Amazon marketplace.
- Click Submit Proof Request.
Within four hours of submitting your proof request, you’ll receive an email with a link to complete your order. Once you receive this email, click the Proceed to Shopping Cart button in the email to complete your purchase. If you don’t complete your purchase within 24 hours of receiving the email, the proofs you requested will be removed from your Cart. If you can’t find or deleted the email, check your Cart for your proof order.
Important: Before clicking Request Printed Proofs, be sure that you’re signed into the correct KDP account that is associated with the title. This ensures that the email is sent to the correct email address. If you don’t see your email after four hours, make sure you’re checking the email address that is associated with your KDP account.
After you receive the email and click the link to complete your order, you'll be sent to the Amazon cart or basket. You can use your existing payment information and delivery addresses or add addresses to send copies to reviewers.
Note: If you’ve already ordered your proof copy, and you have questions about the shipping status, concerns with the print quality, or the book is damaged, visit Manage Orders.
Problems ordering proof copiesTroubleshoot common problems with proof orders:
Empty cart or basket. Common reasons why your cart or basket is empty or missing items:
- Not signed in to your KDP account. If you add items to your cart or basket while signed in to your KDP account and then sign out, your items will seem to disappear. If this is the case, you should be able to retrieve your cart or basket by signing back in to your KDP account.
- Expired proof request. Within four hours of requesting proof copies, you'll receive an email with a link to complete the order. If you don't complete the order within 24 hours of receiving this email, the request expires. If your request expires, you can submit another proof request.
- Different marketplace chosen. When you choose a marketplace for your request, you'll complete your order by going to the corresponding Amazon site. For example, if you choose Amazon.co.uk, you need to go to your Amazon.co.uk basket to complete the order.
No proof request confirmation email. Within four hours of requesting your proof, you'll receive an email with a link to complete your order. After you receive this email, click Proceed to Shopping cart/basket to complete your order. If you can't find the email or you deleted it, check your cart or basket for your proof order.
Browser issues. Sometimes you may have trouble ordering copies because of your web browser. Try clearing your cache and deleting your cookies. Check your browser's help files for instructions on clearing cache and deleting cookies.
Shipping proof copies
Shipping times and delivery estimates
Our manufacturing and delivery estimates are based on the quantity ordered and selected delivery speed. The most up-to-date delivery estimate will display during checkout.
Note: The delivery estimate is displayed on the last page at checkout, just before you click "Place your order." If you’re only looking for an estimate, and don’t wish to purchase copies at this time, you don’t need to complete the process of placing the order, you can simply return to your cart.
Actual manufacturing times fluctuate according to total order volume. There may be times that your order is manufactured faster than expected, but faster delivery isn't guaranteed. We recommend noting the delivery date you're given when placing the order. This date takes manufacturing time into consideration, and can change depending on the demand.
Note: Proof copy orders don't qualify for free or Prime shipping, but all paid standard and expedited Amazon shipping options are available. For kdp.amazon.co.jp, only standard shipping is available.
How to order by Amazon marketplaceThere are some regions where you may need to order your proof or author copy from a different marketplace. You'll be notified at checkout if we can't ship copies to the address you entered.
Below, you’ll find guidance on selecting the Amazon marketplace for placing your order, based on the shipping destination.
|Shipping to...||Order from...|
|Canada||Amazon.ca for paperback proof and author copies.
Hardcover proof and author copies are not currently available for Amazon.ca. To have hardcover proof and author copies delivered to Canada, select Amazon.com.
|United Kingdom||Amazon.co.uk for paperback proof and author copies.
Hardcover proof and author copies are not currently available for Amazon.co.uk. To have hardcover proof and author copies delivered to the United Kingdom, select Amazon.de, Amazon.es, Amazon.fr, or Amazon.it to place your order.
|Portugal||Amazon.es, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it|
*Swiss Customs Union
|Author copies cannot be shipped to Swiss Customs Union locations, however, you can purchase retail copies from EU marketplaces such as Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk, and Amazon.fr.
Shipping ratesThe total shipping charge for an order depends on several factors, including how many items are in the order and how quickly you need those items to arrive. Shipping rates and times depend on the shipping speed and the weight/size of the items.
The total shipping cost for your order is displayed on the last page at checkout, just before you click "Place your order."
|Local shipping rates:||Global shipping rates:|
Shipping to multiple addresses
You can ship copies to multiple shipping addresses by placing separate orders for each destination.
How to check your order status
For information on checking your order status, or managing orders you’ve already placed, visit Manage Orders.
Pricing and discounts
When you order proof copies through your KDP account, you pay the printing cost for each copy in your selected marketplace. The trim size, interior type, and page count determines this price. It doesn't include shipping charges or taxes. For estimated printing costs, use our calculator.
This price is the lowest price we can offer for your book. We can't offer additional discounts.
Proof copies are subject to taxes. The appropriate taxes are collected at checkout.
You might qualify to make tax-exempt purchases. Learn more about the Amazon Tax Exemption Program.