Account & Taxes
- Create a KDP Account
- Manage Your KDP Account
- Sign in to Your KDP Account
- CreateSpace Account
- Tax Information Requirements
- Tax Forms
- Tax Account Status
- Tax Interview
- Tax Withholding
- Applying for a U.S. TIN (Taxpayer ID Number)
- Tax ID Validation
- How Taxes Affect List Prices
Format Your Paperback
- Set Trim Size, Bleed, and Margins
- Format Front Matter, Body Matter, and Back Matter
- Save Your Manuscript File
- Paperback and Hardcover Manuscript Templates
- Cover Creator
- Create a Paperback Cover
- Format Images in Your Book
- Paperback Fonts
- Fix Paperback and Hardcover Formatting Issues
- Paperback Submission Guidelines
- Format Your Hardcover
- Format Your eBook
Tools and Resources
- KDP Tools and Resources
- Publishing Service Providers & Resources
- Kindle Create Help Overview
- Kindle Previewer
- Kindle Comic Creator
- Kindle Kids' Book Creator
- Quality Notifications Dashboard
- Guide to Kindle Content Quality
- Enhanced Typesetting
- X-Ray for Authors
- Format Your Paperback
- What is KDP?
Create a Book
- Book Detail Resources
- Upload Book Resources
- Pricing Resources
- Book Status
- Kindle Vella
- Create a Series
- Orders & Book Copies
- Amazon Store & Detail Page
Marketing & Distribution
- Ways to Promote Your Book
- KDP Select
- Author Central
- A+ Content
- Advertising for KDP books
- Expanded Distribution
- Merchandising Tips
- Nominate Your eBook for a Promotion (Beta)
- Book Updates
- Payments & Reports
Legal & Content Guidelines
- Kindle Direct Publishing Terms and Conditions
- Program Policies
Kindle Publishing Guidelines
- Getting Started
- General Best Practices
Guidelines for Specific Types of eBooks
- Creating Reflowable Books
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Text Pop-Ups
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books with Image Pop-Ups or Virtual Panels
- Creating Fixed-Layout Books Without Pop-Ups
- Creating Kindle Editions with Audio/Video Content
- Creating Dictionaries
- Milestone 1 - Getting Started
- Milestone 2 - Book Details
- Milestone 3 - Manuscript & Cover
- Milestone 4 - Rights & Pricing
- KDP University
- Kindle Publishing Guidelines
Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?Contact Us
Kindle Vella - Reader Experience
Kindle Vella is a way to share serialized stories with readers over an extended period – one episode at a time. Readers can:
- Find and view a story's detail page in the Kindle Vella store
- Read the first few episodes of every story for free
- Use new features, like Faves and Thumbs Up, to engage with stories
- Story detail pages
- Use Tokens to unlock episodes
- Reader engagement
- Kindle Vella store search results
Story detail pagesReaders can find your story in the Kindle Vella store on Amazon.com and in the Kindle app on iOS, Android, and Fire devices. Each story has a detail page that features your story's details where readers can start reading episodes.
Use Tokens to unlock episodesTo give readers a chance to check out a story, they can read the first three episodes of every story without redeeming Tokens.
Readers can purchase and redeem Tokens to unlock later episodes. We have several bundle options available for readers to purchase Tokens on the web and in the Kindle for iOS app. New Kindle Vella readers will also receive free Tokens to help them get started, and we may offer additional free Tokens to customers as we continue to promote Kindle Vella to readers. Learn more about Tokens and royalties.
EngagementWith Kindle Vella readers can interact with your story in new ways, including:
- Follow. Readers can follow stories they enjoy to be notified each time a new episode is released. Readers will get a push notification for each new episode. Readers are also notified by email when an author they follow starts a new Kindle Vella story.
- Faves and story crowns. Readers who purchase Tokens can crown a weekly Fave for the story they enjoyed most that week. We feature the most Faved stories in the Kindle Vella store. If your story is Top Faved by readers, it will appear with a crown above the story image in the Kindle Vella store and in the Top Faved list.
Note: The Top Faved list changes based on Fave activity from readers, so you may see your story move on and off the list.
- Thumbs up. At the end of each episode, readers can react by adding a Thumbs up to episodes they enjoyed reading.
Kindle Vella store search resultsYou can search for stories by entering a few words into the search box, and we'll show you matching results. In the Kindle Vella store, readers can search and browse by tags and categories.
How Amazon search results workWhen readers search for stories in the Kindle Vella store, our search methods go beyond simple keyword matching and may use information not visible on the search results page, including your story details and text. Search results are dynamic and it is expected for ASIN rankings to fluctuate.
Search results give a mix of the most popular products across various product categories. These are displayed based on:
- Length of time the item has been listed on our website.
- Popularity, and others.
As a result, you may sometimes see results you do not expect. Neither Amazon, nor KDP can guarantee that your story will display on the first page of search results.
Timeline for stories to appear in search resultsAfter your story is available for purchase, it takes up to 72 hours to set the search attributes.
To confirm your story is available for purchase:
- Go to your Kindle Vella Library.
- Scroll to the story you want to view.
- Click the ASIN to go to the detail page.
You can copy and share this link to promote your story.
Mature content in search resultsIf you're searching the Kindle Vella store and you are not seeing your story in search results, your story might be categorized as mature content.
Stories with mature content will not surface in general searches as they could include content of a sexual or explicit nature, which is not appropriate for all readers. These stories will surface in general searches for customers who choose to allow mature content.