Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
CreateSpace and KDP are One Service
We've moved all CreateSpace books to KDP. To continue working on your books, visit this page and follow the steps to access your books on KDP.
- Where are my books? We moved your CreateSpace books and account details to KDP. To access your CreateSpace books:
- Go to CreateSpace.
- Enter your CreateSpace email address and click Submit.
- This will send an email with a link to your CreateSpace account email address within 3 hours.
- Follow the email link and confirm your CreateSpace account information is correct.
- Sign in to KDP to link your KDP account or create a new account.
- Confirm you've selected the correct KDP account and click Take me to my books.
- When we are done preparing your account, you’ll be sent to your KDP Bookshelf.
- Which email do I use on KDP to access my books?
If you have a KDP account, sign in to that account. If you are new to KDP and don’t have a KDP account, you can create one. You do not need to set up a new KDP account with your CreateSpace login if you already have a KDP account.
If you maintain separate business entities for your print and digital publishing activities, you may want to create a new KDP account in the name of the business entity that manages your print publishing activities instead of linking to your existing KDP account. Keep in mind that if you choose this option, you won’t have the consolidated payments, reporting, and book management that a single account would give you.
- How do I order author copies? Author copies are copies of your live paperback that can be purchased at printing cost. After an order has shipped, you can track your packages on Amazon or in the Amazon mobile app. After the move, it can take up to 24 hours for your KDP Bookshelf to show the option to order copies. Learn more about author copies.
Video: Ordering Author Copies
- When will I get paid? You'll be paid on CreateSpace's payment schedule for all royalties earned before you move to KDP, as long as they meet the minimum payment threshold. After you move, you'll be paid for royalties earned on KDP’s payment schedule. Royalties earned through CreateSpace that don't meet the minimum threshold will move with your books and account information to KDP. If you move from CreateSpace to KDP in October and your earned royalties are above the minimum threshold, you'll receive your payments on the following schedule:
- October CreateSpace royalties will be paid at the end of November
- October KDP royalties will be paid at the end of December
- November KDP royalties will be paid at the end of January
- December KDP royalties will be paid at the end of February
- How do I access my historical CreateSpace reports on KDP? Once your CreateSpace books move to KDP, your sales will be tracked in your KDP reports. You can also access your historical CreateSpace report data in your KDP reports after the move's complete:
- Go to your reports
- If your sales are within the last 90 days, go to the Sales Dashboard tab. The default is set to 30 days, so adjust it to see the 90-day timeframe
- If your sales are older than 90 days, go to the Historical tab
- For both reports:
- Choose the "All Marketplace" drop down to filter by marketplace "Createspace – US," "Createspace – UK," "CreateSpace - DE"
- Choose the "Life to Date" dropdown to see all sales or choose the timeframe
- Do I have to publish an eBook on KDP? You can publish both eBooks and paperbacks on KDP. You don't have to publish an eBook on KDP, but you can easily create an eBook edition of your paperback by clicking + Create eBook next to the book on your KDP Bookshelf. Publishing in both formats can help you reach new readers. Learn more about publishing eBooks on KDP.
- What if I had a book in process on CreateSpace? When we moved your books from CreateSpace to KDP, your incomplete book information moved along with your account details and available books. There are some differences between book statuses on CreateSpace and KDP:
CreateSpace status KDP status after moving Incomplete Draft In Review Draft Proof Review Draft Awaiting Proof Draft Available Live Retired Unpublished
Access your books on KDPHere's an overview of the steps you'll take to access your books after we've moved them to KDP.
Make sure the email address we have is associated with the right CreateSpace account.
If you already have a KDP account, click Link your Kindle Direct Publishing account. If you don't have a KDP account, you need to create one before you can access your books.
Once you've linked to your existing KDP account or claimed a new one, click Go to your books. When we're done preparing your account, you'll be sent to your KDP Bookshelf.
Start using KDPWhen your books moved to KDP, your reports, payment, and tax information also moved. You can review your payment and tax information in Your Account and view your reports from your Bookshelf.
Getting Started with KDP videoThis video is a recorded webinar. It covers need-to-know information and introduces you to KDP.
- What is KDP (0:33)
- Logging in to KDP (1:56)
- Tour of the KDP Account (2:08)
- Account Set-up (4:35)
- Contact information set-up (5:02)
- Getting Paid Set-up (5:16)
- Tax Interview (5:55)
- Account Changes (7:09)
- Creating a new book (7:34)
- Book Details tab (8:06)
- Book Content tab (8:16)
- Book pricing tab (8:32)
- Creating multiple formats (9:00)
- What's behind the … (9:46)
- Author Copies (10:10)
- KDP Help pages (10:40)
- KDP Jumpstart (11:08)
- KDP University (11:38)
- Kindle Create (12:32)
- Print Previewer (13:26)
- Creating Covers (14:15)
- Royalties and pricing (15:53)
- Reports (16:45)
- Historical report (18:07)
- Month to date report (18:31)
- Payment Report (18:39)
- Pre-orders/promotions (18:58)
- Prior months royalties (19:15)
- Making changes (20:15)
Differences between CreateSpace and KDPOverall, the self-publishing process on CreateSpace and KDP is the same. Just as you did on CreateSpace, you'll create covers, format interior files, choose print and distribution options, and buy copies on KDP. There are minor differences between the two sites, which we've included in this table:
Payment schedule CreateSpace pays royalties every month, approximately 30 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. As a result, you’ll be paid in December for CreateSpace royalties earned in November. KDP pays royalties every month, approximately 60 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. As a result, you'll be paid in January for royalties earned in November on KDP and so forth, as long as they meet the minimum threshold. Expanded Distribution royalties will be paid 60 days after the end of the month in which our distribution partners report their sales. Ordering author copies When you order your copies of your book on KDP, you do so through your Amazon cart and can use Amazon order tracking. Also, copies for the U.K. and the rest of Europe are manufactured and shipped from within Europe. To order copies on KDP, you need to make your book available on Amazon. Learn more about author copies. Unsupported languages Authors and publishers can upload and sell books on KDP with content and book details written in these languages. Books currently available in unsupported languages from CreateSpace will continue to be available for sale on Amazon. This means that you cannot update or publish new books in unsupported languages. If your unsupported language book moved to KDP in a draft stage, you will need to publish it in a supported language. That said, we continue to evaluate which features and services we offer in the future, including supported languages.
Cover Creator If you used Cover Creator on CreateSpace, the design won't be compatible with Cover Creator on KDP. We moved your CreateSpace files and can print your book using your existing Cover Creator cover. If you want to update your cover after the move to KDP, you're welcome to design a new one using KDP's Cover Creator. You can also use our templates.
Expanded Distribution On CreateSpace, it was not required to make your book available on Amazon to enable Expanded Distribution. On, KDP, it's required. CreateSpace books that aren't available for sale on Amazon.com moved to KDP in a "draft" status and are no longer enrolled in Expanded Distribution. To re-enroll in Expanded Distribution, you'll need to make your books available for sale on Amazon.com by publishing and enabling Expanded Distribution through the KDP Bookshelf. It can take six to eight weeks for your book to become available again in Expanded Distribution channels. Learn more about Expanded Distribution. Author bio Your author bio you entered on CreateSpace continues to display on your book's detail page. You can manage your bio on Author Central. Don't have an Author Central account? Printing costs On KDP, some low-page count books being printed in Europe (color books less than 30 pages and black-and-white books under 110 pages) will see an increase in printing costs. This affects a small number of titles. Use this calculator to determine printing costs.
Content and quality review On KDP, if you update your book details (e.g., title, description, categories), manuscript and cover files, or publishing and territory rights, we'll review the updated version to ensure it meets our guidelines for book details, content, and quality.
Common tasks on KDPThe table below includes tasks you're used to doing on CreateSpace and resources for doing them on KDP. For how-to videos, guides with insider tips, and webinars hosted by Amazon publishing experts, check out KDP University.
Creating a cover Formatting an interior file Updating books Distribution Royalties Ordering copies eBook publishing
Frequently asked questions
Access your books on KDPWhat happens if I have a book in the statuses "awaiting proof" or "proof review" on CreateSpace and it's moved to KDP?
Royalties, sales rank, distribution, taxesI have a KDP account that I moved my books into already. What tax information will be used after I move?