Account & Taxes
- Set up your KDP account
- CreateSpace Account
- Year End Tax Forms
- What is my tax account status?
- Taking the Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a US ITIN
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
- Format Your eBook
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- Start publishing with KDP
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Release Date Options
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Low-Content Books
- Kindle Vella
- Start a Book Series
Orders & Book Copies
Proof and Author Copies
- How do I order a proof or author copy?
- How much do proof or author copies cost?
- What is the cost to ship my proof or author copy?
- When will my proof or author copy arrive?
- I’m getting an error ordering my author copy
- I’m getting an error ordering my proof copy
- My proof or author copy came damaged
- My proof or author copy didn’t arrive on time
- My proof or author copy has printing errors
- Proof and Author Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
Payments & Reports
- KDP Reports
- Old Sales Reports
- KDP Payments
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Release Date Options
You can choose from different release date options to publish your book: release now, schedule a release (print books only) and pre-order (eBooks only).
Main differences between release date options
See below how release now works.
Main differences between release date options
|Release Now||Schedule a Release||Pre-order|
|How it works?||You'll be able to release your book now, and it will be available for purchase immediately after our review is complete. Learn more about our publishing timelines.||You'll be able to choose a release date and your book will be available for customers to purchase on the selected date. The Amazon detail page will not be available until the book release date.
You can schedule a release up to 5 to 90 days in advance.
|You'll be able to choose a release date for your book, an Amazon detail page will be available immediately after our review is complete, and customers will be able to start pre-ordering your book.
You can create a pre-order up to one year in advance.
|Supported formats||eBooks and print books||Print books||eBooks|
|Deadlines||There are no deadlines to submit your book manuscript or make changes to it.||You will not be able to update your manuscript file or book details, change a scheduled release, or order author copies beginning five days before the release date.
After you schedule your book's release, you'll see a timer on top of your book's setup pages that keeps track of your deadline.
|You will not be able to update your manuscript file or book details beginning 72 hours before the release date.
After you set up a pre-order, you'll see a timer on top of your book's setup pages that keeps track of your deadline.
|Penalties||There are no penalties.||There are no penalties.||If you don't upload your manuscript file on time, your pre-order will be canceled and you won't be able to set up a pre-order for any book for one year. The same applies if you cancel the release of your pre-order book, or if you delay your pre-order more than one time.|