Check eligibility requirementsYou can create ads for KDP books that are available on Amazon.com and meet these requirements:
Get your detail page readyCustomers who click your ad will be taken to your book's product detail page, and a strong detail page can help convert the click into a sale. Make sure your detail page has:
Create an AMS account
Choose an ad typeYou have two options for advertising your KDP books: Sponsored Products and Product Display Ads. You can create Sponsored Products ads for your eBooks and paperbacks. Only eBooks are supported for Product Display ads.
Not sure which type to choose? See this comparison chart.
Create your ad
Customize your adYou need to add customized text to your ad, which can help entice readers. Make sure the text is:
Preview your adYou can preview your ads during campaign setup. Previews show what ads looks like with custom text, but they may not exactly represent all the elements in live ads.
Your ad will contain your book cover image, book title, author name, current star rating (if you've received at least 15 reviews and they average 3.5 stars or higher) and, in some placements, the list price. With some placements, the ad will update the star rating and list price daily to correspond with your current Amazon.com detail page.
Submit your campaign for reviewWe review ads within 72 hours after submission to ensure they meet our requirements. Here are the three most common reasons we reject ads:
Prepare, Publish, Promote
- Getting Started
Prepare Your Book
Format Your Manuscript
eBook Manuscript Resources
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Bonus Content
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
- Submitting Your Paperback to KDP
- Formatting on a Mac
- eBook Manuscript Resources
- Create Your Cover
- Format Your Manuscript
Publish Your Book
Enter Book Details
- Enter eBook Details
- Enter Paperback Details
- eBook Metadata Guidelines
- Paperback Metadata Guidelines
- Supported Languages
- Publishing Public Domain Content
- Make Your Book More Discoverable with Keywords
- Selecting Browse Categories
- Enter Age and Grade Ranges
- Series Titles
- Upload Content
Set Rights and Pricing
- Enter Pricing Information
- Paperback Pricing
- eBook Distribution Rights
- Paperback Distribution Rights
- Expanded Distribution
- Enter Book Details
Promote Your Book
Kindle Merchandising Programs
- Lending for Kindle
- Buying and Gifting eBooks for Others
- Sample Chapters
- Kindle Countdown Deals
- Kindle Unlimited
- Kindle eBook Pre-order
- KDP Select
- Free Book Promotions
- Kindle Owners' Lending Library
- Kindle MatchBook
- Advertising for KDP Books
- Merchandising Tips
- Linking Your eBook and Paperback
- Customer Reviews
- Amazon Programs
- Kindle Merchandising Programs
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Kindle Create
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Textbook Creator
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- KDP University
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Update Your Book
Sales, Royalties, Taxes
- Sales Reports
- Getting Paid
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Advertising for KDP Books
Running ads for your KDP books can help you reach new customers. With Amazon Marketing Services (AMS), you can create custom ads for readers likely to be interested in books like yours. You set the budget you want to spend and the maximum amount you're willing to pay when a customer clicks your ad. You're only charged when your ad is clicked.
Getting started guide
Frequently asked questions
Have my ads converted to sales?
For ads to be credited with a sale on the AMS campaign dashboard, a customer must click an ad and buy the book within 14 days of clicking. Your KDP sales reports show only the final sales numbers and royalties you earned from books published in your KDP account.
How do I restart my ad after having a billing issue?
If your ad was stopped due to a billing issue, it will restart automatically once you update your credit card details. If your campaign is already past the end date you set and you've updated your credit card, you can submit a new ad.
I noticed my campaign was paused and that I have a billing error.
Ads can be paused if your bank declines your credit card. A charge can fail for a variety of reasons, many of which may not be related to the validity of the credit/debit card or available balance. A few steps you can take:
- Verify that the payment information for the ad is correct (expiration date, etc.).
- Make sure the billing address and phone number in your AMS account match those associated with your credit card.
- Contact your bank to ask about their restrictions regarding electronic or Internet purchases, or if the card has been updated recently.
- Update your payment method. Go to your AMS account and check the paused ad. You'll see an alert about the billing error, and you can change or update your payment details
How do I troubleshoot ad performance?
If your ads aren't performing the way you expected, there are a few things to check to make sure your ads have the best chance possible of succeeding:
- Campaign budget pacing. If "spread campaign evenly over its duration" is selected or if the system predicts that the budget will run out by the end of the campaign (based on the predicted amount of clicks and Cost-per-Click), the budget will be spread evenly, but performance may be sporadic. This means the ad may not show to everyone who's viewing relevant pages, because the campaign must continue serving ads until the last day.
- Relevance. The less relevant or related your book is to your targeting, the less likely it is your ad will perform. Make sure your targeting is relevant to your title, because once the auction market has enough competition, better-performing ads will push out less relevant ones. The more customers click on an ad, the more relevant it becomes.
- Targeting. Choosing too few keywords, products, or interests may limit the reach of the campaign to a smaller audience. You can add up to 1,000 keywords or products and as many interests as you want. We recommend targeting at least 100 keywords to get started.
- Duration. If you choose a duration that's too short, the campaign may not run to full potential. We recommend setting Sponsored Products campaigns to run for a minimum of two weeks and Product Display ad campaign for a minimum of four weeks. You can run your campaign with no end date and terminate or pause it at any time. Keep in mind that ads may still run for 24 hours after you have terminated or paused them and you may continue to accrue impressions, clicks, charges, and sales for 14 days). Remember to match your duration with a healthy budget. Too small of a budget may impact the ad campaign performance.
- Bids. If you set a Cost-per-Click bid lower than other live ads, your ad may not be shown. Consider increasing your bid to the maximum amount you are willing to pay when a customer clicks your ad. To get started, look for the suggested bid range in the campaign builder. You'll only be charged when a customer clicks your ad.
Can I edit my campaign while it's running?
As long as your ad is running, you can edit the budget, bids, and the duration (the end date for a running campaign can be edited to shorten or extend a campaign). To edit your campaign settings:
- Sign in to your AMS account with your KDP credentials.
- Choose the campaign you want to edit by clicking the name.
- Click the Campaign Settings tab and make your changes.
- Click Save.
Where on Amazon can I see my ad?
There's no guaranteed way to see where your ad displays. Ads are displayed based on the keywords, categories, or products targeted. With so many users and so many ads in the system at once, your ad could be displayed in multiple places. You can track your ad's performance by signing in to your AMS account. You'll see the number of impressions, clicks, and estimated total sales resulting from your ads. If impression data is increasing, then your ad is being seen.
How often is campaign data updated in my reports?
There are validation processes that affect the impression and click totals on your dashboard. Sponsored Products data is updated within 1 day, Product Display Ad data within 14 days. You can find the most accurate data in your downloadable campaign performance report. To download a report, click the download symbol. It's above the right side of the AMS campaign dashboard.
Where I can see my ad campaign data?
To see your ad campaign performance history, go to your AMS campaign dashboard. On your dashboard, you'll see your campaign name, ad type, start and end dates, impressions, clicks, Cost-per-Click (CPC) bid, budget, average CPC bid, the amount you've spent from your budget and estimated total sales.
How do I update my payment information?
- Go to your amazon.com account.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click the Accounts & Lists drop-down under your name.
- Choose Your Account.
- Choose Payment options.
- Click the credit card you would like to edit.
- Click Edit and update the information.
- Click Save.
I'm having issues with the website. Do you have troubleshooting tips?
Try these suggestions:
- Check ad blockers. Open your browser's settings and disable any ad blockers you may have installed.
- Reload the page. If the site is taking a long time to respond, or if a page is timing out, try reloading.
- Clear your cache. Clearing your cache deletes temporary copies of pages and makes room for new ones.
- Update your browser. Most websites work best with the most current version of your browser. You should be able to upgrade to the newest version of your browser by going to the website responsible for your browser.