Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
Advertising for KDP Books
- Getting started guide
- Frequently asked questions
- How much does it cost?
- What happened to Product Display ads?
- What's going to happen to my Product Display Ad campaigns that are already running?
- My dashboard looks different. How do I use it?
- How do I use the interactive performance dashboard?
- How do I access my Amazon Advertising dashboard from KDP?
- What are Lockscreen Ads? How do they work?
- Have my ads converted to sales?
- How do I restart my ad after having a billing issue?
- I noticed my campaign was paused and that I have a billing error.
- How do I troubleshoot ad performance?
- Can I edit my campaign while it's running?
- Where can I see my ad's status?
- How do I pause my ad?
- Why was my ad rejected?
- Where on Amazon can I see my ad?
- How often is campaign data updated in my reports?
Getting started guide
Check eligibility requirementsYou can create ads for books you published through KDP that are available on Amazon.com and meet these requirements:
Get your detail page readyCustomers who click your ad will be taken to your book's product detail page, and a strong detail page can help convert the click into a sale. Make sure your detail page has:
Create an Amazon Advertising account
Choose an ad typeYou have two options for advertising your KDP books: Sponsored Products and Lockscreen Ads. You can create Sponsored Products for your eBooks and paperbacks. Only eBooks are supported for Lockscreen Ads.
Not sure which type to choose? See this comparison chart.
Create your ad
Customize your adYou need to add customized text to your ad, which can help entice readers. Make sure the text is:
Preview your adYou can preview your ads during campaign setup. Previews show what ads looks like with custom text, but they may not exactly represent all the elements in live ads.
Your ad will contain your book cover image, book title, author name, current star rating (if you've received at least 15 reviews and they average 3.5 stars or higher) and, in some placements, the list price. With some placements, the ad will update the star rating and list price daily to correspond with your current Amazon.com detail page.
Submit your campaign for reviewWe review ads within 72 hours after submission to ensure they meet our requirements. Here are the three most common reasons we reject ads:
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost?
|Sponsored Products (eBook and paperback)||Lockscreen Ads (eBook only)|
What happened to Product Display Ads?To simplify our suite of advertising products for authors, we're retiring Product Display Ads on January 27, 2019. You can still access your Product Display Ad data from the Product Display Ads campaigns tab. You can use Sponsored Products and Lockscreen Ads to keep targeting by product and interest.
What's going to happen to my Product Display Ad campaigns that are already running?If your campaign was already live as of December 12, 2018, it will continue to run until Product Display Ads are retired on January 27, 2019. You can continue to edit your campaigns until this date. On January 27, any Product Display Ads still running will be archived. You may copy Product Display Ads that are currently running or in draft form to Lockscreen Ads or Sponsored Products. You can also copy archived campaigns. Go to the Product Display Ads campaigns tab to get started.
My dashboard looks different. What do I need to know?Video: Introducing campaign manager
There are three new features within the campaign manager:
- Flexible column selector. Choose from a list of preset columns to organize your campaign manager view with metrics that are important to you.
- Bulk edit functionality. Make changes to multiple campaigns at once to save time on budget, start date, end date, status, and bids adjustments.
- In-line editing. Make in-line edits within campaign manager to apply changes to start date, end date, budget, status, and bids.
Learn more about analyzing and refining your campaigns.
How do I use the interactive performance dashboard?Video: Interactive performance dashboard
How do I access my Amazon Advertising dashboard from KDP?Video: Accessing your campaign dashboard from KDP
What are Lockscreen Ads? How do they work?Lockscreen Ads are pay-per-click, interest-targeted display ads that appear on Kindle E-reader and Fire Tablet lockscreens and home screens. Lockscreen Ads reach customers on their devices, where they are reading and making eBook-purchasing decisions. Ads are targeted by genre interests.
Have my ads converted to sales?For ads to be credited with a sale on campaign manager, a customer must click an ad and buy the book within 14 days of clicking. Your KDP sales reports show only the final sales numbers and royalties you earned from books published in your KDP account.
How do I restart my ad after having a billing issue?If your ad was stopped due to a billing issue, it will restart automatically once you update your credit card details. If your campaign is already past the end date you set and you've updated your credit card, you can submit a new ad.
I noticed my campaign was paused and that I have a billing error.Ads can be paused if your bank declines your credit card. A charge can fail for a variety of reasons, many of which may not be related to the validity of the credit/debit card or available balance. A few steps you can take:
- Verify that the payment information for the ad is correct (expiration date, etc.).
- Make sure the billing address and phone number in your Amazon Advertising account match those associated with your credit card.
- Contact your bank to ask about their restrictions regarding electronic or Internet purchases, or if the card has been updated recently.
- Update your payment method. Go to your Amazon Advertising account and check the paused ad. You'll see an alert about the billing error, and you can change or update your payment details
How do I troubleshoot ad performance?If your ads aren't performing the way you expected, there are a few things to check to make sure your ads have the best chance possible of succeeding:
- Campaign budget pacing. If "spread campaign evenly over its duration" is selected or if the system predicts that the budget will run out by the end of the campaign (based on the predicted amount of clicks and cost-per-click), the budget will be spread evenly, but performance may be sporadic. This means the ad may not show to everyone who's viewing relevant pages, because the campaign must continue serving ads until the last day.
- Relevance. The less relevant or related your book is to your targeting, the less likely it is your ad will perform. Make sure your targeting is relevant to your title, because once the auction market has enough competition, better-performing ads will push out less relevant ones. The more customers click on an ad, the more relevant it becomes.
- Targeting. Choosing too few keywords, products, or interests may limit the reach of the campaign to a smaller audience. You can add up to 1,000 keywords or products and as many interests as you want. We recommend targeting at least 100 keywords to get started.
- Duration. If you choose a duration that's too short, the campaign may not run to full potential. We recommend setting Sponsored Products campaigns to run for a minimum of two weeks and Product Display ad campaign for a minimum of four weeks. You can run your campaign with no end date and terminate or pause it at any time. Keep in mind that ads may still run for 24 hours after you have terminated or paused them and you may continue to accrue impressions, clicks, charges, and sales for 14 days). Remember to match your duration with a healthy budget. Too small of a budget may impact the ad campaign performance.
- Bids. If you set a cost-per-click bid lower than other live ads, your ad may not be shown. Consider increasing your bid to the maximum amount you are willing to pay when a customer clicks your ad. To get started, look for the suggested bid range in the campaign builder. You'll only be charged when a customer clicks your ad.
Learn more about analyzing and refining your campaigns.
Can I edit my campaign while it's running?As long as your ad is running, you can edit the budget, bids, and the duration (the end date for a running campaign can be edited to shorten or extend a campaign). To edit your end date from campaign manager, you can edit the end date field by clicking on it. You can also select multiple campaigns and click Adjust end date to bulk edit. Finally, you can click the campaign then go to the Campaign settings tab to adjust the scheduled end date. Your new campaign settings will update immediately. However, ad data such as clicks, impressions, and sales may take up to 14 days to show in your reports.
Where can I see my ad's status?Sign in to your Amazon Advertising account. Hover over Advertising on the page header, click Campaign Manager, and go to the Campaigns tab.
How do I pause my ad?
- Go to the campaign manager.
- Find the campaign you want to end.
- Move the toggle in the Active column. This will change the status to Paused.
- Choose Terminate.
Why was my ad rejected?The three most common reasons ads are rejected:
- Grammatical errors
- Unsubstantiated claims
- Provocative images
Where on Amazon can I see my ad?There's no guaranteed way to see where your ad displays. Ads are displayed based on the keywords, categories, or products targeted. With so many users and so many ads in the system at once, your ad could be displayed in multiple places. You can track your ad's performance by signing in to your Amazon Advertising account. You'll see the number of impressions, clicks, and estimated total sales resulting from your ads. If impression data is increasing, then your ad is being seen.
How often is campaign data updated?The data in campaign manager is updated every hour, with data no older than 12 hours.
Where can I see my ad campaign data?To see how your Sponsored Products and Lockscreen aAds are performing, go to campaign manager. It can help you quickly analyze and refine your campaigns. You can choose from several metrics to display the relative performance of a campaign, keyword, or indicators like impressions, clicks, and sales. Learn more.
How do I update my payment information?
- Go to your amazon.com account.
- Sign in with your email and password.
- Click the Accounts & Lists drop-down under your name.
- Choose Your Account.
- Choose Payment options.
- Click the credit card you would like to edit.
- Click Edit and update the information.
- Click Save.
I'm having issues with the website. Do you have troubleshooting tips?Try these suggestions:
- Check ad blockers. Open your browser's settings and disable any ad blockers you may have installed.
- Reload the page. If the site is taking a long time to respond, or if a page is timing out, try reloading.
- Clear your cache. Clearing your cache deletes temporary copies of pages and makes room for new ones.
- Update your browser. Most websites work best with the most current version of your browser. You should be able to upgrade to the newest version of your browser by going to the website responsible for your browser.