Prepare, Publish, Promote
- Getting Started
Prepare Your Book
Format Your Manuscript
eBook Manuscript Resources
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
Paperback Submission Overview
- Paperback Interior Design
- Paperback Manuscript Templates
- Build Your Book - Format a Paperback Manuscript (Word for Windows)
- Build Your Book - Format a Paperback Manuscript (Word for Mac)
- Build Your Book – Format a Paperback Manuscript (Pages for Mac)
- Format Images in Your Paperback
- Paperback Fonts
- Create a Paperback PDF File
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Formatting on a Mac
- eBook Manuscript Resources
- Create Your Cover
- Format Your Manuscript
Publish Your Book
Enter Book Details
- Enter Book Details
- eBook Metadata Guidelines
- Paperback Metadata Guidelines
- Supported HTML for Book Description
- Supported Languages
- Publishing Public Domain Content
- Make Your Book More Discoverable with Keywords
- Browse Categories
- Enter Age and Grade Ranges
- Upload Content
Set Rights and Pricing
- Price Your Book
- Paperback Pricing
- eBook Distribution Rights
- Paperback Distribution Rights
- Expanded Distribution
- Enter Book Details
Promote Your Book
- Amazon Literary Contests
Kindle Merchandising Programs
- Author Central
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Lending for Kindle
- Buying and Gifting eBooks for Others
- Sample Chapters
- Kindle Countdown Deals
- Kindle Unlimited
- Kindle eBook Pre-Order
- KDP Select
- KDP Select How To
- Free Book Promotions
- Kindle Owners' Lending Library
- Advertising for KDP Books
- Merchandising Tips
- Customer Reviews
- Amazon Programs
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Issues Dashboard
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Manage Your Books
Sales, Royalties, Taxes
- Sales Reports
- Getting Paid
- Tax Information
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Applying for a U.S. EIN for Corporations and Non-Individual Entities
Obtain an EIN by filing IRS Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number . Complete this application over the telephone in one session either by calling +1 (267) 941-1099 or by fax in approximately 4 business days and by mail in approximately 4 weeks.
Instructions for Completing and Submitting Tax Forms
- Example Form SS-4, only meant to show a sample of a completed form
- How to Apply for an EIN (Official IRS Instructions in English)
- Instructions for form SS-4 (Official IRS Instructions in English)
The following guidelines do not replace the form instructions, and you should only use them as a supplement to the IRS instructions. Please consult your tax advisor if you require further guidance.
Box 1 - 6: Enter the name and address of the company.
- Box 1. Enter the legal name of the entity applying for the EIN, in English (required).
- Box 2. Enter the trade name of the business if different from the legal name (if applicable).
- Box 3. If the entity applying is a trust, estate or has designated a person to receive tax information, enter the name of the trustee, executor/administrator or the “care of” person. Enter the individual’s first name, middle initial, and last name.
- Box 4a. Enter your address in the following order, in English:
- Box 4b. Enter your address in the following order, in English:
Country (do not abbreviate the country name). Please reference the IRS instructions for additional information.
- Box 5. Enter the entity’s physical address only if different from its mailing address shown in lines 4a-b.
- Box 6. Enter the entity’s primary physical location. For example, if your business is located in Nippon, you may enter “Japan”.
Box 7a – 7b:
- Enter the full name of the entity’s responsible party, as defined in the IRS instructions. For example, the responsible party for a business that is a corporation would be the principal officer of the corporation.
- Enter the responsible party’s U.S. Social Security Number (SSN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), or Employer Identification Number (EIN), if applicable.
Box 8a. An LLC is an entity organized under the laws of a state or foreign country as a limited liability company and may be treated as a partnership, corporation or be disregarded as an entity separate from its owner. If this application is for an LLC, select “Yes”.
- If you select “Yes” to Box 8a, you must complete Box 8b and 8c.
Box 9a: Check the box that best describes the type of entity applying for an EIN. Please reference the IRS instructions for additional information.
Box 9b: If a corporation, enter the state or foreign country where the company is incorporated.
Box 10: Check the reason for applying. A selection is required and you cannot enter “N/A”. Only check one box. For example, if you are completing the form solely to obtain an EIN to claim a reduced rate of withholding under an income tax treaty, the appropriate box would be “Compliance with IRS withholding requirements.”
Box 11: If you are starting a new business, enter the starting date of the business. You may reference the IRS instructions for additional guidance.
Box 12: Enter the last month of your accounting year or tax year. You may reference the IRS instructions for additional guidance. For example, a calendar year would have December as the last month.
Box 13 - 15: If applicable, please complete any required information. You may reference the IRS instructions for additional guidance.
Box 16: Check the one box that best describes the principal activity of the applicant’s business. You must check a box. Please reference the IRS instructions for additional guidance.
Box 17: Use Box 17 to describe the applicant’s principal line of business in more detail. An etnry is required. You may reference the IRS instructions for additional guidance.
Box 18: Check the applicable box which indicates whether or not the applicant entity applying for an EIN was issued an EIN previously.
Sign and Date the form
- Name and title (type or print clearly): Enter the same name entered in Box 1.
- Signature: Print out the application first and sign it in writing (Not electrically). Signature in your local language and script, e.g. Japanese, is acceptable.
- Applicants Telephone Number Write your telephone number in this space, with the country code included. If your number is too long to fit in the space electronically, print out the application form and enter the telephone number in writing.
- Applicant's FAX number: Enter your FAX number in the same way you enter the telephone number above, if you decide to fax. If you enter your FAX number, your EIN will be sent to your FAX. If you do not enter your FAX number, your EIN will be sent to your address by mail. It will take a few weeks for it to be delivered to your address.
- Date: Enter the date of signature in writing in the following order, month, date and year.
International applicants located outside of the United States can apply for an EIN by telephone, fax, or mail.
- Telephone. Call the IRS Monday through Friday at +1 (267) 941-1099 (not a toll free number). This is the fastest method and will allow you to receive the EIN immediately.
- Fax. If you have no principal business or office in the United States, send the completed Form SS-4 to the IRS at +1 (304) 707-9471 and include your fax number on the application. You should receive a fax within four days listing your EIN.
- Mail. Applications processed by mail may take 4 weeks. If this is the best method for you, mail Form SS-4 to this address:
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN International Operation
Philadelphia, PA 19255
These guidelines do not replace the form instructions, and you should only use them as a supplement to the IRS instructions.
Please consult your tax adviser if you require further guidance.