Account & Taxes
- Create a KDP Account
- Manage Your KDP Account
- Sign in to Your KDP Account
- CreateSpace Account
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
Format Your eBook
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
- Create an eBook Cover
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- What is KDP?
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Kindle Vella
- Create a Series
- Orders & Book Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
- Payments & Reports
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
KDP Tools and Resources
Manuscript formatting resources
eBookThe tool you choose depends on your book and file format (DOC, DOCX, PDF), and whether you want to use a guide or downloadable desktop formatting tool. This decision tree can help you choose the best resource for your book. After you decide, click the links below the tree.
Kindle Create | Step-by-step guide (Word for PC) | Kindle Kid's Book Creator | Kindle Comic Creator
*We don't recommend PDF for text-heavy books.
**Guided View technology allows readers to view a comic panel by panel on mobile devices in a way that mimics the eye's natural motion through the comic.
Paperback and hardcoverThe resource you choose depends on your word processor and whether you want to use a template. This decision tree can help you choose the best resource for your book. After you decide, click the links below the tree.
Step-by-step guide (Word for PC) | Step-by-step guide (Word for Mac) | Step-by-step guide (Pages) | Manuscript templates | File setup calculator | Print cost and royalty calculator
Cover formatting resourcesFor help formatting your cover, check out these resources:
- Design a basic cover with our Cover Creator tool.
- See a guide with detailed file type, size, and color requirements.
Paperback and hardcover
- Design a basic cover with our Cover Creator tool.
- Try templates to create covers with any program that will open PNG or PDF file and save a PDF file.
- See a detailed guide with file type, size, image, barcode, and color requirements:
File setup calculator
For paperback only: To get measurements of your paperback's interior, use our file setup calculator:
The tool gives you margin, bleed, and spine measurements.
Note: If you're using a Mac, make sure your Mac OS and Microsoft Office are updated before downloading this calculator.
For cover measurements of your paperback or hardcover, use our cover calculator and template generator.
Printing cost and royalty calculatorTo estimate your printing cost and paperback royalty, use our calculator.
Figures generated by this tool are for estimation purposes only. Your actual royalty will be calculated when you set up your paperback on KDP.
eBookTo see how your eBook will look on tablets E-readers, and phones before you publish it, you have two options:
- Kindle Previewer. Use this free desktop standalone application as you format your book to make sure it looks as intended. Learn more about Kindle Previewer.
- Online Previewer. Use this tool to do one last check before you publish your eBook on KDP. The tool is on your KDP Bookshelf.
Paperback and hardcoverAfter you upload your files, you'll check them with our Print Previewer. This tool checks for errors you need to fix before you can submit your book for publication. Print Previewer is on your KDP Bookshelf.
Learn more about previewing eBooks, paperbacks, and hardcover books.