Account & Taxes
- Create a KDP Account
- Manage Your KDP Account
- Sign in to Your KDP Account
- CreateSpace Account
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
- Format Your Paperback
Format Your eBook
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
- Create an eBook Cover
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- What is KDP?
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Kindle Vella
- Create a Series
- Orders & Book Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- A+ Content
- Book Updates
- Payments & Reports
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Create an eBook Cover
|The cover image you upload will appear on your Amazon detail page. You can choose to upload your own cover image or you can use our free Cover Creator tool to design a cover for your Kindle eBook or paperback.
Note: Before you start creating your cover, make sure it complies with our Content Guidelines, and you have all rights necessary for the content of your cover image.
A guide to publishing on Amazon
Cover specificationsThe format and quality of your Kindle eBook cover image must meet the following specifications:
|Format||TIFF (.tif/.tiff) or JPEG (.jpeg/.jpg) format|
|Dimensions||Ideal dimensions for cover files are 2,560 pixels in height x 1,600 pixels in width. For best quality, particularly on high definition devices, your image should be 2500 pixels in height. |
Minimum dimensions of 1000 pixels in height and 625 pixels in width. Cover image should not exceed 10,000 pixels in height and in width.
Note: We apply additional compression to images when displaying them on the website. For the best results, upload your images with minimal compression.
|Image ratio||An ideal height/width ratio of at least 1.6:1, meaning: For every 1,000 pixels in width, the image should be 1,600 pixels in height.|
|DPI (dots per inch)||72 dpi|
|Size||Your cover image must be less than 50MB. |
Note: Try to avoid compressing your files. This can affect the quality of your cover when displayed on reading devices. For the best results, images should have a minimum resolution of 300 PPI (pixels per inch).
|Color profile||RGB (red, green, blue). |
Note: Make sure to save your image without color separation. This is usually a pre-press or color palette option. Use your image editing program or image analysis tool (some are available free online) to verify that your image file doesn't have color separation.
|Borders||Cover art with white or very light backgrounds can seem to disappear against the white background. Try adding a narrow (3-4 pixel) border in medium gray to define the boundaries of the cover.|
How to upload your cover
- Go to your Bookshelf
- Click the ellipsis button ("...") under the KINDLE EBOOK ACTIONS menu and select "Edit eBook Content"
- Select "Upload a cover you already have" under the "Kindle eBook Cover" header
- When you see a pop-up window appear, click Browse to find your cover image file on your computer and click Open
- If your image meets our specifications, you will see a "Processing" message
- Once your image completes the conversion process, the message "Cover uploaded successfully" will appear, along with the thumbnail for your cover image
- Scroll to the bottom of page and click Save and Continue
You'll be redirected to the Kindle eBook Pricing page. Click the button at the bottom of the page to publish your book changes. For information on timelines, including details on new publications and updates to published books, see our Help page.
Note: When you publish or re-publish your Kindle eBook, we'll automatically add your cover image to the inside. Do not include your cover image in your manuscript file.
Want help designing an eye-catching, professional-looking cover? Try our Cover Creator tool. To learn more about more about formatting and adding images to your eBook, see our Help page.
Product image placeholdersIf you don't have a product image, or choose not to upload one, we'll add a placeholder image to the Amazon detail page for your Kindle eBook. It will contain the title of your book and the first contributor name you entered. It can take up to one week to see the placeholder image on your detail page. Having a product image, even if it's only a placeholder, is a better customer experience than displaying a message that an image is not available. We encourage you to design and upload your own image to capture customer attention.
Cover questionsLearn the basics for troubleshooting your cover image, and find answers to common questions.
Why is Cover Creator showing a blank page?If you see a blank page when opening Cover Creator, you need to zoom out the page. You can do so by:
- Windows users: holding the CTRL and pressing the Minus sign (–) key in your keyboard to zoom out.
- Mac users: press these three keys together: Option, Command and Minus sign (-).
How do I update an old cover image showing in Facebook?Follow these steps if your cover image hasn’t updated on Facebook.
- Visit Facebook: https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug
- Enter the URL (which you want to share on Facebook) under 'Enter a URL, access token, or Open Graph Action ID'
- Click "Debug"
- Click "Fetch new scrape information"
- Re-share the link on Facebook
- If this doesn't work, click on the canonical URL on the same page, this would open a new debugger tab with Canonical URL as the input URL
- Click 'Fetch new scrape information'
- Try sharing now. It must display the updated information while sharing.