Prepare, Publish, Promote
- Getting Started
Prepare Your Book
Format Your Manuscript
eBook Manuscript Resources
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
Paperback Submission Overview
- Paperback Interior Design
- Paperback Manuscript Templates
- Build Your Book - Format a Paperback Manuscript (Word for Windows)
- Build Your Book - Format a Paperback Manuscript (Word for Mac)
- Build Your Book – Format a Paperback Manuscript (Pages for Mac)
- Format Images in Your Paperback
- Paperback Fonts
- Create a Paperback PDF File
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Formatting on a Mac
- eBook Manuscript Resources
- Create Your Cover
- Format Your Manuscript
Publish Your Book
Enter Book Details
- Enter Book Details
- eBook Metadata Guidelines
- Paperback Metadata Guidelines
- Supported HTML for Book Description
- Supported Languages
- Publishing Public Domain Content
- Make Your Book More Discoverable with Keywords
- Browse Categories
- Enter Age and Grade Ranges
- Series Collection
- Upload Content
Set Rights and Pricing
- Enter Pricing Information
- Paperback Pricing
- eBook Distribution Rights
- Paperback Distribution Rights
- Expanded Distribution
- Enter Book Details
Promote Your Book
- Amazon Literary Contests
Kindle Merchandising Programs
- Author Central
- Lending for Kindle
- Buying and Gifting eBooks for Others
- Sample Chapters
- Kindle Countdown Deals
- Kindle Unlimited
- Kindle eBook Pre-Order
- KDP Select
- KDP Select How To
- Free Book Promotions
- Kindle Owners' Lending Library
- Advertising for KDP Books
- Merchandising Tips
- Customer Reviews
- Amazon Programs
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Issues Dashboard
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Manage Your Books
Sales, Royalties, Taxes
- Sales Reports
- Getting Paid
- Tax Information
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Topic 10 - Upload Your Book Content
WHAT THIS TOPIC COVERSAfter reading this topic, you'll be able to:
- Upload your formatted interior file to KDP
- Decide if you want to enable Digital Rights Management (DRM) for your eBook
- Choose print options (e.g., trim size, paper, and cover finish) for your paperback
- Enter an International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- Preview your book before publishing it
YOUR PROGRESSYou've completed Milestones 1 and 2. You're about to finish Milestone 3, which covers formatting your book and uploading it to KDP. Next, you'll set rights and pricing (Milestone 4).
HOW TO UPLOAD YOUR BOOK CONTENT TO KDP
Upload your manuscript fileIn your KDP account, you'll upload the file you saved after formatting your manuscript. If you're publishing an eBook, this is the .kpf file you saved after formatting in Kindle Create. If you're publishing a paperback, this is the .doc(x) file you saved after formatting with Kindle Create Add-in for Microsoft Word.
Digital Rights ManagementIf you’re publishing an eBook, you'll decide if you want to enable Digital Rights Management (DRM). DRM is intended to inhibit unauthorized access to or copying of digital content files. Some authors want the protection that DRM offers; others want readers to share their work so they can reach a wider audience and choose not to enable DRM.
TIP: DRM is a one-time option. It can't be changed after you publish.
Print optionsIf you're publishing a paperback, you'll need to decide which physical properties (ink, paper, trim size, and cover finish) you want it to have.
TIP: The print options you choose can't be changed after you publish. If you want to change them, you'll have to republish your book as a new edition.
International Standard Book NumberIf you're publishing an eBook, you can enter an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) if you have one, but it's not required. If you're publishing a paperback, you have to enter an ISBN. You'll decide if you want to enter a free ISBN from KDP or provide your own. It's important to some authors to provide their own ISBN because it allows them to choose their book's imprint of record. An imprint is a trade name that a publishing company uses to publish a work. If you use your own ISBN to publish your paperback, you'll be prompted to enter the imprint name as well. The imprint you enter must match either the imprint or publisher name that appears in Bowker (the U.S. ISBN agency).
TIP: The ISBN you enter can't be changed after you publish. If you want to change it, you'll have to republish your book as a new edition.
Preview and save your fileYou'll be able to preview your book, including your manuscript and cover, before you publish to ensure it looks as intended.
When you're satisfied with your book, you'll save your file as a Word document and upload it to KDP later. After you upload your book, it will go through our content and quality review. If it doesn't pass our review, you'll need to edit your file and resubmit it.
TIP: Two of the most common formatting issues are conversion errors and illegible text. Watch the videos linked below to learn more.
|You're getting closer to publishing your book. It's time to start thinking about what you want to do when your book is ready to release. For a handy checklist, read this article.|
WHAT TO DO NEXT
- Download or print the KDP Jumpstart companion guide. It provides detailed, step-by-step instructions on uploading your book content to KDP.
- Go to your Bookshelf and follow the instructions in the companion guide.
- When you're finished uploading your book content, save it.
- Next, you'll start Milestone 4, which explains rights and pricing. If you're publishing an eBook go to Topic 11. For paperbacks, go to Topic 12.
KDP Jumpstart Home