Account & Taxes
- Set up your KDP account
- CreateSpace Account
- Year End Tax Forms
- What is my tax account status?
- Taking the Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a US ITIN
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
- Format Your eBook
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- Start publishing with KDP
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Release Date Options
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Low-Content Books
- Kindle Vella
- Start a Book Series
Orders & Book Copies
Proof and Author Copies
- How do I order a proof or author copy?
- How much do proof or author copies cost?
- What is the cost to ship my proof or author copy?
- When will my proof or author copy arrive?
- I’m getting an error ordering my author copy
- I’m getting an error ordering my proof copy
- My proof or author copy came damaged
- My proof or author copy didn’t arrive on time
- My proof or author copy has printing errors
- Proof and Author Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
Payments & Reports
- KDP Reports
- Old Sales Reports
- KDP Payments
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Primary Audience and Reading Age
Sexually Explicit Images or Title You must select Yes or No to this question in order to proceed with title setup and select categories. Review our Metadata Guidelines to learn more.
Reading Age Setting the reading age will indicate to customers your intended audience on your detail page. While the field is optional, if you don’t include an appropriate reading age, for example for your Children’s or Teen & Young Adult books, it may not be eligible for your selected Children’s or Teen & Young Adult categories and it will not appear in age-specific search results in the Amazon Store.
Reading age appears on your book’s Amazon detail page below the description. If you select a reading age of 3-5 years, it appears as “Reading age: 3-5 years, from publishers”. Please note: the reading age on your Amazon detail page may differ from your original age selection. When customers review your book, they can provide feedback on reading age and difficulty. Amazon research shows that customers are more likely to trust reading ages recommended by other customers, so Amazon updates the reading age on your book’s detail page based on reviews. For example, your book may show “Reading age: 3-5 years, from customers”. This feature improves the customer experience and ensures your book appears for appropriate ages. If your book has a customer recommended reading age on Amazon, you will not be able to update it through KDP.
To ensure your Children’s or Teen & Young Adult books appear in search results, enter a minimum and maximum reading age based on the age bands below.
|Age / Book type|
Suitable books (examples)
Simple picture books with few or no words
Early-level readers, first chapter books
Middle-grade chapter books
Teen and young adult chapter books
To update the reading age:
- Go to your KDP Bookshelf.
- Find the Kindle eBook you’d like to update.
- Click the ellipsis button (“…”) and select Edit Details.
- Scroll to the Primary Audience section and select the appropriate age range from the drop-down menus.
- Click Save and Continue until you reach the Pricing page.
- At the bottom of the Pricing page, click Publish.
Updates may take up to 48 hours to reflect on Amazon.