Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
CreateSpace and KDP to Become One Service
Before you move
See our list of tips for preparing your CreateSpace account for the move to KDP.
How to move
In a few weeks, we’ll automatically move all accounts to KDP. If you’d like to get a head start, you can move your entire catalog yourself in a few steps. To ensure a quality experience, we'll enable the ability to move your CreateSpace books to KDP in phases, so authors may see it at different times. See an overview of the process.
See frequently asked questions for general information about the move, as well as details about moving your books and royalty payments, sales rank, distribution, and taxes.
Before you move your books to KDPOur tips for preparing for the move:
- Make your book available on Amazon. This will allow you to enable Expanded Distribution and order author copies on KDP.
- Check your payment information. Make sure your bank and tax details are up to date because this information will also move to KDP. If you have an existing account with complete payment and tax information, we'll use that information going forward.
- Make any changes to your Cover Creator cover. If you designed your cover using Cover Creator on CreateSpace and want to update it, do so before moving to KDP. Why? CreateSpace Cover Creator designs aren't compatible with Cover Creator on KDP. If you want to update your cover after the move to KDP, you’re welcome to design a new one using KDP's Cover Creator. You can also use our cover templates.
- Finish setting up books in the statuses "awaiting proof" or "proof review." We recommend doing this on CreateSpace so you don't have to resubmit them on KDP. Books that aren't live on CreateSpace will move to KDP and appear there in "draft" status. The statuses "awaiting proof" and "proof review" don't exist on KDP. If needed, changes can be made on KDP after the move is complete. After you submit your book for publication on KDP, we'll check your files for quality issues.
- Make any changes to books written in languages KDP doesn't support. CreateSpace supports some languages that KDP doesn't. After your books are moved, you won't be able to make any changes to books written in languages KDP doesn't support.
- Download any CreateSpace files you want to keep. If you want to download files stored in your Project Tool box or any CreateSpace reports, we recommend that you do so before you move to KDP. After the move, you won't be able to access these files on CreateSpace.
How to move your books to KDPYou'll be able to move your entire catalog to KDP in a few steps.
To ensure you're moving the right books to KDP, confirm the CreateSpace account you want to transfer from.
To ensure you're moving your CreateSpace books to the right KDP account, confirm that it's the account you want to transfer to. If you don't have a KDP account, you need to create one during the transfer.
Once you've made sure you're transferring from and to the right account, click Start your move. When we're done preparing your account for the move, you'll be redirected to your KDP Bookshelf, where the transfer will be finalized.
|Video: Moving your books to KDP|
After you move your books to KDPBrowse the topics below to learn about differences between CreateSpace and KDP, as well as how to complete common tasks on KDP. When you move your books to KDP, your reports, payment and tax information also move. You can review your payment and tax information in Your Account and view your reports from your Bookshelf.
- Historical CreateSpace royalty reports to transfer to KDP;
- Your Bookshelf to display the option to order proof and author copies;
- Your file status to change from "processing" to "live"; however, this does not impact your book’s availability on Amazon.
Differences between CreateSpace and KDPOverall, the self-publishing process on CreateSpace and KDP is the same. Just as you did on CreateSpace, you'll create covers, format interior files, choose print and distribution options, and buy copies on KDP. There are minor differences between the two sites, which we've included in this table:
CreateSpace pays royalties every month, approximately 30 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. KDP pays royalties every month, approximately 60 days after the end of the month in which they were earned. As a result, you’ll be paid in September for royalties earned in August on CreateSpace, be paid in October for royalties earned in August on KDP, and be paid in November for royalties earned in September on KDP and so forth as long as they meet the minimum threshold. Expanded Distribution royalties will be paid 60 days after the end of the month in which our distribution partners report their sales. Going forward, you'll be paid on KDP's payment schedule.
On KDP, some low-page count books being printed in Europe (color books less than 30 pages and black-and-white books under 110 pages) will see an increase in printing costs. This affects a small number of titles. Use this calculator to determine printing costs.
If you used Cover Creator on CreateSpace, the design won't be compatible with Cover Creator on KDP. We'll move your CreateSpace files and print your book using your existing Cover Creator cover. If you want to update your cover after the move to KDP, you’re welcome to design a new one using KDP's Cover Creator. You can also use our templates.
There are minor differences between the file review process on CreateSpace and KDP. Here's how it works on KDP:
There are minor differences between the title information on CreateSpace and book details on KDP. You can update your title information after the move to KDP, but your changes will have to be in line with KDP's requirements for book details. This means changing one book detail might prompt you to change others, requiring you to resubmit your book.
Authors and publishers can upload and sell books on KDP with content and book details written in these languages. Books currently available in unsupported languages from CreateSpace will continue to be available for sale on Amazon. This change only affects the ability to update existing books or publish new ones in unsupported languages. That said, we continue to evaluate which features and services we offer in the future, including supported languages.
|Orders||When you order your book on KDP, you'll order it through your Amazon Shopping Cart and be able to use Amazon order tracking. Also, copies for the U.K. and the rest of Europe are manufactured and shipped from within Europe. To order copies on KDP, you need to make your book available on Amazon. Learn more about author copies.
On CreateSpace, it's not required to make your book available on Amazon to enable Expanded Distribution. On, KDP, it's required. To maintain uninterrupted enrollment and availability in Expanded Distribution and keep your books available for online retailers and bookstores to purchase in a few weeks (when the move from CreateSpace to KDP begins), you'll need to make your books available for sale on Amazon.com. To make your books available for sale, please log in to your CreateSpace account and select "Amazon.com" under the "Standard Distribution" channels.
If you don't take action before the move begins, your CreateSpace books that aren't available for sale on Amazon.com will move to KDP in a "draft" status and will no longer be enrolled in Expanded Distribution. To re-enroll in Expanded Distribution, you'll need to make your books available for sale on Amazon.com by publishing and enabling Expanded Distribution through the KDP Bookshelf. It can take six to eight weeks for your book to become available again in Expanded Distribution channels.
|Advertising||Unlike CreateSpace, KDP allows you to schedule ads for your paperback. Learn more about advertising for KDP books.
|KDP Select||If you publish your paperback in digital format on KDP, you can take advantage of KDP Select. This is an optional program for eBooks that gives you the opportunity to reach more readers and earn more royalties. Learn more about KDP Select.
|Book remains live||On CreateSpace, your books are removed from sale while you make changes. On KDP, books remains live while you're making changes.
|Author bio||Your author bio you entered on CreateSpace will continue to display on your book's detail page. After you move to KDP, you can manage your bio on Author Central. Don't have an Author Central account?
|Local language||The KDP website and customer service support is available in English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, and Japanese.
Common tasks on KDPThe table below includes tasks you're used to doing on CreateSpace and resources for doing them on KDP. For how-to videos, guides with insider tips, and webinars hosted by Amazon publishing experts, check out KDP University.
|Creating a cover|
|Formatting an interior file|