Prepare, Publish, Promote
- Getting Started
Prepare Your Book
Format Your Manuscript
eBook Manuscript Resources
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
Paperback Submission Overview
- Paperback Interior Design
- Paperback Manuscript Templates
- Build Your Book - Format a Paperback Manuscript (Word for Windows)
- Build Your Book - Format a Paperback Manuscript (Word for Mac)
- Build Your Book – Format a Paperback Manuscript (Pages for Mac)
- Format Images in Your Paperback
- Paperback Fonts
- Create a Paperback PDF File
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Formatting on a Mac
- eBook Manuscript Resources
- Create Your Cover
- Format Your Manuscript
Publish Your Book
Enter Book Details
- Enter Book Details
- eBook Metadata Guidelines
- Paperback Metadata Guidelines
- Supported HTML for Book Description
- Supported Languages
- Publishing Public Domain Content
- Make Your Book More Discoverable with Keywords
- Browse Categories
- Enter Age and Grade Ranges
- Series Collection
- Upload Content
Set Rights and Pricing
- Enter Pricing Information
- Paperback Pricing
- eBook Distribution Rights
- Paperback Distribution Rights
- Expanded Distribution
- Enter Book Details
Promote Your Book
- Amazon Literary Contests
Kindle Merchandising Programs
- Author Central
- Lending for Kindle
- Buying and Gifting eBooks for Others
- Sample Chapters
- Kindle Countdown Deals
- Kindle Unlimited
- Kindle eBook Pre-Order
- KDP Select
- Free Book Promotions
- Kindle Owners' Lending Library
- Advertising for KDP Books
- Merchandising Tips
- Customer Reviews
- Amazon Programs
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Issues Dashboard
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Manage Your Books
Sales, Royalties, Taxes
- Sales Reports
- Getting Paid
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
If you make your eBook exclusive to the Kindle Store, which is a requirement during your book's enrollment in KDP Select, the book will also be included in Kindle Unlimited (KU) and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library (KOLL). You can earn a share of the KDP Select Global Fund based on how many pages KU or KOLL customers read of your book. Learn how payments are calculated.
Enrolling in KDP Select also grants you access to a new set of promotional tools. You can schedule a Kindle Countdown Deal (limited time promotional discounting for your book) for books available on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk or a Free Book Promotion (readers worldwide can get your book free for a limited time).
EligibilityAll authors and publishers, regardless of where they live, are eligible to enroll their eBooks in KDP Select. Books with rights to be sold in marketplaces where the Kindle Owners' Lending Library is available will automatically be included in the relevant libraries upon enrollment.
The only books ineligible for enrollment are those for which you do not have exclusive rights for the primary content of the book (i.e., this content is in the public domain). Other factors, including royalty option, price, genre, etc., do not impact a book's eligibility. If you have questions about your book's exclusion from KDP Select, please write to KDP Support by clicking Contact Us at the bottom of the page.
How to enrollTo enroll a new eBook, click Enroll in KDP Select while you're entering your book details. To enroll an eBook that's already published:
- Go to the Marketing.
- In the KDP Select section, click on Enroll an eBook.
- Select your book and click Continue.
- Click Enroll.
You can change your book details (royalty options, book descriptions, etc.) without affecting your enrollment in KDP Select. You can also unpublish KDP Select-enrolled titles at any time during the term and republish them on KDP later, but they must remain exclusive through the remainder of the title's current 90-day period of participation in KDP Select.
How much does it cost to enroll?It's free to enroll your eBook in KDP Select.
ExclusivityWhen you enroll an eBook in KDP Select, you're committing to making the digital format of that book available exclusively through KDP while it's enrolled in the program. You can continue to distribute your book in physical format or in any format other than digital.
All content enrolled in KDP Select must remain for sale through the Kindle Store only. If the digital version of your book appears to be available for pre-order, for sale, or for free elsewhere (such as on your website or blog, or a third party’s website), it is not eligible for KDP Select. Adding new content (such as bonus content, author's commentary section, etc.) to a book that's available elsewhere will not satisfy the exclusivity requirements. See the KDP Select Terms and Conditions for complete exclusivity requirements.
However, you may choose to make up to 10% of your book available on other sites as a sample, as well as continue to distribute your book in physical format (including print on demand books), or in any format other than digital. 10% is roughly the length of the Kindle Free reading sample.
You may also provide professional reviewers with a copy of your book via email for the purpose of editing, proofreading and helping with other quality improvements. See the KDP Select Terms and Conditions for more information. When you enroll a boxset in KDP Select, none of those books can be offered elsewhere.
Re-enrollmentIf we remove your book from KDP Select due to violation of the exclusivity requirements, you may re-enroll your book as soon as you ensure it is no longer available elsewhere in a digital format.
RenewalFor your convenience, every eBook enrolled in KDP Select will be automatically renewed unless you opt not to automatically renew. If you don't want to renew:
- Go to your Bookshelf.
- Under the KINDLE EBOOK ACTIONS menu next to your book, click the ellipsis button ("…").
- Choose KDP Select Info. Under the KDP Select header on the screen that appears, you'll see the start and end dates of your current enrollment period.
- Click Manage KDP Select Enrollment
- Uncheck the box next to Automatically renew this book's enrollment. Canceling automatic renewal does not affect the book's enrollment in KDP Select for the current term.
If your KDP Select enrollment gets renewed, we'll still pay you a share of the current month's fund based on how many pages KU or KOLL customers read of your book. In addition, for each new term, you will receive the ability to run Kindle Countdown Deals or five days of free promotion for your book. You will continue to earn 70% royalty for sales to customers in Brazil, Japan, India, and Mexico as long as the 70% list price requirements are also met. A promotion (Kindle Countdown Deals or Free Book Promotion) can be scheduled on the day enrollment is renewed. Note that any unused Kindle Countdown Deals option or free promotion days will not roll over.
See our Help page for details on renewal timelines.
CancellationOnce your book's term in KDP Select begins, you have three days to cancel. To do so, go to the book's "KDP Select Info" and click Manage KDP Select Enrollment. Then, uncheck "Keep this book enrolled in KDP Select." This option is available during the first 3 days of each 90-day period during which your book is enrolled. Once you begin using your free promotion days, the cancellation period will end.
If you decide not to have your eBook enrolled in the future, you may allow your KDP Select enrollment period to expire. Once your enrollment period expires, your eBook will no longer be enrolled in KDP Select.
- Go to your Bookshelf.
- Click the ellipsis button ("...") under the KINDLE EBOOK ACTIONS menu next to the book you want to remove from KDP Select.
- Choose KDP Select Info.
- Click Manage KDP Select Enrollment.
- On the screen that appears, uncheck the box next to Keep this book enrolled in KDP Select.
Within several hours after your KDP Select enrollment expires, your book will be removed from KU and KOLL. You'll earn a share of the monthly fund for any pages KU or KOLL customers read in your book after the expiration date. Any unused Kindle Countdown Deals or free promomtion days will go away. You'll begin to earn 35% royalty for sales to customers in Brazil, Japan, India, and Mexico. You can re-enroll your book in KDP Select after an enrollment term expires.
Abonnement KindleOn December 9, 2015, Kindle Unlimited changed slightly in France. Don't worry; these changes do not impact your royalties. It is now called "Abonnement Kindle."
According to the new system implemented following the recommendations of the book mediator, subscribers residing in France get reading credits when paying their subscription. These credits are "mutualized" among all subscribers residing in France, which allows all subscribers living in France to read a large number of ebooks included in their Kindle Subscription.
In the context of this new system, authors and publishers established in France have to set a price per reading unit (on KDP, per page read) for their ebook included in "Abonnement Kindle." You can enter this price in your KDP account.
These changes are the result of a request from the book mediator regarding the ebooks subscription services in France, and only concerns authors and publishers established in France. KDP authors and publishers not established in France don’t need to set a price per page for their ebooks included in our ebooks subscription programs.
The royalties of KDP authors and publishers based in France do not vary based on the price per page read set. KDP authors and publishers established in France are paid a share of the KDP Select Global Fund, as are all KDP authors and publishers.
To set a per-page price:
- Go to your Bookshelf.
- Click the ellipsis button ("...") under the KINDLE EBOOK ACTIONS menu next to each book enrolled in KDP Select.
- Select KDP Select Info.
- Enter your price information in the window that appears.