Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
Advertising for KDP books
Register for Amazon Ads to create ads for readers interested in books like yours.
You can find all advertising help in the ads console Support Center. This is your go-to place for how-to's, troubleshooting, videos, and more.
- How to create ads
- Frequently asked questions
- I need more help with Amazon Ads, what resources are available to help me learn about advertising?
How to create ads
Check eligibility requirementsYou can create ads for books you publish through KDP, co-authored books, and books published outside of KDP. For KDP titles, ads are available in the US, CA, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, and Australia.
For traditional published titles (books that are not self-published, and are published outside KDP), ads are available in the US, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, and France. To advertise your title, it must meet book advertising guidelines. Take this time to make sure your ad and book content meets the book ads creative acceptance policies
If the book title or content is in a language other than the language of the Amazon site where the ad will display. The following conditions apply:
Get your detail page readyCustomers who click your ad will be taken to your book's product detail page, and a strong detail page can help convert the click into a sale. Make sure your detail page has a good summary of your title and includes support for any claims you may make in your ads (ex: New York Times bestseller).
With A+ content, you can also enhance your product detail page by adding images, text, and comparison tables to engage readers and give more information as they consider buying your book. Learn more about A+ content.
Add your books on Amazon Author CentralAdd your books to your Amazon Author Central account so they appear on your Author Page. For traditional published titles, you must add at least one pen name and at least one book to your Author Central account before you can start advertising.
To create a Sponsored Brands campaign, you must add at least one pen name with three unique titles to your Author Central account. Lean more about adding a new pen name. To add books to your Amazon Author Central account:
Register for an advertising account
Launch you first campaignWe recommend getting started with Sponsored Products because you can help customers find your books by quickly creating ads that appear in related shopping results and product pages. In just a few minutes, you can create a campaign, even if you've never advertised before.
Sponsored Products are cost-per-click (CPC) so you only pay when customers click on your ad. You choose how much to bid per click and set your own budget. Watch an introduction video and learn more about Sponsored Products.
After launching your campaign, it will go through a review process called moderation. Learn more about ads moderation.
You can also refer to the ads console Support Center for more instructions on creating a campaign. You can also get step-by-step help while creating your campaign. Click on the question mark (?) next to each section.
For additional ads resources, see I need more help with Amazon Ads, what resources are available to help me learn about advertising?.
Manage your adsAfter you’ve launched your first campaign, visit the Ads console at advertising.amazon.com to see your performance, manage your campaigns, and launch new campaigns. Keep in mind that your ads will only display in the Amazon Ads console, they will not appear in your KDP Bookshelf or KDP reports.
To learn more about optimization and campaign management, refer to Amazon Ads Support Center.
You can also learn more about ads by looking I need more help with Amazon Ads, what resources are available to help me learn about advertising?
Frequently asked questions
What type of Ads can I create?With Amazon Ads you can create Sponsored Products, Sponsored Brands, and Lockscreen ads (eBooks only, US only). To see more details about each ad type, refer to the Getting started guide for authors
Inside your Amazon Advertising account, you can see your ad campaigns, status, and performance data. Keep in mind that your ad campaigns will only display in your Amazon Ads account, they will not appear in your KDP Bookshelf.
Why is there a difference between the reports showing in my KDP account and the ones in my Amazon Ads Account?It is expected for you to notice a difference on the information displayed on your reports between your KDP and your Amazon Ads account.
|Report||KDP Account||Amazon Ads Account|
|Kindle Edition Normalized Pages (KENP)||
||Shows the estimated number of normalized pages attributed to your Sponsored Products campaign from customers who borrow your book from Kindle Unlimited. This metric helps you understand the volume of pages read after customers click your ads.|
||The estimated KENP royalties metrics from your ads dashboard only reflect royalties from pages read that are attributed to an ad campaign for your book. This means, a customer who clicked on your ad and then read your book pages within 14 days after the click.|
Why should I advertise my books?Amazon Ads helps you reach audiences where they shop, read, listen, and watch. With Sponsored Ads, you can connect with customers through ads that appear in Amazon shopping results and drive discovery of your brand as an author.
- 76% of global surveyed book buyers who research a book on Amazon recall seeing an ad.*
- 62% of global surveyed book buyers who discover a title or author while shopping on Amazon go on to purchase that title or author, either on Amazon or elsewhere.*
- 55% of global surveyed book buyers who visited Amazon say Amazon provided information that made them feel confident in their purchase.*
*Amazon and Kantar books path to purchase study, March 2021
What is ad moderation?Whenever you submit an ad for a book, it first has to go through a review and approval process we call moderation.
Moderation is a multistep process that every book advertisement on Amazon goes through. We consider your book content, book cover art, and the custom text or headline in your ads to ensure they fall within our retail and advertising guidelines.
This process helps make advertisements on Amazon safe, trustworthy, and high quality for our customers. And most importantly, it helps create a successful environment for book sales.
When review is complete, we will let you know if your ad was approved or rejected (usually within 24 hours, but this could take up to 3 business days). For more information and tips for approval, refer to the Complete Guide on Book Moderation.
How do I create a new campaign?If you have not register for an advertising account, see How to create ads.
If you already registered for an advertising account:
- Sign into the Ads console.
- Click Create campaign below the performance dashboard. If you have never launched a campaign, you will be taken directly to the ad type selection page.
- Choose the ad type you wish to use and follow campaign creation instructions.
I need more help with Amazon Ads, what resources are available to help me learn about advertising?You can find more help content in Support Center. You can also check the resources below:
- Register for Amazon Ads webinars. Understand advertising best practices and ask questions in a live Q&A.
- Enroll in the learning console. Access free courses for authors to learn how to set up and analyze your campaigns.
- Amazon Ads page for publishing. Discover even more resources and information for authors.
- Getting started guide for authors. Overview of ad solutions and how to get started.
- Beginners webinar for authors. Review the on-demand webinar for authors to get started with Sponsored Ads.
- Amazon Ads best practices for authors. Top tips for getting started as an author advertiser.
- Build your keyword strategy for books. How to establish the right keyword targeting for your books.
- Understand your reports. Learn more about your advertising reports and how to use them.
- Complete guide on ad moderation. Everything book advertisers need to know about our moderation process.
- Author case study. How author Bryan Cohen helps other writers increase their book sales with Amazon Ads.