Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
CreateSpace and KDP to Become One Service
CreateSpace and Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) are becoming one service--making KDP the single place to publish and manage your print and digital books. To learn more about the move, see the topics below.
Back to top
Back to top
To ensure a quality experience, we'll enable the ability to move your CreateSpace books to KDP in phases, so authors may see it at different times. This quick video shows you what the move will look like.
Back to top
Back to top
Back to top
How to move
After you move
- How do I move? You can move your entire catalog to KDP in a few steps. This quick video shows you what the move looks like. To start your move, go to your CreateSpace Member Dashboard and follow the instructions there.
- How do I order author copies? Author copies are copies of your live paperback that can be purchased at printing cost. After an order has shipped, you can track your packages on Amazon.com or in the Amazon mobile app. After the move, it can take up to 24 hours for your KDP Bookshelf to show the option to order copies. Learn more about author copies.
- When will I get paid? You'll be paid on CreateSpace's payment schedule for all royalties earned before you move to KDP, as long as they meet the minimum payment threshold. After you move, you'll be paid for royalties earned on KDP’s payment schedule. Royalties earned through CreateSpace that don't meet the minimum threshold will move with your books and account information to KDP. If you move from CreateSpace to KDP in October and your earned royalties are above the minimum threshold, you'll receive your payments on the following schedule:
- October CreateSpace royalties will be paid at the end of November
- October KDP royalties will be paid at the end of December
- November KDP royalties will be paid at the end of January
- December KDP royalties will be paid at the end of February
- How do I access my historical CreateSpace reports on KDP? Once your CreateSpace books move to KDP, your sales will be tracked in your KDP reports. You can also access your historical CreateSpace report data in your KDP reports after the move's complete:
- Go to your reports
- If your sales are within the last 90 days, go to the Sales Dashboard tab. The default is set to 30 days, so adjust it to see the 90-day timeframe
- If your sales are older than 90 days, go to the Historical tab
- For both reports:
- Choose the “All Marketplace” drop down to filter by marketplace “Createspace – US,” "Createspace – UK,” "CreateSpace - DE"
- Choose the "Life to Date" dropdown to see all sales or choose the timeframe
- Do I have to publish an eBook on KDP? You can publish both eBooks and paperbacks on KDP. You don't have to publish an eBook on KDP, but you can easily create an eBook edition of your paperback by clicking + Create eBook next to the book on your KDP Bookshelf. Publishing in both formats can help you reach new readers. Learn more about publishing eBooks on KDP.
- What if I have a book in process on CreateSpace? When you move from CreateSpace to KDP, your incomplete book information will move along with your account details and available books. There are some differences between book statuses on CreateSpace and KDP:
CreateSpace status KDP status after moving Incomplete Draft In Review Draft Proof Review Draft Awaiting Proof Draft Available Live Retired Unpublished
- What paperback formatting resources does KDP offer? KDP offers several free formatting tools and resources:
- Build Your Book is a step-by-step video guide for formatting a paperback manuscript in Microsoft Word.
- KDP University offers webinars, videos, and end-to-end guides to help you successfully publish your book.
- Kindle Create Add-in for Microsoft Word (Beta) is a tool for formatting a manuscript in Microsoft Word.
- Cover Creator uses the book details you entered during title setup to help you design an eye-catching cover.
- Manuscript and cover templates can help you create print-ready paperback files.
Before you move your books to KDPOur tips for preparing for the move:
- Make your book available on Amazon. This will allow you to enable Expanded Distribution and order author copies on KDP.
- Check your payment information. Make sure your bank and tax details are up to date because this information will also move to KDP. If you have an existing account with complete payment and tax information, we'll use that information going forward.
- Make any changes to your Cover Creator cover. If you designed your cover using Cover Creator on CreateSpace and want to update it, do so before moving to KDP. Why? CreateSpace Cover Creator designs aren't compatible with Cover Creator on KDP. If you want to update your cover after the move to KDP, you're welcome to design a new one using KDP's Cover Creator. You can also use our cover templates.
- Finish setting up books in the statuses "awaiting proof" or "proof review." We recommend doing this on CreateSpace so you don't have to resubmit them on KDP. Books that aren't live on CreateSpace will move to KDP and appear there in "draft" status. The statuses "awaiting proof" and "proof review" don't exist on KDP. If needed, changes can be made on KDP after the move is complete. After you submit your book for publication on KDP, we'll check your files for quality issues.
- Make any changes to books written in languages KDP doesn't support. CreateSpace supports some languages that KDP doesn't. After your books are moved, you won't be able to make any changes to books written in languages KDP doesn't support.
- Download any CreateSpace files you want to keep. If you want to download files stored in your Project Tool box or any CreateSpace reports, we recommend that you do so before you move to KDP. After the move, you won't be able to access these files on CreateSpace.
How to move your books to KDPYou'll be able to move your entire catalog to KDP in a few steps.
To ensure you're moving the right books to KDP, confirm the CreateSpace account you want to transfer from.
To ensure you're moving your CreateSpace books to the right KDP account, confirm that it's the account you want to transfer to. If you don't have a KDP account, you need to create one during the transfer.
Once you've made sure you're transferring from and to the right account, click Start your move. When we're done preparing your account for the move, you'll be redirected to your KDP Bookshelf, where the transfer will be finalized.
|Video: Moving your books to KDP|
After you move your books to KDPWhen you move your books to KDP, your reports, payment, and tax information also move. You can review your payment and tax information in Your Account and view your reports from your Bookshelf.
Fundamentals of KDP webinarThis video is a recorded webinar. It covers need-to-know information about the move and introduces you to KDP.
- Why is CreateSpace moving to KDP? (0:06)
- Differences between CreateSpace and KDP (1:36)
- How to move to KDP (3:15)
- Tour of KDP (4:04)
- Account set-up (6:54)
- Contact, payment, tax information (7:46)
- Account changes (10:09)
- Publishing new books (10:29)
- KDP University (12:14)
- Tools and resources (14:11)
- Royalties and pricing (17:37)
- Reports (18:37)
- Amazon detail page (21:58)
- Changing published books (22:27)
Differences between CreateSpace and KDPOverall, the self-publishing process on CreateSpace and KDP is the same. Just as you did on CreateSpace, you'll create covers, format interior files, choose print and distribution options, and buy copies on KDP. There are minor differences between the two sites, which we've included in this table:
CreateSpace pays royalties every month, approximately 30 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. KDP pays royalties every month, approximately 60 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. As a result, you'll be paid in September for royalties earned in August on CreateSpace, be paid in October for royalties earned in August on KDP, and be paid in November for royalties earned in September on KDP and so forth as long as they meet the minimum threshold. Expanded Distribution royalties will be paid 60 days after the end of the month in which our distribution partners report their sales. Going forward, you'll be paid on KDP's payment schedule.
|Ordering author copies||When you order your copies of your book on KDP, you do so through your Amazon Shopping Cart and can use Amazon order tracking. Also, copies for the U.K. and the rest of Europe are manufactured and shipped from within Europe. To order copies on KDP, you need to make your book available on Amazon.
It can take up to 24 hours after you move for the option to order copies to show on your KDP Bookshelf. Learn more about author copies.
Authors and publishers can upload and sell books on KDP with content and book details written in these languages. Books currently available in unsupported languages from CreateSpace will continue to be available for sale on Amazon. This change only affects the ability to update existing books or publish new ones in unsupported languages. That said, we continue to evaluate which features and services we offer in the future, including supported languages.
If you used Cover Creator on CreateSpace, the design won't be compatible with Cover Creator on KDP. We'll move your CreateSpace files and print your book using your existing Cover Creator cover. If you want to update your cover after the move to KDP, you're welcome to design a new one using KDP's Cover Creator. You can also use our templates.
On CreateSpace, it's not required to make your book available on Amazon to enable Expanded Distribution. On, KDP, it's required. To maintain uninterrupted enrollment and availability in Expanded Distribution and keep your books available for online retailers and bookstores to purchase in a few weeks (when the move from CreateSpace to KDP begins), you'll need to make your books available for sale on Amazon.com. To make your books available for sale, please log in to your CreateSpace account and select "Amazon.com" under the "Standard Distribution" channels.
If you don't take action before the move begins, your CreateSpace books that aren't available for sale on Amazon.com will move to KDP in a "draft" status and will no longer be enrolled in Expanded Distribution. To re-enroll in Expanded Distribution, you'll need to make your books available for sale on Amazon.com by publishing and enabling Expanded Distribution through the KDP Bookshelf. It can take six to eight weeks for your book to become available again in Expanded Distribution channels. Learn more about Expanded Distribution.
|Author bio||Your author bio you entered on CreateSpace will continue to display on your book's detail page. After you move to KDP, you can manage your bio on Author Central. Don't have an Author Central account?
On KDP, some low-page count books being printed in Europe (color books less than 30 pages and black-and-white books under 110 pages) will see an increase in printing costs. This affects a small number of titles. Use this calculator to determine printing costs.
There are minor differences between the title information on CreateSpace and book details on KDP. You can update your title information after the move to KDP, but your changes will have to be in line with KDP's requirements for book details. This means changing one book detail might prompt you to change others, requiring you to resubmit your book.
Common tasks on KDPThe table below includes tasks you're used to doing on CreateSpace and resources for doing them on KDP. For how-to videos, guides with insider tips, and webinars hosted by Amazon publishing experts, check out KDP University.
|Creating a cover|
|Formatting an interior file|