Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
Kindle eBook Pre-order
How it worksYou can make your new eBooks available for pre-order in Kindle Stores worldwide (except Amazon.in, where pre-orders aren't currently available). Setting a pre-order allows customers to order your eBook as early as 90 days before its release date. When you make your eBook available for pre-order, customers can order it anytime leading up to the release date you set, and it will be delivered to them on that date.
You'll list your eBook as you would any other KDP eBook. When you're setting up a new eBook, you can choose to make it available for pre-order and set a date in the future. Though your eBook isn't available for download yet, we'll still publish a detail page for it. Customers can order the eBook anytime leading up to the release date you set, and it will be delivered to them on that date. However, customers won't be able to download sample content for pre-order eBooks during the pre-order period. After the release date, we'll make sample content available for download.
After you list a book for pre-order, you'll see a timer on the page that keeps track of the upcoming deadline for submitting the book.
Eligibility and requirements
- Eligibility. Only new KDP eBooks are eligible for pre-order. We don't currently offer pre-orders for paperbacks. Public domain eBooks aren't eligible for pre-order. You may list up to 10 titles at once for pre-order, with room for more pre-order listings as you release each eBook.
- Deadlines. Make sure to submit your final version of your book in time. To keep track of the deadlines, use the timer at the top of the book's title setup pages (details, content, pricing). The timer shows the days, hours, and minutes remaining before your eBook is due.
- Manuscript size. When you list an eBook for pre-order, you need to upload your eBook manuscript file. If your manuscript still needs revisions and the file size increases, you may be required to increase your list price so it meets our requirements.
- List price. You can set the list price for your pre-order book based on our list price requirements. You can change your list price during the pre-order period, but if you lower it, we'll retroactively charge that lower price to customers who already pre-ordered your book. If you raise the price during pre-order, all prior customers will pay the lower price. Your royalty will be based on the actual price we charge customers.
- KDP Select. You can enroll your pre-order book in KDP Select, and the KDP Select term will begin on the book's release date. Free promotions and Kindle Countdown Deals can be scheduled only after the book release.
- Review process. Before we create the pre-order detail page, we review your eBook to ensure it meets our content guidelines. It goes through the same review as all other KDP eBooks. Also, if a pre-order eBook doesn't meet the content guidelines, you won't be able to republish the same eBook. Instead, you must submit it with content that meets our guidelines as a new ASIN. Learn more about pre-order review timelines.
Reporting and royaltyYour pre-order report is updated as orders are placed. This report includes pre-ordered units, pre-order cancellations, and net pre-order units. Your pre-order sales data will not appear in other reports until after your eBook is delivered to customers on its release date. After that, you'll see pre-order units listed in the Prior Months' Royalties report, under the "Pre-order" transaction type. Once your eBook is released and customers start downloading their copies, you'll receive credit for final sales.
Learn more about pre-order payment timelines.
How to list your eBook for pre-order
Set up your eBookTo get started with your pre-order:
- Go to your Bookshelf
- In the "Create a New Title" section, click + Kindle eBook
- On the "Kindle eBook Details" page, enter your information
- At the end of the page, in the "Pre-order" section, click Make my Kindle eBook available for pre-order
- Enter your book's release date
- Click Save and continue. This will take you to the "Kindle eBook Content" page.
- In the "Manuscript" section, upload your file. Consider waiting to upload a nearly-finished version of your manuscript in order to make your eBook details as clear as possible for prospective customers.
- Finish setting up your book
Note: If you're creating an illustrated children's eBook, they're typically in a fixed-layout format. Children's eBooks created using Kindle Kids' Book Creator will work on all Fire tablets, Fire phone, Kindle for iPad, Kindle for iPhone, and Kindle Android apps. When you upload a final fixed-layout file, you may notice new content on your product detail page that explains this to customers. This is expected.
Upload your final manuscript fileWhen you're ready to upload your final manuscript file and publish the final version of your eBook:
- Go to your Bookshelf
- Click on the ellipsis button ("...") under the Kindle eBook Actions menu next to the eBook you want to update
- Choose Edit eBook content
- In the "Manuscript" section, upload your final file
- Once your eBook converts successfully, click Save and continue
- Remember to click Submit for pre-order
Delivering your eBook on schedule is required for you to retain access to pre-order. If you delay or cancel a pre-order eBook, you won't be able to list any eBook for pre-order for one year. For the most accurate deadlines for uploading the final version of your pre-order eBook, see the timer at the top of the title setup page.
Check statusTo see the current status of an eBook you've made available for pre-order:
- Go to your Bookshelf
- Click Continue setup. You'll see a timer across the top of the page informing you of the time remaining in which to make changes.
- Next to the eBook you want to check, you'll see your pre-order release date with one of the statuses below.
Learn more about pre-order review timelines.
|Status||What it means|
|Pre-order In Review||Your eBook has been submitted for pre-order and is currently in review. Review times vary and may take longer if publishing rights need to be verified.|
|Pre-order Publishing||Your eBook is being published to the Kindle Store. A confirmation email will be sent to you when your eBook goes live on the store.|
|Pre-order Live||Your pre-order eBook is live in the Kindle Store and available to order.|
|Pre-order - Cancelled||This pre-order has been cancelled and is unavailable for further editing. The cancellation could be due to your request.|
|Pre-order Live - Updates in Progress||You entered new information about this pre-order eBook, but it's not published yet. A previous version of your pre-order eBook is live in the Kindle Store and available for purchase.|
|Pre-order Live -Updates in Review||KDP is reviewing your recent changes. Review times vary and may take longer if publishing rights need to be verified. Your previous version is still live in the Kindle Store and available for purchase during review.|
|Pre-order Live - Updates Publishing||Your recent changes are being published to the Kindle Store. A confirmation email will be sent to you when your eBook goes live in the Kindle Store.|
|Pre-order Live - Ready for Release||Your pre-order eBook is now ready for release on the date you set. At this time you won't be able to change the eBook content or details as we prepare to deliver the content to customers worldwide. Once the eBook is released, you can publish updates.|
|Pre-order Blocked||Your title has been made unavailable for further editing either due to your request or due to a problem related to the eBook's content.|
Change a release dateTo change a release date:
- Go to your Bookshelf
- Click the ellipsis button ("...") under the Kindle eBook Actions menu next to the eBook you want to update
- Choose Edit eBook details
- In the "Pre-order" section, click Edit release date
- Enter the new date and click OK
- Scroll to the bottom and click Save and continue
- Click Submit for pre-order