Account & Taxes
- Create a KDP Account
- Manage Your KDP Account
- Sign in to Your KDP Account
- CreateSpace Account
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
- Format Your eBook
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- What is KDP?
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Kindle Vella
- Create a Series
- Orders & Book Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
- Payments & Reports
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
- Choosing categories
- Add or update categories
- View Amazon categories
- Restricted categories
- Children's or teen and young adult categories
- Series categories
Need help choosing categories and keywords?Watch this video to learn how to make your book more discoverable on Amazon.
Video: Categories and Keywords
- Categories (0:09)
- BISAC (0:35)
- Amazon browse categories (1:06)
- Keywords (4:00)
To make your book appear in the right Amazon categories, choose the two BISAC categories and keywords that best describe your book. While choosing categories, keep the below guidelines in mind.
- Be accurate. Choose the most accurate categories based on your book's central topic or storyline. Do not choose one category that's explicitly fiction and another that's explicitly nonfiction, or mix categories such as Fiction, Nonfiction, and Comics. We do not tolerate inaccurate or unexpected categorization that misleads or manipulates our customers. Note: do not use the Comics category for an illustrated book unless it is a fixed layout comic format book.
- Be specific. Choose specific categories instead of general ones. Customers looking for specific topics will find your book more easily. We'll display your book in the general categories as well. For example, a book in the "FICTION > Fantasy > Historical" category will also show up in searches for general fiction and general fantasy. Choose a "General" category only if your book is a general book about a broad topic.
- Don't be redundant. Choosing a single category will display your book in a variety of searches, so don't list your book in a category and its sub-categories. For example, don't choose "FICTION > Fantasy > Historical" and "FICTION > Fantasy." One specific, accurate category is more effective than a redundant second one.
Add or update categories
- Go to your Bookshelf and click the ellipsis button ("…") under the KINDLE EBOOK ACTIONS, PAPERBACK ACTIONS, or HARDCOVER ACTIONS menu next to your book.
- Choose Edit eBook Details, Edit Paperback Details, or Edit Hardcover Details.
- Under the "Categories" section, make your changes.
- Go to the bottom of the page and click Save and Continue.
- On the book Pricing tab, click the publish button at the bottom of the page.
Note: Companion books, also referred to as summaries, study guides, or analysis books, can't be added to additional browse categories on Amazon.
View Amazon categories
|Marketplace||For eBooks||For paperback and hardcover|
|Amazon.com||US Kindle Store||US Books Store|
|Amazon.co.uk||UK Kindle Store||UK Books Store|
|Amazon.ca||CA Kindle Store||CA Books Store|
|Amazon.com.au||AU Kindle Store||AU Books Store|
|Amazon.de||DE Kindle Store||DE Books Store|
|Amazon.nl||NL Kindle Store||NL Books Store|
|Amazon.fr||FR Kindle Store||FR Books Store|
|Amazon.it||IT Kindle Store||IT Books Store|
|Amazon.es||ES Kindle Store||ES Books Store|
|Amazon.com.br||BR Kindle Store||BR Books Store|
|Amazon.in||IN Kindle Store||IN Books Store|
|Amazon.co.jp||JP Kindle Store||JP Books Store|
From the store's menu, click on a category to expand the list and see applicable subcategories. Keep clicking on the subcategories until no more options appear underneath. In the example below, you can see the browse category is Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Architecture > Architects, A-Z. In this example, Architects A-Z is the most specific subcategory.Note: Not all categories have same number of subcategories.
Children's or teen and young adult categories
Want to list your book in the Children's or Teen & Young Adult categories on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, or Amazon.de? If so, you must choose at least one Juvenile Category (BISAC Subject Code). Children's categories are for books intended for children to read. For Children's categories, you'll need to set the minimum recommended reading age to 0 – 11 years old.
For Teen & Young Adult categories on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, set the minimum recommended reading age to 13 – 17 years old. For Amazon.de, set the minimum recommended reading age to 12 – 15 years. On Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, titles with a Juvenile Category and a minimum recommended age of 12 may be categorized in Children’s or Teens. This depends on other information about the book. Keep in mind that an independent category will show for Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.es, and Amazon.it.
Note: Teen & Young Adult categories and Children categories cannot be added together to the same book
Learn more about entering age and grade ranges.