Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
Paperback Submission Guidelines
- File submission limit
- File guidelines
- Cover specifications
- Interior specifications
File submission limitIn order to prevent delays in our quality review process, we may limit the number of books a user can submit for publishing at the same time, or within a specific timeframe.
- Bleed: If your book has images or elements that bleed to the edges of your pages, you must upload your manuscript as a PDF.
- No Bleed: If your book does not contain bleed, you can upload your manuscript as a PDF, DOC, DOCX, RTF, HTML, or TXT file. KDP will automatically convert these file types to PDF prior to publishing/printing.
CoverYou can create your book cover using KDP’s Cover Creator tool or submit your book cover in a PDF. (Cover Creator accepts JPG, PNG, and GIF file formats.)
- Embed all fonts and images in your native file prior to submission.
- Flatten transparent objects and layers in the native file before publishing.
- Submitted files should not contain crop marks, trim marks, bookmarks, comments, invisible objects, annotations, placeholder text, or metadata.
- All images (both cover and manuscript) should be at least 300 DPI.
- Optimize PDFs. Optimization is useful to reduce your file size, allowing for higher performance when transferring, uploading, viewing, and printing the files.
Common points of failure
- Not flattening transparent objects and/or layers in the native file
- Locked or encrypted files
- Files with crop marks, trim marks, bookmarks, comments, invisible objects, annotations, placeholder text, or metadata
- Missing pages
- Excessive blank pages
- Title missing on the front cover
- Barcode missing
- Incorrect pagination
- PDF creation logos or watermarks
Calculating cover sizeTo format your paperback cover, you’ll first need to calculate the spine measurements (black and white books, color books).
Insert the spine measurements, selected trim size width and height, and the 0.125" (3 mm) bleed requirement into the following equations to find your cover size:
- Cover Width = Bleed + Back Cover Width + Spine Width + Front Cover Width + Bleed
- Cover Height = Bleed + Trim Height + Bleed
- Covers should be one continuous image centered left to right on the spine.
- Flatten all layers in the native file.
- Bleed of 0.125" (3.2 mm) is required on all sides. Bleed at the bottom of the page cannot exceed 0.125" (3.2 mm).
- Any content you don’t intend to be trimmed off should be a minimum of 0.25" (6.4 mm) from the outside cover edge.
- Embed all fonts on the cover in the native program before publishing.
Spine measurements for black and white books
- White paper: page count x 0.002252" (0.0572 mm)
- Cream paper: page count x 0.0025" (0.0635 mm)
Spine measurements for color books
- Color paper: page count x 0.002347" (0.0596 mm)
Spine textWe only print spine text on books with more than 100 pages. Text on larger spines must be sized to fit the spine, with at least 0.0625" (1.6 mm) of space between the text and the edge of the spine. Every book varies slightly when bound. Allow for 0.0625" (1.6 mm) variance on either side of the fold lines for your cover
BarcodesYou can submit barcodes with or without an ISBN. Don’t put any images or text in the barcode area. Reserve the lower right-hand corner of your book’s back cover for barcodes.
If you use Cover Creator, or choose not to provide your own barcode, we'll automatically place a barcode on your back cover. We're not able to change the barcode location or remove it. If you upload your own cover and choose to provide your own barcode, it should meet the requirements listed below.
All barcodes must meet these requirements:
- Image quality:
- Vector images are preferred
- Rasterized images should be 300 PPI (pixels per inch)
- 100% black (not RGB/CMYK color or registration black)
- Suggested size is 2" x 1.25" (50.8 x 31.75 mm)
- Minimum size is 1.4" x .8" (35.56 x 203 mm)
- Positioned at least .25” (6.3 mm) from the spin and trim of the cover
- Solid white background
- Right-side up and square to the cover
- Image is not flattened into the main cover as a single image
ISBN barcodes must meet these requirements:
- Include a valid ISBN
- Not overlap with any text
- Price code should match list price (if included)
Page spreadsWe require single page files (as opposed to spreads or 2-up files).
No bleedSet the page size to your selected trim size (width by height).
Interior full bleed
- If you want your images to bleed to the edges of your pages, extend them 0.125" (3 mm) beyond the final trim size from the top, bottom, and outer edges of your manuscript.
- Format your PDF manuscript at 0.25" (6 mm) higher and 0.125" (3 mm) wider than your selected trim size in order to print the full bleed area.
- Minimum font size: 7 points
- All fonts in the interior files should be embedded in the native program before publishing.
Image resolution300 DPI or higher
- Order all page numbers sequentially, with even numbers on left pages and odd numbers on the right.
- You can use Roman numerals to indicate the beginning of the manuscript, and then continue with standard page numbering.
- You may continue page numbering from a previous book in a subsequent volume of a series as long as the series name and volume number are clearly labeled.
- We allow scanned content with sequential original page numbering clearly visible in the footer of the manuscript file.
Page countWe’ll calculate your page count based on your manuscript file, rounding up to an even number if necessary. The minimum page count is 24 pages, and the maximum page count depends on ink, paper, and trim size options (see the table below).
|Trim size options||Black Ink and White Paper||Black ink and cream paper||Color ink and white Paper|
|5" x 8" (12.7 x 20.32 cm)||828||776||828|
|5.06" x 7.81" (12.85 x 19.84 cm)||828||776||828|
|5.25" x 8" (13.34 x 20.32 cm)||828||776||828|
|5.5" x 8.5" (13.97 x 21.59 cm)||828||776||828|
|6" x 9" (15.24 x 22.86 cm)||828||776||828|
|6.14" x 9.21" (15.6 x 23.39 cm)||828||776||828|
|6.69" x 9.61" (16.99 x 24.41 cm)||828||776||828|
|7" x 10" x (17.78 x 25.4 cm)||828||776||828|
|7.44" x 9.69" (18.9 x 24.61 cm)||828||776||828|
|7.5" x 9.25" (19.05 x 23.5 cm)||828||776||828|
|8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.4 cm)||828||776||828|
|8.25" x 6" (20.96 x 15.24 cm)||800||750||800|
|8.25" x 8.25" (20.96 x 20.96 cm)||800||750||800|
|8.5" x 8.5" (21.59 x 21.59 cm)||590||550||590|
|8.5" x 11" (21.59 x 27.94 cm)||590||550||590|
|8.27" x 11.69" (21 x 29.7 cm)||780||730||Not available|
Margins and alignmentBased on your book’s page count, the minimum margin requirements are below:
|Page count||Inside (gutter) margins||Outside margins (no bleed)||Outside margins (with bleed)|
|24 to 150 pages||0.375" (9.6 mm)||at least 0.25" (6.4 mm)||at least 0.375" (9.4 mm)|
|151 to 300 pages||0.5" (12.7 mm)||at least 0.25" (6.4 mm)||at least 0.375" (9.4 mm)|
|301 to 500 pages||0.625" (15.9 mm)||at least 0.25" (6.4 mm)||at least 0.375" (9.4 mm)|
|501 to 700 pages||0.75" (19.1 mm)||at least 0.25" (6.4 mm)||at least 0.375" (9.4 mm)|
|701 to 828 pages||0.875" (22.3 mm)||at least 0.25" (6.4 mm)||at least 0.375" (9.4 mm)|