Account & Taxes
- Create a KDP Account
- Manage Your KDP Account
- Sign in to Your KDP Account
- CreateSpace Account
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
Format Your eBook
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
- Create an eBook Cover
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- What is KDP?
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Kindle Vella
- Create a Series
- Orders & Book Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
- Payments & Reports
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Print Pricing Page
Last Updated: September 14, 2021
This Pricing Page changed on the date listed above.
This Pricing Page changed on the date listed above.
|A. Available sales territories||This Royalty will apply to sales of your Print Book to customers in any territory.|
|B. Royalty rate||
60% for standard distribution; 40% for Expanded Distribution
Learn more about how to enroll your Print Book in Expanded Distribution.
Note: Expanded Distribution is not available for hardcover books.
|i. Royalty calculation||
The Royalty Rate times the Print Book's List Price, less Printing Costs.
For sales through standard distribution channels: (60% Royalty Rate x List Price) – Printing Costs = Royalty
For sales through Expanded Distribution channels: (40% Royalty Rate x List Price) – Printing Costs = Royalty
|C. Printing costs||
Printing costs vary depending on your Print Book's page count and the ink type (black ink or color ink) you choose. Trim size, bleed settings, and cover finish don't affect Printing Cost.
Printing cost also includes a per-book fixed cost and additional per-page costs, which vary depending on which Amazon marketplace (website) your book was ordered from. To see what the fixed costs and per page costs are for each marketplace where KDP Print Books are currently sold, please review Paperback Printing Cost and Hardcover Printing Cost.
Printing Costs are calculated by adding the applicable fixed cost from the page linked above to the product of your page count multiplied by the applicable per page cost:
Fixed Cost + (Page Count * Per Page Cost) = Printing Cost
|D. Matching competitor prices||
If we price-match your Print Book, we will calculate your Royalty in the same manner described in Section B(i) above.
By "price-match," we mean where we sell the Print Book in one or more of the Available Sales Territories at a price (net of taxes) that is below the List Price to match a third party's sales price for any physical edition of the Print Book in any territory.
Royalty and printing cost calculation: When calculating Printing Costs, we will round the cost to 2 decimal places for all currencies except JPY, which will be rounded to the whole number. We will also round to 2 decimal places, or to the whole number for JPY royalties, when calculating royalties.
2. Royalty calculation example
- US Dollar VAT-exclusive List Price = $9.99
- Your book is a 300-page black ink paperback sold on the US marketplace
- Your Royalty per sale to a customer from Amazon.com is:
(0.60 x $9.99) - $4.45 = $1.54
(Royalty Rate x List Price) – Printing Costs = Royalty
Applicable Printing Cost calculation: $0.85 (Fixed Cost) + (300 (Page Count) * $0.012 (Per Page Cost)) = $4.45 (Printing Cost)
3. When we pay youYou will be paid Royalties due on paperback and hardcover book sales every month (1) approximately 60 days following the end of the calendar month during which the sales were made through standard Amazon distribution channels and (2) approximately 90 days after the end of the calendar month during which the sales were made through Expanded Distribution channels.
4. Setting your list priceYou will provide us with a list price (excluding tax) for each printed book. This means VAT (Value Added Tax in Europe) and GST (Goods and Services Tax in Australia) should not be included in your list price. We will automatically add the applicable taxes to your list price at checkout. The List Price for the corresponding Digital and Print editions of your Book may be different, but must each comply with any pricing requirements applicable to them.
5. Other pricing termsi. Minimum and Maximum List Prices: To be accepted in the Program, Print Books must have List Prices within the range of the following minimum and maximum list prices:
- The minimum List Price for your Print Book must be equal to its Printing Cost / 60%. Find out more about Printing Costs by reading Section C above.
- The maximum List Price for your Print Book is 250 USD (Amazon.com), 350 CAD (Amazon.ca), 250 EUR (EU marketplaces), 350 AUD (Amazon.com.au), or 30,000 JPY (Amazon.co.jp).