- They're time-based. Not only does this give you more control over how long your book is discounted, but the time remaining for the promotion is visible to customers to increase excitement for the price discount.
- Customers see the regular price. It's easy for customers to see the great deal they're getting, as the regular price is included on the book's detail page, right beside the promotional price.
- Royalty rate is retained at lower prices. You will earn royalties based on your regular royalty rate and the promotional price. As a result, if you are using the 70% royalty option, you'll earn 70% even if the price is below $2.99. (As per the KDP Pricing Page, regular delivery costs apply.)
- There's a dedicated website. Customers can discover active Kindle Countdown Deals.
- You can monitor performance in real time. Your KDP report will display sales and royalties at each price discount side-by-side with pre-promotion performance.
Prepare, Publish, Promote
- Getting Started
Prepare Your Book
Format Your Manuscript
eBook Manuscript Resources
- Simplified eBook Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Bonus Content
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
- Submitting Your Paperback to KDP
- Formatting on a Mac
- eBook Manuscript Resources
- Create Your Cover
- Format Your Manuscript
Publish Your Book
Enter Book Details
- Enter eBook Details
- Enter Paperback Details
- eBook Metadata Guidelines
- Paperback Metadata Guidelines
- Supported Languages
- Publishing Public Domain Content
- Make Your Book More Discoverable with Keywords
- Selecting Browse Categories
- Enter Age and Grade Ranges
- Series Titles
- Upload Content
Set Rights and Pricing
- Enter Pricing Information
- Paperback Pricing
- eBook Distribution Rights
- Paperback Distribution Rights
- Enter Book Details
Promote Your Book
Kindle Merchandising Programs
- Lending for Kindle
- Buying and Gifting eBooks for Others
- Sample Chapters
- Kindle Countdown Deals
- Kindle Unlimited
- Kindle eBook Pre-order
- KDP Select
- Free Book Promotions
- Kindle Owners' Lending Library
- Kindle MatchBook
- Advertising for KDP Books
- Merchandising Tips
- Linking eBook and Paperback Editions
- Customer Reviews
- Amazon Programs
- Kindle Merchandising Programs
- Tools and Resources
- Update Your Book
Sales, Royalties, Taxes
- Sales Reports
- Getting Paid
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Kindle Countdown Deals
Note: If you're located in a territory not supported to purchase from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk, you may not see your Kindle Countdown Deals promotion listed on your book's detail page as it's only available to customers who can purchase from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk.
- Thursday @8:00 AM. Price Discounted to $1.99 for 24 hours
- Friday @8:00 AM. Promotional Price Increases to $2.99 for 24 hours
- Saturday @8:00 AM. Promotional Price Increases to $3.99 for 24 hours
- Sunday @8:00 AM. Price Returns to Original List Price of $4.99
- $2.99 - $24.99 (Amazon.com)
- £1.99 – £15.99 (Amazon.co.uk, including VAT)
- Title has been enrolled in KDP Select for at least 30 days.*
- Digital list price is unchanged for 30 days before or 14 days after your Kindle Countdown Deal runs.
- Minimum discount is $1.00 USD on Amazon.com (£1.00 on Amazon.co.uk).
- Maximum duration of a Kindle Countdown Deal is 7 days. The minimum duration is 1 hour.
- Duration you choose will run as a single promotion (not split into multiple durations).
- Maximum number of price increments is 5.
- No free promotion has been run for title (during a KDP Select term, you can run either a free promotion or a Kindle Countdown Deal)
- Kindle Countdown Deals must be scheduled 24 hours before your desired start date, as far in advance as you want. For example, to begin a promotion on January 10, you can schedule it any time before January 8.
- Kindle Countdown Deals are limited to one per KDP Select term. The latest end time for your Kindle Countdown Deals promotion is 14 days before your KDP Select period ends. If you renew your book in KDP Select for another consecutive 90-day period, the latest end time for your Kindle Countdown Deal can fall on the last day of your current KDP Select period.
Note: If your book is enrolled in KDP Select, the digital format must be exclusive to Amazon during the entire enrollment period. When a book is determined not exclusive to Amazon, any scheduled Kindle Countdown Deal will be cancelled.
To drive more traffic to your book:
- Inform your readers via email, your website, social media, etc.
- Ask friends, fellow authors, and bloggers to promote your Kindle Countdown Deal.
- Check out our merchandising tips.
Tip: Consider signing up with Amazon Associates to earn more money while promoting your book.
To add your promotion:
- Find the book you'd like to promote on your Bookshelf.
- Under the Kindle eBooks Actions menu, click Promote and Advertise.
- Under "Run a Price Promotion," select Kindle Countdown Deal.
- Click Create a new Kindle Countdown Deal for this book.
- Enter the marketplace, date and time, number of price increments, and starting price. The default marketplace is set to Amazon.com. If you want to run the promotion on Amazon.co.uk, select Amazon.co.uk from the drop-down menu.
- A table will appear that lists the price increments and start times. You can make changes in the table.
- When you're ready, click Add Promotion.
Once you add your promotion, it will appear on your book details page on the "KDP Select Benefits" tab.
Also, to ensure the most compelling value for buying customers, we require that books offered through Kindle Countdown Deal promotions stay at a stable price when a promotion is coming up or has recently ended. Therefore, your regular list price cannot be changed for 30 days before and 14 days after the promotion runs.
- 35% royalty plan. You will be paid 35% of the promotional list price. For example, if your book has a regular list price of $9.99, and a promotional list price of $8.99, you will earn 35% of $8.99, or $3.15.
- 70% royalty plan. You will be paid based on the 70% royalty plan, using the promotional list price to determine the amount. For example, if your book has a regular list price of $4.99, and one of your promotional list prices is $1.99, you will earn 70% * ($1.99 - $0.15 * file size), even if the price is below the 70% royalty minimum outlined on the Pricing Page.
To view a Kindle Countdown Deals report, go to the Reports section of your KDP dashboard, where you'll find the report type "Promotions." You'll be able to see sales performance and royalties earned at each stage of the promotion. Learn more.