Account & Taxes
- Create a KDP Account
- Manage Your KDP Account
- Sign in to Your KDP Account
- CreateSpace Account
- Tax Information
- Format Your Paperback
Format Your eBook
- eBook Manuscript Formatting Guide
- eBook File Formatting Tips
- Supported eBook Formats
- eBook Conversion Formats
- Create a Table of Contents
- Format Images in Your eBook
- Character Encoding
- Create Links to Footnotes
- Reduce Your eBook Manuscript File Size
- Create an eBook Cover
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- What is KDP?
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Create a Series
- Orders & Book Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Promotion
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- Advertising for KDP Books
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
- Payments & Reports
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Update Your Book Details
To update book details:
- Go to your Bookshelf.
- Click the ellipsis button ("…") under KINDLE EBOOK ACTIONS or PAPERBACK ACTIONS next to the book you want to update.
- Choose Edit eBook details or Edit paperback details. This will take you to the Details page.
- Edit your details.
- Click Save and Continue. This takes you to the Content page.
- Click Save and Continue. This takes you to the Pricing page.
- Click the publish button at the bottom of the page.
Note: Books on your bookshelf have a particular status assigned to them, which reflects where they are in the publishing cycle. Some of these statuses allow you to make changes to your book, and others don't. Learn more about your book status.
Details you can edit after publishingYou can change some book details after publishing. When updating book details that appear in your manuscript and on your cover, be sure to make the changes in your manuscript and cover too. Also, if you significantly change your book, it is considered a new edition and should be published as a new book. If you make minor changes, it's considered the same edition.
Note: If you use Author Central, changes to your main author name or description made through your KDP Bookshelf will update automatically on Author Central within 24 hours. However, if you make updates to your information in Author Central, you'll need to make updates in KDP. Also, your product detail pages will display the information stored in KDP any time you update or republish in KDP, so the information in your KDP account needs to be current.
Details you can't edit after publishingThere are certain book details you won't be able to change after publishing. Which details you can change also depends on whether you published an eBook or a paperback. Regardless of format, if you significantly change your book, it's considered a new edition and should be published as a new book.
eBookYou won't be able to change:
- Digital Rights Management (DRM)
- Publication date: The Kindle Store automatically enters the date you first published your book through KDP
- Title and/or Author name: If you make changes to your main title and/or author name after publication, your eBook will be considered as a new book, you will need to upload a new submission.
Note: Your publication date isn't the same as your release date. You can change your release date if you want to make new books available for pre-order in Kindle Stores worldwide. Setting up a pre-order allows customers to order your book as early as 90 days before release date. Learn more about setting up a pre-order.
PaperbackThe paperback attributes listed below will be locked after publication because of ISBN requirements. They can't be updated unless you unpublish and republish your paperback as a new book.
- Book title
- Edition number
- Primary author name
- Imprint name
- Publication date
- Ink and paper type
- Trim size
To improve the shopping and reading experience for customers, if you significantly change your paperback's title or author name when submitting it as a new book, you're required to include the following disclaimer at the top of the description field: "Previously published as [book title] by [author name]." Significant changes to both book title and author name aren't allowed.