Account & Taxes
- Create a KDP Account
- Manage Your KDP Account
- Sign in to Your KDP Account
- CreateSpace Account
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
- Format Your Paperback
Format Your eBook
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
- Create an eBook Cover
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- What is KDP?
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Kindle Vella
- Create a Series
- Orders & Book Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
- Payments & Reports
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Kindle Countdown Deals
Note: If you're located in a territory not supported to purchase from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk, you may not see your Kindle Countdown Deals promotion listed on your eBook's detail page as it's only available to customers who can purchase from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk.
Benefits of Kindle Countdown Deals
- They're time-based. Not only does this give you more control over how long your eBook is discounted, but the time remaining for the promotion is visible to customers to increase excitement for the price discount.
- Customers see the regular price. It's easy for customers to see the great deal they're getting, as the regular price is included on the eBook's detail page, right beside the promotional price.
- Royalty rate is retained at lower prices. You will earn royalties based on your regular royalty rate and the promotional price. As a result, if you are using the 70% royalty option, you'll earn 70% even if the price is below $2.99. (As per the KDP Pricing Page, regular delivery costs apply.)
- There's a dedicated website. Customers can discover active Kindle Countdown Deals.
- You can monitor performance in real time. Your KDP report will display sales and royalties at each price discount side-by-side with pre-promotion performance.
Eligibility requirementsYou can only add the promotion for listings on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. Titles enrolled in KDP Select on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk are eligible for Kindle Countdown Deals if their list prices fall within these limits:
- $2.99 - $24.99 (Amazon.com)
- £1.99 – £15.99 (Amazon.co.uk, including VAT)
- Title has been enrolled in KDP Select for at least 30 days.*
- Digital list price is unchanged for 30 days before or 14 days after your Kindle Countdown Deal runs.
- Minimum discount is $1.00 USD on Amazon.com (£1.00 on Amazon.co.uk).
- Maximum duration of a Kindle Countdown Deal is 7 days. The minimum duration is 1 hour.
- Duration you choose will run as a single promotion (you cannot split into multiple durations).
- Maximum number of price increments is 5.
- No free promotion has been run for title (during a KDP Select term, you can run either a free promotion or a Kindle Countdown Deal)
- Kindle Countdown Deals must be scheduled 24 hours before your desired start date, as far in advance as you want. For example, to begin a promotion on January 10, you can schedule it any time before January 8.
- Kindle Countdown Deals are limited to one per KDP Select term. The latest end time for your Kindle Countdown Deals promotion is 14 days before your KDP Select period ends. If you renew your eBook in KDP Select for another consecutive 90-day period, the latest end time for your Kindle Countdown Deal can fall on the last day of your current KDP Select period.
Note: If your book is enrolled in KDP Select, the digital format must be exclusive to Amazon during the entire enrollment period. When a book is determined not exclusive to Amazon, any scheduled Kindle Countdown Deal will be cancelled.
Add a Kindle Countdown Deal
To add your promotion:
- Go to the Marketing tab.
- In the Run a Price Promotion, select Kindle Countdown Deals.
- Click Create a Kindle Countdown Deal.
- Select your eBook and click Continue.
- Enter your selections for marketplace, date and time, number of price increments, and starting price. The default marketplace is set to Amazon.com. Click Continue.
- A table will appear. Edit it as needed, to make sure it's how you want the promotion to run (price increments and start times).
- Click Add Promotion.
Once you add your promotion, it will appear on your book details page on the "KDP Select Benefits" tab.
Change or cancel your promotionOnce a Kindle Countdown Deals (KCD) promotion is scheduled, it cannot be edited or stopped within 24 hours before it begins, nor during the time while it runs. It will finish according to the schedule you originally set for it. This is to ensure a positive experience for customers, especially those who notice the promotion has started, but have not made a purchase yet.
Also, to ensure the most compelling value for buying customers, we require that eBooks offered through Kindle Countdown Deal promotions stay at a stable price when a promotion is coming up or has recently ended. Therefore, your regular list price cannot be changed for 30 days before and 14 days after the promotion runs.
Confirm your promotion is running as expectedTo confirm your promotion details:
- Go to your Bookshelf
- Click on the ellipsis button (“…”) under the KINDLE EBOOK ACTIONS menu next to the eBook running the KCD.
- Choose Promote and advertise
The details for your Kindle Countdown Deal will display under "Run a Price Promotion."
Royalties and reportsYou will earn royalties based on the royalty rate you have selected and the promotional price, as described on the Pricing Page, net of refunds, bad debt, and any VAT, sales or other taxes charged to a customer or applied with respect to sales to a customer.
- 35% royalty plan. You will be paid 35% of the promotional list price. For example, if your eBook has a regular list price of $9.99, and a promotional list price of $8.99, you will earn 35% of $8.99, or $3.15.
- 70% royalty plan. You will be paid based on the 70% royalty plan, using the promotional list price to determine the amount. For example, if your eBook has a regular list price of $4.99, and one of your promotional list prices is $1.99, you will earn 70% * ($1.99 - $0.15 * file size), even if the price is below the 70% royalty minimum outlined on the Pricing Page.
To view a Kindle Countdown Deals report, go to the Reports section of your KDP dashboard, where you'll find the report type "Promotions." You'll be able to see sales performance and royalties earned at each stage of the promotion. Learn more.