Account & Taxes
- Set up your KDP account
- CreateSpace Account
- Year End Tax Forms
- What is my tax account status?
- Taking the Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a US ITIN
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
- Format Your eBook
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- Start publishing with KDP
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Low-Content Books
- Kindle Vella
- Start a Book Series
Orders & Book Copies
Proof and Author Copies
- How do I order a proof or author copy?
- How much do proof or author copies cost?
- What is the cost to ship my proof or author copy?
- When will my proof or author copy arrive?
- I’m getting an error ordering my author copy
- I’m getting an error ordering my proof copy
- My proof or author copy came damaged
- My proof or author copy didn’t arrive on time
- My proof or author copy has printing errors
- Proof and Author Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
Payments & Reports
- KDP Reports
- Old Sales Reports
- KDP Payments
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Book Formatting Tools and Resources Kindle Create Help Overview Previewing and Publishing Your Kindle Create Book
Previewing and Publishing Your Kindle Create Book
Previewing your eBookAfter you've finished preparing your book and are ready to publish it, use the Previewer tool in Kindle Create to check the layout and formatting of your Kindle eBook. The Previewer shows you how your eBook will look on tablets, Kindle E-readers, and phones. To use Previewer, click the Preview button in Kindle Create.
In Previewer, you can change device type, text size, and font face. You can move through your eBook page-by-page, chapter-by-chapter, image-by-image. You can type a book location or drag the scroll bar to change the position dynamically. There is also a Table of Contents view that shows the Kindle Interactive TOC.
While previewing your eBook, use this checklist:
- Go to the table of contents (TOC) (where applicable).
- On the TOC page, confirm that each item is clickable and links to the correct location in the book. There should be no page numbers.
- In the Kindle Interactive TOC, confirm that each part, chapter, or section is clickable and links to the correct location in the book. There should be no page numbers.
- Go to any location in the book (reflowable eBooks only).
- Font size. Change the font size in the Kindle menu. The book font should change accordingly. All body text should not be bold or italicized.
- Typeface. Change the typeface in the Kindle menu. The book font should change accordingly.
- Go back to the first page and flip through every page of the book.
- Front matter. Make sure that the page breaks and formatting are correct.
- Chapter title pages. Make sure that chapter title pages are formatted consistently throughout the book.
- Images. Images should not be too small. Make sure that all text in images is legible. Large pictures should be scaled to fit the page and display in their entirety on one screen.
- Tables. Tables should appear correctly. Make sure that all text in tables is legible.
- Material only included with physical book. There should not be any references to material (such as a CD or DVD) that is only included with the physical book.
- Background settings (reflowable eBooks only). Confirm that your text is legible in all background color modes (white, black, mint, and sepia).
- Audio and video files (Print Replica only). Click each audio and video file and confirm that they work properly. Review the title and description in each pop-up for accuracy and usefulness.
- Magnification (comics only). Activate Guided View and confirm that all panels have corresponding magnification, no content is overflowing the edge of the screen, and magnified reading order is correct.
Previewing your print bookTo see how your print book looks, export it from Kindle Create and upload it to KDP. After selecting your trim size, you can view it in KDP Print previewer.
Uploading your book on KDPVideo: Saving and exporting with Kindle Create
When you're done previewing and updating your book, create a publishable file by clicking the Export button in Kindle Create. This creates two files: a work file (.kcb) that allows you to update your book later and a publishable file (.kpf) you can upload on KDP.
- Save your work file (.kcb) by selecting File > Save Project.
- Click the Export button. The Save File for Publication dialog box is displayed.
- Accept or change the file location and name and click Save.
- When packaging is complete, the confirmation box is displayed. Upload the .kpf file on KDP to publish it.
Adding your textbook to the Kindle storeIf your eBook is a textbook, you need to add this search keyword when you enter your book details in KDP during title setup so that your textbook will appear in the Textbook category:
You have to add the keyword exactly as it appears above, complete with underscores. If you don't, your book won't appear in the Textbook category in the Kindle Store.