English | Help | Sign in

Please rate your experience using this page




Thank you! We appreciate your feedback.

Click here to take our survey and give us detailed feedback. If you're having a problem and need assistance, please contact us.

Help Topics

Contact Us

Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?

Contact Us

Tax Interview

Tax Interview

U.S. tax regulations require Amazon to collect information about your tax status under U.S. law using our short online tax interview. This is because Amazon issues payments that can be regarded as income. We must receive and validate your tax identity information before you can update existing books or publish new books in the Kindle store.

Have questions about taxes? See our Help page to watch a recorded webinar about taxes.

Start the tax interview

Video: Filling out the KDP U.S. tax interview

  1. Go to your account page.
  2. Under "My Account," click Tax Information.
  3. Click Complete Tax Information. If you're updating your tax information, click View/Provide Tax Information.

Answer all questions and enter all information requested during the interview. You may retake the interview anytime your information or circumstances change. You can check the status of your tax information anytime under the "Tax Information" section of your KDP account. Validated tax information will show a status of "Completed."

If you had previously provided your tax information, the system will populate it under Tax Profile. You can rather Confirm or Update the information on file.

Tips for non-U.S. publishers

Completing the tax interview

Unless you change the default marketplaces during your title setup, you'll sell on the U.S. Amazon Marketplace. From those sales you are paid royalties. Royalties are considered taxable income in the U.S. U.S. tax regulations require Amazon to collect information about the tax status of content providers under U.S. law. The tax interview guides you through a step-by-step process and gathers all necessary information required to establish your tax identity and generate a Form W-8. The default withholding rate is 30%, but you may be eligible for a reduced rate if your country of tax residence has a tax treaty with the U.S. Check to see if your country has a treaty with the U.S.: United States Income Tax Treaties - A to Z. Still have questions? Please contact the IRS.

Tax Identification Number (TIN)

A Tax Identification Number or TIN is the number you use to identify yourself with taxing authorities. This could be:
  • Your country's Tax Identification Number
  • An Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
  • Employer Identification numbers (EIN) for businesses.

Most countries have a tax identification number. If you are unsure if your country has one, you can contact your local tax authority. If your country doesn't have any of the three types of TINs mentioned above, you can apply for a U.S. TIN on the IRS website. It can take up to seven weeks to complete this process once your application has been submitted.

For more information about how to apply for a U.S. TIN, visit: Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)

For more information, visit:

An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later.
Your session has expired

Please sign in to continue

Sign In