Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
CreateSpace and KDP to Become One Service
We've started moving all CreateSpace books to KDP. To ensure a quality experience, we're doing this in waves. As a result, you'll only be able to create titles on KDP. To continue working on your books, log in to your CreateSpace account and follow the steps to move to KDP. Depending on when we move your book, you can:
- Move your books yourself. If we haven't moved your books yet and you'd prefer to do it yourself, you can do so in a few steps.
- Access your books on KDP. If we already moved your books for you, you'll need to verify your account information to access them on KDP.
- How do I move my books myself? You can move your entire catalog to KDP in a few steps. This quick video shows you what the move looks like. To start your move, go to your CreateSpace Member Dashboard and follow the instructions there.
- You already moved my books for me. What do I do? You need to verify your account information before you can access your books on KDP. See an overview of the process.
- How do I order author copies? Author copies are copies of your live paperback that can be purchased at printing cost. After an order has shipped, you can track your packages on Amazon or in the Amazon mobile app. After the move, it can take up to 24 hours for your KDP Bookshelf to show the option to order copies. Learn more about author copies.
- When will I get paid? You'll be paid on CreateSpace's payment schedule for all royalties earned before you move to KDP, as long as they meet the minimum payment threshold. After you move, you'll be paid for royalties earned on KDP’s payment schedule. Royalties earned through CreateSpace that don't meet the minimum threshold will move with your books and account information to KDP. If you move from CreateSpace to KDP in October and your earned royalties are above the minimum threshold, you'll receive your payments on the following schedule:
- October CreateSpace royalties will be paid at the end of November
- October KDP royalties will be paid at the end of December
- November KDP royalties will be paid at the end of January
- December KDP royalties will be paid at the end of February
- How do I access my historical CreateSpace reports on KDP? Once your CreateSpace books move to KDP, your sales will be tracked in your KDP reports. You can also access your historical CreateSpace report data in your KDP reports after the move's complete:
- Go to your reports
- If your sales are within the last 90 days, go to the Sales Dashboard tab. The default is set to 30 days, so adjust it to see the 90-day timeframe
- If your sales are older than 90 days, go to the Historical tab
- For both reports:
- Choose the "All Marketplace" drop down to filter by marketplace "Createspace – US," "Createspace – UK," "CreateSpace - DE"
- Choose the "Life to Date" dropdown to see all sales or choose the timeframe
- Do I have to publish an eBook on KDP? You can publish both eBooks and paperbacks on KDP. You don't have to publish an eBook on KDP, but you can easily create an eBook edition of your paperback by clicking + Create eBook next to the book on your KDP Bookshelf. Publishing in both formats can help you reach new readers. Learn more about publishing eBooks on KDP.
- What if I have a book in process on CreateSpace? When you move from CreateSpace to KDP, your incomplete book information will move along with your account details and available books. There are some differences between book statuses on CreateSpace and KDP:
CreateSpace status KDP status after moving Incomplete Draft In Review Draft Proof Review Draft Awaiting Proof Draft Available Live Retired Unpublished
- Which email should I use to sign in to KDP to link my accounts or create a new KDP account? If you're new to KDP, you can sign in using your existing Amazon login or create a new KDP account. You don't have to use your CreateSpace email to link your accounts.
If you have an existing KDP account, you can sign in using email address associated with your KDP account. If you maintain separate business entities for your print and digital publishing activities, you may want to create a new KDP account in the name of the business entity that manages your print publishing activities instead of linking to your existing KDP account. Keep in mind if you choose this option, you won’t have the consolidated payments, reporting, and book management that a single account would give you.
Access your books on KDPHere's an overview of the steps you'll take to access your books after we've moved them to KDP.
Make sure the email address we have is associated with the right CreateSpace account.
If you already have a KDP account, click Link your Kindle Direct Publishing account. If you don't have a KDP account, you need to create one before you can access your books.
Once you've linked to your existing KDP account or claimed a new one, click Go to your books. When we're done preparing your account, you'll be sent to your KDP Bookshelf.
Video: Accessing your books on KDP
Start using KDPWhen your books move to KDP, your reports, payment, and tax information also move. You can review your payment and tax information in Your Account and view your reports from your Bookshelf.
Fundamentals of KDP webinarThis video is a recorded webinar. It covers need-to-know information about the move and introduces you to KDP.
- Why is CreateSpace moving to KDP? (0:06)
- Differences between CreateSpace and KDP (1:36)
- How to move to KDP (3:15)
- Tour of KDP (4:04)
- Account set-up (6:54)
- Contact, payment, tax information (7:46)
- Account changes (10:09)
- Publishing new books (10:29)
- KDP University (12:14)
- Tools and resources (14:11)
- Royalties and pricing (17:37)
- Reports (18:37)
- Amazon detail page (21:58)
- Changing published books (22:27)
Differences between CreateSpace and KDPOverall, the self-publishing process on CreateSpace and KDP is the same. Just as you did on CreateSpace, you'll create covers, format interior files, choose print and distribution options, and buy copies on KDP. There are minor differences between the two sites, which we've included in this table:
Payment schedule CreateSpace pays royalties every month, approximately 30 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. KDP pays royalties every month, approximately 60 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. As a result, you'll be paid in November for royalties earned in October on CreateSpace, be paid in December for royalties earned in October on KDP, and be paid in January for royalties earned in November on KDP and so forth, as long as they meet the minimum threshold. Expanded Distribution royalties will be paid 60 days after the end of the month in which our distribution partners report their sales. Going forward, you'll be paid on KDP's payment schedule. Ordering author copies When you order your copies of your book on KDP, you do so through your Amazon cart and can use Amazon order tracking. Also, copies for the U.K. and the rest of Europe are manufactured and shipped from within Europe. To order copies on KDP, you need to make your book available on Amazon.
It can take up to 24 hours after you move for the option to order copies to show on your KDP Bookshelf. Learn more about author copies.
Unsupported languages Authors and publishers can upload and sell books on KDP with content and book details written in these languages. Books currently available in unsupported languages from CreateSpace will continue to be available for sale on Amazon. This change only affects the ability to update existing books or publish new ones in unsupported languages. That said, we continue to evaluate which features and services we offer in the future, including supported languages.
Cover Creator If you used Cover Creator on CreateSpace, the design won't be compatible with Cover Creator on KDP. We'll move your CreateSpace files and print your book using your existing Cover Creator cover. If you want to update your cover after the move to KDP, you're welcome to design a new one using KDP's Cover Creator. You can also use our templates.
Expanded Distribution On CreateSpace, it's not required to make your book available on Amazon to enable Expanded Distribution. On, KDP, it's required. CreateSpace books that aren't available for sale on Amazon.com will move to KDP in a "draft" status and will no longer be enrolled in Expanded Distribution. To re-enroll in Expanded Distribution, you'll need to make your books available for sale on Amazon.com by publishing and enabling Expanded Distribution through the KDP Bookshelf. It can take six to eight weeks for your book to become available again in Expanded Distribution channels. Learn more about Expanded Distribution. Author bio Your author bio you entered on CreateSpace will continue to display on your book's detail page. After you move to KDP, you can manage your bio on Author Central. Don't have an Author Central account? Printing costs On KDP, some low-page count books being printed in Europe (color books less than 30 pages and black-and-white books under 110 pages) will see an increase in printing costs. This affects a small number of titles. Use this calculator to determine printing costs.
Title information There are minor differences between title information on CreateSpace and KDP. By title information, we mean:
- Book details (e.g., title, description, categories)
- Manuscript and cover files
- Publishing and territory rights
Content and quality review On KDP, if you update your book details (e.g., title, description, categories), manuscript and cover files, or publishing and territory rights, we'll review your book again to ensure it meets our guidelines for book details, content, and quality.
Common tasks on KDPThe table below includes tasks you're used to doing on CreateSpace and resources for doing them on KDP. For how-to videos, guides with insider tips, and webinars hosted by Amazon publishing experts, check out KDP University.
Creating a cover Formatting an interior file Updating books Distribution Royalties Ordering copies eBook publishing
Frequently asked questions
Access your books on KDPWhat happens if I have a book in the statuses "awaiting proof" or "proof review" on CreateSpace and it's moved to KDP?
Royalties, sales rank, distribution, taxes