Account & Taxes
- Set up your KDP account
- CreateSpace Account
- Year End Tax Forms
- What is my tax account status?
- Taking the Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a US ITIN
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
- Format Your eBook
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- Start publishing with KDP
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Release Date Options
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Low-Content Books
- Kindle Vella
- Start a Book Series
Orders & Book Copies
Proof and Author Copies
- How do I order a proof or author copy?
- How much do proof or author copies cost?
- What is the cost to ship my proof or author copy?
- When will my proof or author copy arrive?
- I’m getting an error ordering my author copy
- I’m getting an error ordering my proof copy
- My proof or author copy came damaged
- My proof or author copy didn’t arrive on time
- My proof or author copy has printing errors
- Proof and Author Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
Payments & Reports
- KDP Reports
- Old Sales Reports
- KDP Payments
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Topic 10 - Upload Your Book Content
WHAT THIS TOPIC COVERSAfter reading this topic, you'll be able to:
- Upload your formatted interior file to KDP
- Decide if you want to enable Digital Rights Management (DRM) for your eBook
- Choose print options (e.g., trim size, paper, and cover finish) for your paperback or hardcover
- Enter an International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- Preview your book before publishing it
YOUR PROGRESSYou've completed Milestones 1 and 2. You're about to finish Milestone 3, which covers formatting your book and uploading it to KDP. Next, you'll set rights and pricing (Milestone 4).
HOW TO UPLOAD YOUR BOOK CONTENT TO KDP
Upload your manuscript fileIn your KDP account, you'll upload the file you saved after formatting your manuscript. If you're publishing an eBook, this is the .kpf file you saved after formatting in Kindle Create. If you're publishing a paperback or hardcover, this is the .doc(x) file you saved after formatting with Kindle Create Add-in for Microsoft Word.
Digital Rights ManagementIf you’re publishing an eBook, you'll decide if you want to enable Digital Rights Management (DRM). DRM is intended to inhibit unauthorized access to or copying of digital content files. Some authors want the protection that DRM offers; others want readers to share their work so they can reach a wider audience and choose not to enable DRM.
TIP: DRM is a one-time option. It can't be changed after you publish.
Print optionsIf you're publishing a paperback or hardcover, you'll need to decide which physical properties (ink, paper, trim size, and cover finish) you want it to have.
TIP: The print options you choose can't be changed after you publish. If you want to change them, you'll have to republish your book as a new edition.
International Standard Book NumberIf you're publishing an eBook, you can enter an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) if you have one, but it's not required. If you're publishing a paperback or hardcover, you have to enter an ISBN with the exception of low-content books.
You'll decide between different ISBN options. It's important to some authors to provide their own ISBN because it allows them to choose their book's imprint of record. An imprint is a trade name that a publishing company uses to publish a work. If you use your own ISBN to publish your paperback or hardcover, you'll be prompted to enter the imprint name as well. The imprint you enter must match either the imprint or publisher name that appears in Bowker (the U.S. ISBN agency).
TIP: The ISBN option selected can't be changed after you publish. If you want to change it, you'll have to republish your book as a new edition.
Preview and save your fileYou'll be able to preview your book, including your manuscript and cover, before you publish to ensure it looks as intended.
When you're satisfied with your book, you'll save your file as a Word document and upload it to KDP later. After you upload your book, it will go through our content and quality review. If it doesn't pass our review, you'll need to edit your file and resubmit it.
TIP: Two of the most common formatting issues are conversion errors and illegible text. Watch the videos linked below to learn more.
|You're getting closer to publishing your book. It's time to start thinking about what you want to do when your book is ready to release. For a handy checklist, read this article.
WHAT TO DO NEXT
- Download or print the KDP Jumpstart companion guide. It provides detailed, step-by-step instructions on uploading your book content to KDP.
- Go to your Bookshelf and follow the instructions in the companion guide.
- When you're finished uploading your book content, save it.
- Next, you'll start Milestone 4, which explains rights and pricing. If you're publishing an eBook go to Topic 11. For paperbacks, go to Topic 12.