Account & Taxes
- Create a KDP Account
- Manage Your KDP Account
- Sign in to Your KDP Account
- CreateSpace Account
- Year End Tax Forms
- What is my tax account status?
- Taking the Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a US ITIN
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
- Format Your eBook
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- What is KDP?
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Low-Content Books
- Kindle Vella
- Start a Book Series
Orders & Book Copies
Proof and Author Copies
- How do I order a proof or author copy?
- How much do proof or author copies cost?
- What is the cost to ship my proof or author copy?
- When will my proof or author copy arrive?
- I’m getting an error ordering my author copy
- I’m getting an error ordering my proof copy
- My proof or author copy came damaged
- My proof or author copy didn’t arrive on time
- My proof or author copy has printing errors
- Proof and Author Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
Payments & Reports
- KDP Reports
- Old Sales Reports
- KDP Payments
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Topic 12 - Paperback Rights & Pricing
WHAT THIS TOPIC COVERSAfter reading this topic, you'll know how:
- To select the territories for which you hold distribution rights
- Royalties and printing costs are calculated
- To set your list price
YOUR PROGRESSYou've completed Milestones 1, 2, and 3. Now you're working on Milestone 4. When you're done, you'll be ready to publish your book on KDP.
HOW TO SET PAPERBACK RIGHTS & PRICING
Select territoriesDuring title setup, you'll be asked to select the territories for which you hold distribution rights. You have two options:
TIP: For a KDP paperback to be available on one of our marketplaces in Europe (Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.es or Amazon.it), you must have rights in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain. If you don't have rights in any one of those territories, do not select "United Kingdom," "Germany," "France," "Italy," or "Spain" as a territory.
How paperback royalties are calculatedPaperback royalty rates are 60% of the list price displayed on Amazon at the time of purchase, minus printing costs, applicable taxes, and withholding:
No need to worry about calculating this yourself. When you enter your list price, our pricing grid will automatically calculate your estimated royalty.
Estimated royalty = 60% of list price - printing costs - applicable taxes or withholding
How printing cost is calculatedKDP prints your paperback on demand. That means we'll deduct the printing cost from your paperback royalty only when customers buy your book from Amazon or its partners. Printing cost depends on which Amazon website your paperback was ordered from, as well as page count and ink type.
Again, no need to worry about calculating this yourself. When you enter your list price, our pricing grid will automatically calculate the printing cost.
Printing cost = Fixed Cost + (Page Count * Per Page Cost)
Set your list priceYou have two options for setting your list price:
Look at paperbacks with content similar to yours on Amazon to find out typical list prices. As you research keep the following questions in mind:
|After publishing your paperback, you'll want to start thinking about how to promote it. How about a bookstore reading? A book tour? For other ideas on promoting your book, read this article.|
WHAT TO DO NEXT
- Download or print the KDP Jumpstart companion guide. The companion guide also includes instructions on updating your list price and removing your paperback from sale.
- Go to your Bookshelf and follow the instructions in the companion guide.
- When you’re finished, you'll save and publish your eBook. Congratulations on becoming a published author!