Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
You have two options for advertising your KDP books: Sponsored Products and Lockscreen Ads. You can create Sponsored Products for your eBooks and paperbacks. Only eBooks are supported for Lockscreen Ads.
- Sponsored Products (eBook and paperback) promote individual titles to readers as they search for books. Sponsored Products are targeted by keywords or products. They appear within search results and on product detail pages across desktop and mobile. With a simple campaign creation process, Sponsored Products is the recommended way to get started advertising. You can run ads on Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.es, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it, and Amazon.com.au if you have a title eligible in those marketplaces.
- Sponsored Brands ads feature your profile picture and 3 of your books. These ads appear in multiple locations on desktop and mobile pages, including above search results.
- Lockscreen Ads (eBook only) are pay-per-click, interest-targeted display ads that appear on Kindle E-reader and Fire tablet lockscreens and Kindle E-reader home screens. Lockscreen Ads reach customers on their devices, where they are reading and making purchasing decisions. Ads are targeted by genre interests. Lockscreen Ads campaigns are available for campaigns on Amazon.com only.
Sponsored Products is a cost-per-click advertising solution that enables you to promote the products you sell with ads that may appear in highly visible placements on Amazon.
Available multi-language captions are best viewed in the Google Chrome browser.
You select your products to advertise and choose keywords or product attributes to target, or let Amazon's systems target relevant keywords automatically. You control how much you want to spend on your bids and budgets and can measure your ads' performance.
The ads serve both on desktop and mobile browsers as well as on the Amazon mobile app. When customers click your ad, they're taken to the advertised product’s detail page.
Amazon will only display your product ads when your product is the featured offer at the time the customer views the ad.
Learn how to grow your business with Sponsored Products
With Sponsored Products your ad is eligible to display in various placements across Amazon.
To participate in Sponsored Products, you must meet certain eligibility requirements. For more information, see advertising eligibility requirements.
To create a campaign for Sponsored Products:
- Go to Campaigns, click Create campaign, and select Sponsored Products.
Enter information in the Settings section.
- Campaign name: The campaign name you choose will be seen only by you in the campaign manager. It won't appear in your ads and will never be visible to shoppers. It's helpful to name your campaign based on the type of products you'll be advertising, or seasonal products you'll promote.
- Portfolio: Portfolios are a group of campaigns that you organize in a way to meet your advertising needs.
- Daily budget: The daily budget is the average amount you're willing to spend on a campaign in one day. It's spread out over one month, and applied across all the days in that month.
- Start/End Date: Select a start and end date that works for you. You can start your campaign immediately, or set a start date in the future, and then run your campaign continuously (no end date). You can pause a campaign at any time and start it up again later. When a campaign reaches its end date, the status will change to ended. You can extend a campaign by changing the end date to a date in the future. You can also archive campaigns that you no longer want to run. Archived campaigns can’t be reinstated, so to make changes, you would need to create a new one.
- Keyword and product targeting: With keyword and product targeting, your ads show on shopping and detail pages to relevant shoppers. For Sponsored Products campaigns, you can create two types of targeting: automatic and manual.
Select your Ad format.
- Standard: Launch a campaign quickly without custom copy.
Custom: Include your own copy to provide customers with context for your book. The language of the ad must match the language of the Amazon site you're advertising on. Make sure the text is relevant to your book, spelled correctly, and free of grammatical errors. You can advertise multiple formats of a title in the same campaign.Note: Custom text is available for campaigns on Amazon.com only.
- Create an ad group by entering a title in the Create an ad group section. Ad groups are not available for campaigns using custom text.
- Select the product(s) you want to advertise.
- Enter your keyword and product targets and bids. Add negative targets (optional).
Submit your ad. Before submitting, review all of your information to ensure you're happy with the results. Note: If you'd prefer to submit you campaign later, you can save it as a draft. You can use drafts to build a campaign over multiple sessions. You can access your saved drafts in the drafts page in the campaign manager.
Sponsored Products have the following maximum limits.
|Campaigns in your account
(active and paused)
|Ad groups in a campaign||20,000|
|Ads in an ad group||10,000 for manual targeting
500,000 for automatic targeting
|Keywords in an ad group
(excluding negative keywords)
|1,000 for manual targeting|
|Ad groups in an account||200,000|
|Ads in an account||2,000,000|
|Keywords in an account (including negative keywords)||2,000,000|
|Category and product targets in an ad group||10,000|
|Campaign negative keywords||1,000|
|Ad group negative keywords||1,000|
|Negative keyword search terms||Negative phrase 4 words or 80 characters
Negative exact 10 words or 80 characters
|Negative products in an group in product targeting||10,000|
Sponsored Brands campaigns help customers discover and engage with your brand in prominent search placements, and generate awareness and consideration with customizable ads that link directly to a landing page or a Store.
Sponsored Brands ads feature your brand logo, a custom headline, and up to three of your products. These ads appear in multiple locations on desktop and mobile pages, including above search results. When Amazon shoppers click your brand logo, they go to a Store or a simple landing page. When shoppers click a product, they go to the product detail page.
These ads are cost-per-click, so you only pay when an Amazon shopper clicks your ad. You control how much you spend by setting your budget and choosing how much to bid per click.
To participate in Sponsored Brands, you must meet certain eligibility requirements.
Sponsored Brands ads feature your profile picture and 3 of your books. These ads appear in multiple locations on desktop and mobile pages, including above search results.
To participate in Sponsored Brands, you must have at least 3 active titles under a single author name. Additionally, when you create an ad, it must meet certain requirements before it gets approved. For more information, see Sponsored Brands eligibility requirements
To create a Sponsored Brands campaign:
- Go to Campaigns, click Create campaign, and select Sponsored Brands.
- Enter your campaign name, start and end date, and budget in the Settings section.
- If you have multiple eligible pen names, select the name of the author to promote on your ad.
Select a minimum of 3 products that you want to include on your ad.
Note: Only the products under the selected pen name will be available.
Build your ad creative:
- Author name.
- Profile picture: You can choose to add a picture of yourself, a book character, your name, or a self-portrait. You can get more specifications when you’re uploading your picture. Make sure that your picture meets our book ads policies.
- Headline: Your ad copy should reflect your brand as an author.
- Select the order of the ASINs on your ad.
- Optionally, you can enable ASIN optimization if you add more than 3 products to your campaign. If you use this option, we'll automatically select the most contextually relevant products from your landing page to feature in your creative. If we don't get a strong relevance signal among your other products, we'll use the default products that you select in your creative.
- Select your targeting and enter your bids.
- Submit your ad for review.
Your ad will go through our review process before your campaign goes live. We'll email you to let you know if your ad was approved or if changes need to be made. The review process is usually completed within 24 hours, but may take as long as 3 business days.
Once your campaign is approved, you can edit the campaign details, such as your landing page, creative, and products by navigating to your campaign and clicking the Edit creative button in the Creative tab.
Ad groups are a way to organize and manage ads within a campaign. You can use ad groups to group your ads by brand, product, category, price range, or other classifications like theme or targeting strategy.
Available multi-language captions are best viewed in the Google Chrome browser.
Each campaign consists of one or more ad groups. The first ad group is created when you create a campaign. You can add more ad groups to the campaign after you've saved it.
We recommend creating ad groups with products that are in the same category. This helps optimize your bidding strategy, relevancy, and targeting.
You set a bid that is used when an ad group's keyword or product targeting triggers an ad to appear. This is called a cost-per-click (CPC) bid.
For Sponsored Products campaigns, you can also set bids for individual keyword or product targets within the ad group. In auto-targeted campaigns, you can apply a single bid to the whole ad group. In manual-targeted campaigns, you can select a common group of keyword or product targets to all the products within the ad group.
Use the following best practices when you're setting up your ad groups:
- Ad group name: Assign an ad group name that is descriptive and meaningful to you. Ad group names must be unique within a campaign, but you can use the same ad group name in different campaigns. Your ad group name will only be used for display purposes in the campaign manager and will not be visible to shoppers.
Products: Select the products from your inventory to include in your ad group. Each of the products that you select will be displayed
as an ad.
- Keyword or product targeting, and bids apply to all products within an ad group, so we recommend choosing products that are closely related to each other. When creating an ad group with manual targeting, we recommend you add as many similar products to the ad group as you can. More products in your ad group increases the likelihood of receiving ad impressions because the products share the same keywords in your ad group.
- You can add new products to an existing ad group at any time. To add products, select the ad group and go to the Products page. Click Add products, and you will see your list of eligible products to add to the ad group. You can add 1,000 products to an ad group at a time.
- Keyword or product targeting: For Sponsored Products campaigns you can use Amazon’s suggested keywords, your own keywords, negative keywords, or target by product.
You can add more ad groups to a campaign after you've saved it.
Whether using auto-targeting or manual targeting, we recommend creating ad groups with products that are in the same category.
To add a new ad group to an existing campaign in the campaign manager:
- Select the Sponsored Products campaign you'd like to add an ad group to.
- Click Create ad group on the campaign's ad group page.
- Enter your ad group name and select the products you want to advertise.
- Continue building your ad group.
- Click Create ad group.
Lockscreen Ads are cost-per-click display ads that enable publishers to promote eBooks and engage readers with interest-targeted ads while they’re on their Kindle E-readers and Fire tablets.
You select your eBook to advertise and choose interests to target (for example, by book genre). You control how much you want to spend on your bids and your budget and can measure your ads’ performance.
The ads serve on the wakescreen and home pages of Kindle E-readers and Fire tablets. When readers who are using a connected device tap your ad, they are directed to the eBook’s detail page. Readers using offline devices are directed to a landing page with a summary of the eBook.
- Lockscreen Ads campaigns are available on Amazon.com only.
- Impression and click data reporting may be delayed as some devices may not always connect with the Internet. Impressions, clicks, and sales within the last 14 days are updated when the device reconnects to the Internet.
Lockscreen Ads appear on the wakescreen and home pages of Kindle E-readers and Fire tablets.
To participate in Lockscreen Ads, you must meet the Book Ads Creative Acceptance Policies.
- Go to Campaigns, click Create campaign, and select Lockscreen Ads.
Enter information in the Settings section:
- Campaign name: The campaign name you choose will be seen only by you in your campaign manager. It won't appear in your ads and will never be visible to shoppers. We recommend choosing a unique name and keeping the default time and date stamp to be able to easily identify your different campaigns. Once you submit your ad, you won't be able to change the campaign name.
- Start/End Date: To allow processing time for devices, your start date will be 2 days from the time you submit the campaign for review. We recommend you run a campaign for a minimum of 4 weeks to make sure your ads get traction. You can pause a campaign at any time and start it up again later. When a campaign reaches its end date it can't be reinstated, so to make changes you would need to copy it, modify, and submit for review.
- Lifetime budget: Your budget is the maximum amount you're willing to spend for the entire ad campaign. Lockscreen Ads require a minimum total budget of $100, but you're only charged when a customer clicks your ad.
- When your goal is to generate clicks as quickly as possible and you do not mind if your campaign runs out of budget before the campaign end date, select Run campaign as quickly as possible. When the goal for the campaign is to serve throughout your campaign dates, select Spread campaign evenly over its duration. You will not be able to adjust this setting after creating the campaign.
- Select your eBook you want to advertise.
- Select relevant interests/genres to target. You can target as many interests per campaign as you like.
- Enter your bid.
- Enter custom text that entices readers. Customized text must include a minimum of 50 characters and a maximum of 150 characters. It needs to be relevant to your eBook and targeting. Do not include any unsubstantiated claims or use all caps. For more information, please see our Book Ads Creative Acceptance Policies.
- Submit your ad for review. Before submitting, review all of your information to ensure you’re happy with the results. Once campaign is approved, you won’t be able to decrease lifetime budget and edit details such as your campaign name, targeting and custom text.
When you create your Lockscreen Ads, your ads will go through our review process. We will email you to let you know if your ad was approved or if changes need to be made. The review process can take up to 72 hours. In creating your ads, please ensure that you accurately describe the eBook advertised.
You can find creative requirements in the Sponsored Ads Creative Acceptance Policy and the Book Ads Creative Acceptance Policies. It is important your ad meets our requirements to pass the moderation review. Here are some key tips:
- Avoid unsupported claims, such as #1 Bestseller, top-selling.
- Check for proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, and capitalization. Start your custom text copy with a capital letter, but do not use ALL CAPS or CaMeL CaSe. Exceptions apply if your brand name is capitalized in the same way.
- Do not use images and custom text that contains or relates to certain content that is not acceptable for a general audience.
If you've created a Lockscreen Ads campaign and want to know why your ad isn't running, review the Ad status.