Account & Taxes
- Set up your KDP account
- CreateSpace Account
- Year End Tax Forms
- What is my tax account status?
- Taking the Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a US ITIN
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
- Format Your eBook
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- Start publishing with KDP
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Low-Content Books
- Kindle Vella
- Start a Book Series
Orders & Book Copies
Proof and Author Copies
- How do I order a proof or author copy?
- How much do proof or author copies cost?
- What is the cost to ship my proof or author copy?
- When will my proof or author copy arrive?
- I’m getting an error ordering my author copy
- I’m getting an error ordering my proof copy
- My proof or author copy came damaged
- My proof or author copy didn’t arrive on time
- My proof or author copy has printing errors
- Proof and Author Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
Payments & Reports
- KDP Reports
- Old Sales Reports
- KDP Payments
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
User Guides KDP Jumpstart Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover Topic 8 - Format Your Paperback Manuscript
Topic 8 - Format Your Paperback Manuscript
WHAT THIS TOPIC COVERSAfter reading this topic, you'll be able to:
- Choose a template for your paperback
- Customize the template
- Review your file and save it as a PDF that's ready to be uploaded to KDP.
YOUR PROGRESSYou've completed Milestones 1 and 2. Now you're working on Milestone 3, which covers book formatting. Later, you'll set rights and pricing (Milestone 4).
HOW TO FORMAT A PAPERBACK MANUSCRIPTThis topic is for authors with a finished manuscript who want to publish their book as a paperback. If you don't want to use the recommended templates, check our our other formatting resources.
Video: Work backwards to create a quality book
Choose a templateYou'll choose the template that best fits your manuscript's needs and trim size. You can choose between blank templates and templates with sample content (e.g., title page, table of contents, etc.)
Customize front matterYou'll insert your information into the title page, copyright, and table of contents pages.
Customize chapter pagesYou'll add or delete chapters and insert your information into the headers and chapter beginnings.
Add page numbers to table of contentsAfter you've finished customizing the rest of your book, you'll find the page numbers on which each chapter begins and add them to the table of contents page.
Review your fileBefore you upload your formatted file to KDP, make sure you've customized or removed all template text. Also make sure that the information in your file (e.g., book title, author name) exactly matches the book details you entered during title setup. Finally, for the best results, save your formatted manuscript as a PDF.
|Publishing your book in multiple formats (digital and print) can attract readers who want to consume your book in different ways. Some like holding physical books in their hands; others like the convenience of immediately downloading and reading. To learn more about the benefits of publishing in multiple formats, read this article.|
WHAT TO DO NEXT
- Download or print the KDP Jumpstart companion guide. It provides detailed, step-by-step instructions on using templates to format your manuscript.
- Follow follow the instructions in the companion guide to customize the template, review the formatted file, and save it as a PDF, which you'll upload to KDP later.
- Go to Topic 9 to learn how to design your cover.