Account & Taxes
- Create a KDP Account
- Manage Your KDP Account
- Sign in to Your KDP Account
- CreateSpace Account
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
Format Your eBook
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
- Create an eBook Cover
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- What is KDP?
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Kindle Vella
- Create a Series
- Orders & Book Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
- Payments & Reports
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Topic 1 - Account Setup (U.S. Publishers)
WHAT THIS TOPIC COVERSAfter reading this topic, you'll be able to:
WHAT YOU'LL NEEDTo complete this topic, you'll need:
YOUR PROGRESSYou've just started Milestone 1. After you're done setting up your account, you'll enter your book details (Milestone 2), format your manuscript and cover (Milestone 3), and set rights and pricing (Milestone 4).
HOW TO SET UP YOUR ACCOUNT
Sign inTo sign in, you'll go to kdp.amazon.com and enter the same login and password you use to shop on Amazon. If you don't have an Amazon account, click "Sign up" and follow the instructions to create a KDP account.
Enter author/publisher informationTo enter your author/publisher information, you'll click the "(Your Name)'s Account" link at the top of the page. This will take you to the My Account page. In the "Author/Publisher Information" section, you'll enter your name, address, and phone number.
TIP: Don't enter your pen name here. This matters because we issue your payments and tax forms under the same name. If you want to use a pen name, enter it when you’re setting up your book details.
Enter payment & banking informationTo enter your payment information, you'll go to the "Getting Paid" section of the My Account page and enter your bank information. We need this so we can pay you royalties when customers buy your book.
Complete the tax interviewTo complete the tax interview, you'll go to the "Tax information" section of the My Account page and enter information like your name, address, and Social Security Number.
Save your informationWhen you're done, remember to click Save at the bottom of the page.
|Amazon requires all publishers, including nonprofit or tax-exempt organizations, to provide valid taxpayer identification information in order to comply with U.S. tax reporting regulations. This information must be collected in order for Amazon to determine whether any royalty payments made are subject to reporting and withholding to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Your account may be subject to 1099-MISC reporting if you receive at least $10 of royalties during a calendar year.|
WHAT TO DO NEXT
- Download or print the KDP Jumpstart companion guide so you have detailed, step-by-step instructions at hand as you set up your account on your computer.
- Go to your Bookshelf.
- Click the "(Your Name)'s Account" link at the top of the page.
- Enter your information into the "Author/Publisher Information," "Getting Paid," and "Tax Information" sections.
- Save your information and go to Topic 3, which covers writing your book description.