WHAT THIS TOPIC COVERS
After reading this topic, you'll be able to:
- Select the territories for which you hold distribution rights
- Select a royalty plan
- Set and manage your list price
You've completed Milestones 1, 2, and 3. Now you're working on Milestone 4. When you're done, you'll be ready to publish your book on KDP.
HOW TO SET EBOOK RIGHTS & PRICING
Select territoriesDuring title setup, you'll be asked to select the territories for which you hold distribution rights. You have two options:
- All territories (worldwide rights). This enables Amazon to make your book available for sale on all Amazon websites. If your book is your original content and you've never published it before, you most likely have worldwide rights.
- Individual territories. This will limit sales of your book to the selected territories. Here's a list of territories included in each Kindle Store.
Choose a royalty planYou'll choose between two royalty options for your eBook: 35% and 70%. The right plan for you will depend on factors like the type and size of content in your book, as well as your desired price point:
See the chart below for help on choosing a plan that will work best for your book:
- Public domain. If your book content is public domain, it's ineligible for the 70% royalty plan.
- File size. If your book contains lots of graphics or images and you choose the 70% royalty plan, we may deduct delivery costs to process, store, and deliver your book to customers. Delivery costs do not apply to the 35% royalty plan.
- List price. If you want more flexibility in setting your list price, you may want to choose the 35% option. The 70% plan requires you to set your list price within a certain range (e.g., between $2.99 and $9.99 for eBooks sold on Amazon.com). Being able to set your list price outside of this range may allow you to sell your book at more competitive prices.
TIP: The 70% royalty option only applies to books sold to customers in the 70% territories. Sales to customers in all other locations will receive a 35% royalty, and will show up in your royalty reports at the 35% rate.
Set your list priceYou have three options for setting your list price:
TIP: There are minimum and maximum list price requirements depending on marketplace, royalty plan, and file size. You can't list your book for free, but it's possible to run a free book promotion.
- Option 1. Choose your primary marketplace and set your list price in the currency of that marketplace. We'll automatically convert the price to currencies available in the other marketplaces.
- Option 2. Enter a specific amount by marketplace and available currency.
- Option 3. Use KDP Pricing Support (Beta). This optional service shows the impact of changes in KDP book prices on a number of books sold and author earnings.
Look at eBooks with content similar to yours on Amazon to find typical list prices. When you enter your pricing information, you’ll be able to see your estimated royalty. Our pricing grid automatically calculates your estimated royalty based on:
- List price you enter
- Royalty plan (35% or 70%) you choose
- Delivery cost
To see how your list price, royalty plan, and delivery costs impact your estimated royalty:
- Go to your Bookshelf.
- Under the KINDLE EBOOK ACTIONS menu, select "Edit eBook Pricing."
- Select the territories for which you hold distribution rights.
- Select a royalty plan.
- Enter a list price and see how the pricing grid automatically updates the delivery cost and estimated royalty. You’ll also be able to see the minimum and maximum list prices you can set. Applicable taxes will display for marketplaces in which they are charged.
The price you enter won’t be saved until you click Publish Your Kindle eBook
so don't be afraid to experiment with entering different list prices.
WHAT TO DO NEXT
- Download or print the KDP Jumpstart companion guide. The companion also includes instructions on updating your list price and removing your eBook from sale.
- Go to your Bookshelf and follow the instructions in the companion guide.
- When you're finished, you'll save and publish your eBook. Congratulations on becoming a published author!
Want to know when your book will become available on Amazon? For information on timelines, including details on new publications and updates to published books, see our Help page
KDP Jumpstart Home
Send us feedback! Complete a survey
to tell us how you like KDP Jumpstart. The survey is hosted by Qualtrics, so you'll visit their site to fill it out. Our support team does not respond to concerns or questions entered in the survey. If you can't find your answer in our Help pages, contact us