English | Help | Sign in

Please rate your experience using this page




Thank you! We appreciate your feedback.

Click here to take our survey and give us detailed feedback. If you're having a problem and need assistance, please contact us.

Help Topics

Contact Us

Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?

Contact Us

Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)

You will only be eligible for an ITIN support letter from Amazon if you meet the following criteria:
  1. Your Tax Interview must be completed
  2. At least one US payment from KDP must be issued to you
Once you meet these criteria, please follow instructions below:
To request an ITIN letter, contact us. This letter may be used in your ITIN application, which you can submit to the IRS along with any other required documentation.
You may apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) by filing Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. The application may take up to 8 weeks to process and requires that you submit certain documents, such as an official ITIN letter along with your application.
Non-U.S. persons may be eligible for a zero or reduced rate of U.S. tax withholding if your income is effectively connected with a U.S. trade or business, or if your country of permanent residence (the country where you claim to be a resident for purposes of that country's income tax) has an income tax treaty with the U.S. and the correct documentation is provided. See the list of tax treaty countries and applicable rates.

These guidelines do not replace the form instructions, and you should only use them as a supplement to the IRS instructions. Please consult your tax adviser if you need further guidance.

General guidance

  • Do not complete Form W-7 if you have a SSN or you are eligible to get a SSN. To get Form SS-5 or to find out if you are eligible to get a SSN, go to the Social Security
  • Do not leave any sections blank. Enter "NA" (Not Applicable) on all sections of each line that do not apply to you. For example, on Line 4, you should input three separate entries.
  • Your application must include all of the following:
    • Your completed Form W-7.
    • Your original, valid tax return(s) must be attached to the application. There are exceptions to the requirement to include a U.S. tax return. Please see the IRS instructions for additional information on exceptions.
    • The original documents, or certified copies of these documents from the issuing agency, that support the information provided on the Form W-7. Please see the IRS instructions for additional information on certified copies.

Reason you are submitting Form W-7

You must check the box which indicates the reason you are completing Form W-7. For example, if you need an ITIN solely to claim a tax treaty benefit, Check Box a. "Nonresident alien required to get ITIN to claim tax treaty benefit." Please reference the IRS instructions for further guidance.

Boxes 1-6

Enter the name, address, and personal information of the individual.
  • Box 1: enter your legal name in English
  • Box 2: enter your mailing address in the following order, in English:
    • Room number
    • Building name
    • Street number
    • Street name
    • City
    • Prefecture
    • Postal code
    Note: This is the address the IRS will use to return your original documents and send written notification of your ITIN.
  • Box 3: enter the non-U.S. address where you permanently or normally reside, if different than Box 2, in English.
  • Box 4: enter your date of birth (month / day / year), country of birth, and city and state or province, if applicable.
  • Box 5: indicate male or female.
  • Box 6a: enter country or countries of citizenship. Enter the complete country name, do not abbreviate (e.g., Japan).
  • Box 6b: enter your national (non-U.S.) Tax identification number (if applicable).
  • Box 6c: enter your type of U.S. visa, number, and expiration data (if applicable).
  • Box 6d: enter the information regarding the Identification document submitted, e.g. Passport. For a passport, indicate:
    • For "Issued by", the agency that issued the document
    • For "No.", the number of the passport
    • For "Exp. Date", the date by month / day / year
    • For "date of entry into the United States", enter the date by month / day / year (if applicable)
  • Box 6e: "Have you previously received an ITIN or an Internal Revenue Service Number (IRSN)?". Enter if you have or have not (or do not know) previously received an ITIN or an IRSN. i). Complete Box 6f if you answered "yes" to Box 6e

Sign and date the form

  • Name and title (type or print clearly): enter the same name entered in Box 1.
  • Signature: print out the application first and sign it in writing (not electrically). Signature in your local language and script, e.g., Japanese, is acceptable.
  • Applicants telephone number: write your telephone number in this space, with the country code included. If your number is too long to fit in the space electronically, print out the application form and enter the telephone number in writing.
  • Date: enter the date of signature in writing in the following order, month, date and year.

International applicants

International applicants can apply for an ITIN by mail, in person at an IRS office, or through an acceptance agent.
  • Mail: mail Form W-7, your passport (or a certified copy), or other documents as required by an exception, to: Internal Revenue Service ITIN Operation P.O. Box 149342 Austin, TX 78714-9342
  • For courier or private delivery service (e.g., FedEx, UPS, DHL), use the following address: Internal Revenue Service ITIN Operation Mail Stop 6090-AUSC 3651 S. Interregional, Hwy Austin, TX 78741-0000
  • In-person at IRS office: see a list of IRS offices abroad that can accept W-7 applications in Frankfurt, London, and Paris.
  • Acceptance Agent: uou also can apply through an Acceptance Agent (AA) authorized by the IRS for a fee. An AA can help you complete and file Form W-7. To get a list of agents, visit Acceptance Agent Program or visit IRS and enter "acceptance agent program" in the search box at the top of the page.

After obtaining the ITIN, enter the ITIN on KDP's online Tax Interview Form and submit to Amazon. For more information on applying for an ITIN, you can go to the IRS website.

More information:
For Individuals: Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
For Corporations and Non-Individual Entities: Employer Identification Number (EIN)

An unexpected error occurred. Please try again later.
Your session has expired

Please sign in to continue

Sign In