Have feedback? Can't find your answer in our Help pages?
You have two options for advertising your KDP books: Sponsored Products and Lockscreen Ads. You can create Sponsored Products for your eBooks and paperbacks. Only eBooks are supported for Lockscreen Ads.
- Sponsored Products (eBook and paperback) promote individual titles to readers as they search for books. Sponsored Products are targeted by keywords or products. They appear within search results and on product detail pages across desktop and mobile. With a simple campaign creation process, Sponsored Products is the recommended way to get started advertising. You can run ads on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, and Amazon.de if you have a title eligible in those marketplaces.
- Lockscreen Ads (eBook only) are pay-per-click, interest-targeted display ads that appear on Kindle E-reader and Fire tablet lockscreens and Kindle E-reader home screens. Lockscreen Ads reach customers on their devices, where they are reading and making purchasing decisions. Ads are targeted by genre interests. Lockscreen Ads campaigns are available for campaigns on Amazon.com only.
Sponsored Products is a cost-per-click advertising solution that enables you to promote the products you sell with ads that may appear in highly visible placements on Amazon.
You select your products to advertise and choose keywords or product attributes to target, or let Amazon's systems target relevant keywords automatically. You control how much you want to spend on your bids and budgets and can measure your ads' performance.
The ads serve both on desktop and mobile browsers as well as on the Amazon mobile app. When customers click your ad, they are taken to the advertised product’s detail page.
Amazon will only display your product ads when your product is in the Buy Box at the time the customer views the ad.
To participate in Sponsored Products, you must meet certain eligibility requirements. For more information, go to Sponsored Products eligibility requirements.
To get started, Create a Sponsored Products campaign.
With Sponsored Products your ad is eligible for display in various placements across Amazon.
To participate in Sponsored Products, you must meet certain eligibility requirements. For more information, see advertising eligibility requirements.
To create a campaign for Sponsored Products:
- Go to Campaigns, click Create campaign, and select Sponsored Products.
Enter information in the Settings section.
- Campaign name: The campaign name you choose will be seen only by you in the campaign manager. It won't appear in your ads and will never be visible to shoppers. It's helpful to name your campaign based on the type of products you'll be advertising, or seasonal products you'll promote.
- Portfolio: Portfolios are a group of campaigns that you organize in a way to meet your advertising needs.
- Daily budget: The daily budget is the average amount you are willing to spend on a campaign in one day. It is spread out over one month, and applied across all the days in that month.
- Start/End Date: Select a start and end date that works for you. You can start your campaign immediately, or set a start date in the future, and then run your campaign continuously (no end date). You can pause a campaign at any time and start it up again later. When a campaign reaches its end date, the status will change to ended. You can extend a campaign by changing the end date to a date in the future. You can also archive campaigns that you no longer want to run. Archived campaigns can’t be reinstated, so to make changes, you would need to create a new one.
- Targeting: Targeting uses keywords and products to show your ads on search and detail pages to relevant shoppers. For Sponsored Products campaigns, you can create two types of targeting: automatic and manual.
Select your Ad format.
- Standard: Launch a campaign quickly without custom copy.
Custom: Include your own copy to provide customers with context for your book. The language of the ad must match the language of the
Amazon site you're advertising on. Make sure the text is relevant to your book, spelled correctly, and free of grammatical errors. Note: Custom text is available for campaigns on Amazon.com only.
- Select the product(s) you want to advertise.
- Enter your keywords and bids. Learn more about keywords and bidding
Submit your ad. Before submitting, review all of your information to ensure you're happy with the results. Note: If you'd prefer to submit you campaign later, you can save it as a draft. You can use drafts to build a campaign over multiple sessions. You can access your saved drafts in the drafts tab in the campaign manager.
Sponsored Products have the following maximum limits.
|Campaigns in your account
(active and paused)
|Ads in an ad group||10,000 for manual targeting
500,000 for automatic targeting
|Keywords in an ad group
(excluding negative keywords)
|1,000 for manual targeting|
|Ads in an account||2,000,000|
|Keywords in an account (including negative keywords)||2,000,000|
|Campaign negative keywords||1,000|
|Negative keyword search terms||Negative phrase 4 words or 80 characters
Negative exact 10 words or 80 characters
Lockscreen Ads are cost-per-click display ads that enable publishers to promote eBooks and engage readers with interest-targeted ads while they’re on their Kindle E-readers and Fire tablets.
You select your eBook to advertise and choose interests to target (for example, by book genre). You control how much you want to spend on your bids and your budget and can measure your ads’ performance.
The ads serve on the wakescreen and home pages of Kindle E-readers and Fire tablets. When readers who are using a connected device tap your ad, they are directed to the eBook’s detail page. Readers using offline devices are directed to a landing page with a summary of the eBook.
To get started, Create a Lockscreen Ads campaign.
Video: Lockscreen Ads for eBooks
Lockscreen Ads appear on the wakescreen and home pages of Kindle E-readers and Fire tablets.
To participate in Lockscreen Ads, you must meet the Book Ads Creative Acceptance Policies.
- Go to Campaigns, click Create campaign, and select Lockscreen Ads.
Enter information in the Settings section:
- Campaign name: The campaign name you choose will be seen only by you in your campaign manager. It won't appear in your ads and will never be visible to shoppers. We recommend choosing a unique name and keeping the default time and date stamp to be able to easily identify your different campaigns. Once you submit your ad, you won't be able to change the campaign name.
- Start/End Date: To allow processing time for devices, your start date will be 2 days from the time you submit the campaign for review. We recommend you run a campaign for a minimum of 4 weeks to make sure your ads get traction. You can pause a campaign at any time and start it up again later. When a campaign reaches its end date it can't be reinstated, so to make changes you would need to copy it, modify, and submit for review.
- Lifetime budget: Your budget is the maximum amount you're willing to spend for the entire ad campaign. Lockscreen Ads require a minimum total budget of $100, but you're only charged when a customer clicks your ad.
- When your goal is to generate clicks as quickly as possible and you do not mind if your campaign runs out of budget before the campaign end date, select Run campaign as quickly as possible. When the goal for the campaign is to serve throughout your campaign dates, select Spread campaign evenly over its duration. You will not be able to adjust this setting after creating the campaign.
- Select your eBook you want to advertise.
- Select relevant interests/genres to target. You can target as many interests per campaign as you like.
- Enter your bid.
- Enter custom text that entices readers. Customized text must include a minimum of 50 characters and a maximum of 150 characters. It needs to be relevant to your eBook and targeting. Do not include any unsubstantiated claims or use all caps. For more information, please see our Book Ads Creative Acceptance Policies.
- Submit your ad for review. Before submitting, review all of your information to ensure you’re happy with the results. Once campaign is approved, you won’t be able to decrease lifetime budget and edit details such as your campaign name, targeting and custom text.
When you create your Lockscreen Ads, your ads will go through our review process. We will email you to let you know if your ad was approved or if changes need to be made. The review process can take up to 72 hours. In creating your ads, please ensure that you accurately describe the eBook advertised.
You can find creative requirements in the Sponsored Ads Creative Acceptance Policy and the Book Ads Creative Acceptance Policies. It is important your ad meets our requirements to pass the moderation review. Here are some key tips:
- Avoid unsupported claims, such as #1 Bestseller, top-selling.
- Check for proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, and capitalization. Start your custom text copy with a capital letter, but do not use ALL CAPS or CaMeL CaSe. Exceptions apply if your brand name is capitalized in the same way.
- Do not use images and custom text that contains or relates to certain content that is not acceptable for a general audience.
If you've created a Lockscreen Ads campaign and want to know why your ad isn't running, review the Ad status.