Account & Taxes
- Set up your KDP account
- CreateSpace Account
- Year End Tax Forms
- What is my tax account status?
- Taking the Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a US ITIN
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
- Format Your eBook
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- Start publishing with KDP
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Low-Content Books
- Kindle Vella
- Start a Book Series
Orders & Book Copies
Proof and Author Copies
- How do I order a proof or author copy?
- How much do proof or author copies cost?
- What is the cost to ship my proof or author copy?
- When will my proof or author copy arrive?
- I’m getting an error ordering my author copy
- I’m getting an error ordering my proof copy
- My proof or author copy came damaged
- My proof or author copy didn’t arrive on time
- My proof or author copy has printing errors
- Proof and Author Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
Payments & Reports
- KDP Reports
- Old Sales Reports
- KDP Payments
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
My proof or author copy has printing errors
Some issues you may notice with your printed book may fall within expected variance that can occur for environmental and mechanical reasons and aren’t considered defects:
Extra blank pages
Due to KDP's unique print-on-demand model, your book may have blank pages placed at the end. Blank pages result as part of printing. Blank pages are an expected variance, and copies containing blank pages aren’t eligible for refunds.
Extra gutter or interior margin (white space in middle of the book)
To accommodate the binding process, we add about .13" (3.3 mm) of white space to the inside margin (gutter, or book's bound edge) of full bleed color ink books.
The white space is an expected part of printing and may appear even if the margins are set correctly.
To learn how to set your margins, visit Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins.
Spine not centered
Wrong trim size
Shifting less than 0.125" (3.2mm)
Universally, in printing, there is an allowable amount of variance in shift and trim that could occur during production. Someone comparing more than one copy of a book may notice small differences between two copies. Our allowable variance is 0.125" (3.2mm).
Cover curling / book is wavy
Since we print books on demand, we store book paper in a very dry environment. When we ship books, our customers typically receive them within 24 hours of printing, which means they're seeing the books within the first 24 hours that the book has been exposed to normal humidity, and normal humidity can cause the book to appear wavy. This is a by-product of the dry paper storage, and not a sign of damage. Within a month your book will adjust to normal humidity and the waves in the paper will straighten out again.
Issues present in the manuscript file
If any issues with your printed copy are also present in the manuscript (e.g. typos, streaks, blurry images), they will not be considered manufacturing defects.
To fix common formatting issues, visit Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues.
Copy printed from a previous manuscript file
If you recently updated your book, and ordered a new copy, you may receive a copy from inventory that was printed prior to the changes.
While KDP is a print-on-demand model, when a copy is printed on demand and later canceled, that copy remains in inventory until sold.
You can check the printing date in the copy to confirm whether the copy was printed prior to the changes you submitted.
If your issue is outside variance (for example, shifting more than 0.125"), or your issue isn’t mentioned above, contact us and we’ll investigate further.
Important: When you contact us, include images of the issue using the attachment option in our contact us form. Images of the defects are required in order to request a refund, and including images in your first message will help us resolve your concern much more quickly.
We’ll also need the Product ID (the number under the barcode found on the last interior page):
Please also be sure to include any relevant details customer service might need, such as ASIN/ISBN of your book.